Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of The Car

Another thing in favour of german cars, as far as driving is concerned, is that they don't seem to have suffered from the supersizing trend as much as other cars.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Just curious- why can the Hyundai Accent reach 40 mpg highway while the Fiat 500 only gets 32 mpg highway?

These are EPA figures of course, but the price of both cars is approximately the same, but the Hyundai seems to be the better buy, just on the fact that the Hyundai is a bigger car.

Forget about driving dynamics, I'm looking at it from an appliance standpoint.

EPA testing inaccuracies? The Hyundai was probably developed with those tests in mind, whereas the Fiat would've been looking towards Euro tests.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Aerodynamics probably, as well as taller gear ratios and a more efficient engine maybe. Those are the possible explanations I can think of.

From the appliance point of view a Panda or a Punto are far better options than the 500. Maybe even a MiTo.

By the way, does anyone know if the following actually translates to real life? When there are several cars based on the same mechanical hardware it's usually the more expensive that gets the best advertised performance and fuel consumption, is it true when you drive them on the road or are it's just better official figures and nothing else?
    Visca Catalunya!

There are probably citable examples that will 'prove' it both ways. There are many variables in the castle.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I would like to test pairs of cars to see if it really does happen or not. Like A3 v Octavia, C30 v Focus or the aforementioned MiTo v Punto.
    Visca Catalunya!

Or Prius vs CT200h....

On that Hyundai vs Fiat thing, maybe Hyundai does a more US style gearing and has a really tall top gear?
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Having the gear ratios would help, altough in eco conscious commie Euroland gear ratios are getting taller as well, sometimes ridiculously.

Also, are we comparing manuals or automatics? And what sort of engines?
    Visca Catalunya!

Its really vehicle dependent I find.....my old Camry was a 4 speed auto and 4th gear was a tall overdrive for the 2.2 liter 4 that makes only 130bhp. But that means at 85-90mph, I am still under 3000 rpm, and I am still getting over 30mpg. At that point though you'll be hard pressed to pass someone in 4th, so pretty much any kind of tip-in on the throttle the car will kick down to 3rd....My dad's G35 with its 5 speed auto at the same speed is pretty similar in rpm, but relative to that motor the car can still pull pretty hard at speed and I think it actually may be geared close to the limited top speed of 145mph. A rental 04 Pontiac Grand Prix I drove once with its 4 speed, electronically limited to 110mph, in 4th I think its turning @ 2500 rpm, driving at 110mph.....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Well, I've never driven a car (properly and that I can recall) with a manual gearbox that does not achieve its top speed in top gear and that has a overdrive ratio. As a result you always have a reserve of acceleration even in 5th or 6th. However, sometimes I wonder if, in terms of fuel consumption, it's better to floor it in top gear or drop a gear or two and push less the loud pedal to achieve similar acceleration.

This is less relevant in automatic, in my opinion, since it's the car which will decide which gear is best for a given amount of acceleration (altough now you can choose gear manually, but the system can still override you sometimes).
    Visca Catalunya!

Don't lug the engine unless you have to....downshift if you have rev to spare...

I think even Corvette in US have such a ridiculously tall top gear that you hit top speed in 5th rather than 6th.

Newer cars with like 7 or 8 speed box, I think they can afford to make the extra gear overdrive for economy...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I think the manual EDM Camaro SS has a 67km/h @ 1000rpm sixth gear. I doubt any manual gearbox, petrol engined european car has something comparable or that gets even close, supercars excepted.

As a comparison those are the speeds every 1000rpm in sixth for the EDM Corvettes:

-Standard: 73km/h
    -Grand Sport: 72,5km/h
    -Z06: 72,5km/h
    -ZR1: 53,2km/h
    Visca Catalunya!

The average speed of America's 5 Fastest Roads is laughable.

In a hurry? Try one of Americas 5 Fastest Roads

Discuss.
    Visca Catalunya!

Consider most of those road probably have posted limit less than the actual average speed....they are already pretty fast...

We don't have the EU's higher speed limit aside from some states further south(in MI highway limit is 70mph, or 112km/h), and some interstates here I'd be afraid of going too fast mainly for the poor condition they are in, and I think a general lack of competence/awareness of the drivers here...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    and I think a general lack of competence/awareness of the drivers here...
    correct....indicators? mwah....rear mirrors: to check your hair...merging? what's that?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information