Thread: ATS 1000 Sport 1968

ATS 1000 Sport 1968

ATS 1000 Sport #1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The only links I found to this car, show exactly the shot you just posted. (and one reference to a race in 1968 in Mugello)
    So what is it? related to the original ATS outfit? A predecessor of the German F1 team from the eighties? (unlikely that). A renamed Abarth Spider?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    The only links I found to this car, show exactly the shot you just posted. (and one reference to a race in 1968 in Mugello)
    So what is it? related to the original ATS outfit? A predecessor of the German F1 team from the eighties? (unlikely that). A renamed Abarth Spider?
    I'm afraid I don't know at all. I found it amongst a bunch of other Targa Florio pics without any further information.

EDIT Found something

Quote Originally Posted by www.carsfromitaly.net
    Unfortunately little better awaited ATS, and production of the 2500GT ceased the following year (1964). That year also saw an entry in the Targa Florio. 1968 saw an open, mid-engined race-car emerge, using a tuned Ford 1000 engine and an aluminium body constructed by Fantuzzi. The formula one program continued until 1969.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 01-11-2010 at 05:53 AM.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think nobody knows much about it b/c the driver crashed shortly after from lookin at the camera and not watchin the road lol. Joking aside, pretty cool lookin car, i thought ATS only raced in F1. Shows how much i know

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    There were two different ATS-brands in the history, as Henk already mentioned.

1) the italian ATS, built by former Ferrari-engineers which were fired by Enzo after a disagreement between him and his chief-engineer. They built the 2500GT roadcar, this racecar and a Formula 1 car, which wasn't very good. Brand was closed really soon after.

2) the Formula 1 team of german alloy-wheel-manufacturer ATS in the 1980s.
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

http://www.targapedia.com/index.php?...n&limitstart=4

PILOTI:
    "sangry la" (Romano Martini)
    Alessandro Federico

CATEGORIA:
    sport prototipi-classe fino a 1000 cc

CLASSIFICA:
    rit.4°giro
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Nice link, but hardly more information about the "mysterious" ATS company
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Nice link, but hardly more information about the "mysterious" ATS company
    Bearing the info in my post, it's from the orginal ATS company, a prototype with a 1 litre Ford engine and a Fantuzzi body.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Bearing the info in my post, it's from the orginal ATS company, a prototype with a 1 litre Ford engine and a Fantuzzi body.
    I am now seeing that added in part. I have doubts about its consistency, as the F1 programme ceased in 1964 and not in 1969. There could be a link with the Serenissima efforts (Bizzarrini involvement) from Count Volpi, but by that time the cars were never called ATS.

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    I somewhere have a magazine with the story of italian ATS, will have a look if I can find it. If so I will translate the main parts for everyone.
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Thread Information