Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lotus?

lotus?

i was just curious if lotus is an independent company cause i cant rember but it seems to they are anyone help? and yes i did search for it first and i couldnt find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifreak013
    i was just curious if lotus is an independent company cause i cant rember but it seems to they are anyone help? and yes i did search for it first and i couldnt find anything.
    The used to be in partership with GM, but i think they are fully independent now...

They work with other companies for help with their parts.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

Guest Guest
    dont proton own them?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    The used to be in partership with GM, but i think they are fully independent now...
    yeah i thought they were with gm for a while. and yeah now that i think about it dont they get there engines from toyota or at least parts of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    dont proton own them?
    Yes.

GM used to own Lotus (hence the Vauxhall Lotus Carlton etc.), now they just collaborate with them. The Opel Speedster / Vauxhall VX220 are essentially the same car with different bodywork, made in the same factory. Lotus still work on many GM chassis (mainly Opel / Vauxhall, such as the Astra) and in return Lotus use GM (again mainly Opel / Vauxhall) switchgear (The Elise and Exige for example, use Vauxhall steering columns and indicator stalks as well as electric window swiches etc.)

Hope that clears things up.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

My understanding was that they were not owned by Proton, but both Lotus and Proton were owned by the Malaysian gov. Please, due correct me if I am incorrect as I may well be.

Everyone loves Lotus. Honestly, who doesn't, deep down inside, love a company that continues to produce, perform, and persists without the aid of a giant cash cow present.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

All hail the esprit!

Quote Originally Posted by sicilian973-2
    All hail the esprit!
    The esprit should be laid to rest, permenantly. I love the esprit, until the V8 was brought into the picture. A v8 in a Lotus is rubish. Lotus eas always about lightweight, excellent handling and a small high performance engines. Long live the straight 4! V8 engines are great, just not in a Lotus.
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 08-25-2006 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    Yes. GM used to own Lotus
    True, GM owned Lotus between 1986 and 1993. In 1993 Lotus was sold to ACBN Holdings, a company controlled by Romano Artioli, who at that time was also the owner of Bugatti Automobili. In 1996 the company's majority share was sold to Perusahaan Otomobil Nasional (Proton).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    My understanding was that they were not owned by Proton, but both Lotus and Proton were owned by the Malaysian gov. Please, due correct me if I am incorrect as I may well be.
    Nope. Proton isn't government-owned. It's a public company, listed on the malaysian stock market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    The esprit should be laid to rest, permenantly.
    Umm, actually it already has been Last Esprits were produced in 2004.
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifreak013
    It only means you don't know where or how to look for it. It took me 30 seconds to find all the info.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    I think he means never to be resurrected.

I am well awhere of that. They plan to revive it as a v8, and, potentially, new body style. That is why is used the word permantly. It should never return. Out of respect for a great car, Lotus should never use the name Esprit again.

Well, IMO V8 engines are perfect for Esprit. Small high-performance 4-cyl. engines are good in racers like Elise/Exige. Esprit was competing with Porsche, Maserati, Ferrari etc. It wouldn't be powerful enough to face this competition with a straight 4
    If something spoiled the Esprit's image for me, it wasn't the V8 engine but all the restylings it got in the 90s.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

this vid on the internet and it was this guy trying to get to 200mph in a lotus esprit
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

Thread Information