Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo 5

Controller...what controller...

Finally tried the Tuscona night race in the Grand Tour events, not sure why so many feel frustrated by this, that was like the most fun I've had in this game so far. The car is tail happy but not stupidly like the Elise in the TG challenge, and without the stupid DQ rules....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    GC controller is excellent (why does no one else to clicky triggers?), and xbox 360 greater than PS3. I never liked the dual shocks, I don't like the left stick being placed where it is. In this day and age, the d-pad is barely used.. why have it in the prime location?

That being said, the d-pad on the 360 pad is hateful. Apparently the fancy twisty new one is much better though. Nintento still have the best d-pads.
    Game Cube? I think that's a mess of a controller. Buttons placed all over the place, etc.

And I don't like the D-pad on the Wii either- too stiff and way too small, your fingers get worn out too quickly.

Have you seen how big the D-pad was on the SNES?

I spent my formative years all over the SNES d-pad.

The GC pad's button layout makes a lot of sense, in the majority of games there's one main button, one secondary button and some periphery ones. Once you get used to it (which doesn't take long) you wonder why more companies don't do it that way. It is shite for fighting games though, but I don't play them. Also the d-pad was a little small and stiff. Overall though, I thought it was great.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I thought the Game Cube controller was ok, but the quality of the buttons and the controller overall was really shit.

I spent my formative years all over the SNES d-pad.

The GC pad's button layout makes a lot of sense, in the majority of games there's one main button, one secondary button and some periphery ones. Once you get used to it (which doesn't take long) you wonder why more companies don't do it that way. It is shite for fighting games though, but I don't play them. Also the d-pad was a little small and stiff. Overall though, I thought it was great.
    exactly - the button's sized by priority was good too, rather than the current trend of small coloured buttons all over the controller
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I thought the Game Cube controller was ok, but the quality of the buttons and the controller overall was really shit.
    I never had any quality issues with my GC pads, and I played rather a bunch of games on there. I got a Wavebird pretty early on and it never went wrong.

somebody makes a ps3 controller that looks like the 360

I may try that out cause I hate the ps3 DS. hurts my left thumb when Im steering cars for too long

the kinect steering for forza 4 looks pretty amazing. Wouldnt be surprised if Sony jumps on that bandwagon soon too.
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Steering without tactile feedback is fail.. better off with a nubstick.

Steering without tactile feedback is fail.. better off with a nubstick.
    this.. have never found a decent wheel, don't care what the hardcore gamers say it still doesn't feel like a car.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Nothing feels really real, but something like a Logi DFP or so is fun, whereas something with no/rubbish force feedback just makes things worse.

the logitech g25 and g27's are probably as good a wheel as you are gonna get but i agree, they miss the mark of 'feeling' like a car. granted they do an ok job of something you can have a bit of fun with, but feeling like a car, i think not.

Saw today that GT5 has only sold 5.5 million copies so far.

Sounds a little low?

But still. thats got to be disappointing?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Nothing feels really real, but something like a Logi DFP or so is fun, whereas something with no/rubbish force feedback just makes things worse.
    They still cost way too much, even compared to the consoles' prices..
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

The "Car" feeling is only really limited to what you can feel in the wheel in a car. You don't feel yaw or pedal feedback or any movement even with a wheel. But a good wheel is good enough to convey grip and loss of it. Which is really all you can get with a commercial level setup.....Anything more you'll need a hexapod...Kinect or Wii type of racing game is fine IMO for something like Mario Kart, but its silly for racing game IMO. I suppose its not that different though compare to just a game pad..
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

All of the top road racing sim racers use force feedback wheels for a reason.

No, they don't simulate what you feel in a real cars steering, but it does what the term means....it does give you feedback as to what the sim car is doing.

I use a G27, and before that a G25, red Momo and black Momo.

DFGT is a very good wheel for the money, I just don't like the flippers on it.

Thread Information