Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maserati Shamal 1989-1996

Maserati Shamal 1989-1996

Maserati Shamal

The first image is 1280px, the rest are only 1024px unfortunately.
    Thanks to Sam C for the images
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Maserati Shamal #2

Being nice since 2007.

My one contribution to UCP

I'm proud of myself!

What a nice car, was it any good? I know Maserati had a lot of trouble before Fiat/Ferrari bought them.

It was probably complete and utter pants.

You're right, Maserati went through the equivalent of the Dark Ages between 1970 something right up until the 3200 broke cover. The 3200 was described as miles better than anything recently made my Maserati, and the 3200 itself was full of faults.

Not even one good pic...

...I don't have any either.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    well the car looks nice enough from the front..the rear could do with plenty more work..
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Maserati Shamal #3

Found another one going through some old pics. Full set of images from that event found here

Being nice since 2007.

Is the Shamal mechanically similar to the Biturbo? Biturbo's were completely undeserving of the Maserati name...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Some info taken from wikipedia:

The Maserati Shamal is a small, two-door coupe introduced by Italian automaker Maserati on December 17, 1989. It is named after shamal, a hot summer wind that blows in large areas of Mesopotamia. The Shamal was designed by Marcello Gandini, who is famous for designing the Lamborghini Countach.

The center pillar acts as a roll bar and is always finished in black, a distinguishing characteristic of the Shamal. The name "Shamal" appears on either side of the central pillar in chrome lettering. The car has alloy wheels, a small rear spoiler and a blacked-out grille with chrome accents.

The two-seat interior of the Shamal features extended leather seat cushions, temperature control and the famous Maserati oval clock, which is situated in the centre of the dashboard. The gear lever is finished in elm. While built for comfort as well as performance, the Shamal was not as luxuriously appointed as the similar Maserati Ghibli II.

The front-engined Shamal is powered by a 3.2-litre twin-turbocharged V8 engine producing some 325bhp. It has a six-speed manual transmission and an electronic active suspension control system. This system updates the adjustment on each wheel, based on road conditions and the level of comfort desired.

The Shamal has a top speed of 168 mph (270 km/h) and a 0 to 60 mph acceleration time of 5.3 seconds.

The final year of production for the Maserati Shamal was 1996. Factory figures indicate that 369 Shamals were produced between 1989 and 1996.

Also found this little bit of info: "All Maserati models from the Biturbo's introduction in 1981 until 1997 (except the Quattroporte) were based on the original Biturbo architecture, among them the four-door 420/425, the Spyder, the 228 and the later Shamal and Ghibli II"

Being nice since 2007.

And the 3200 GT also used the Biturbo V8 drivetrain, which was later substitued by the 4.2-litre N/A V8 it now has.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The Shamal is one of my favourite Maserati. I also love the 3200 "Asseto Corsa" and the Ghibli. Thanks for the infos Vaigra.

No problem Piacki, it's one of my favourite modernish Maserati's. There's a red one in my area but he always parks it up a long drive so I can't go and take pictures of it

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    ...Also found this little bit of info: "All Maserati models from the Biturbo's introduction in 1981 until 1997 (except the Quattroporte) were based on the original Biturbo architecture, among them the four-door 420/425, the Spyder, the 228 and the later Shamal and Ghibli II"
    In the US the Biturbo was this car. I like its clean angular lines but it was built to look like a filipino taxi after just a couple of years' use.

I wanted to get one as they are so cheap in the used market but the one I saw was much rougher than this. The dash, seats, and armrest all had dry-rot tears. You'll notice the regular 'Biturbo' is also 6 cylinder. I haven't seen another car quite as disentegrated as that Biturbo, from what looked like exposure to the Texas sun.

1985 Maserati Biturbo
    Price$4,300
    Mileage53,000
    Exterior Color Silver
    Interior Color Brown
    Engine 6 Cylinder/Gasoline
    Drive Type 2 wheel drive - rear

**Autotrader.com pics of regular Biturbo, no Shamal. For comparison only...
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 06-09-2006 at 03:42 PM.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    In the US the Biturbo was this car.
    The original Maserati Biturbo as introduced was this two door saloon with a twin turbo V6. However as general all the cars derived from it, either V6 or V8, including the Shamal, the Karif or the Spider amongst others are commonly known as the Biturbos.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information