Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premium vs. Regular Gas

Premium vs. Regular Gas

I just got back in Egypt for a quick business trip and so I borrowed my parent's car, a 2003 Jeep Cherokee. as i was driving around,i got the dreaded (and very common with this gas guzzler) "low on gas" beep. so i filled it up with regular gas thinking thats what they do. from what i know, consistency is the key word when it comes to gas grade. anyways, later on it turns out they use premium gas and i screwed up !!

whats the best thing to do now, use all the gas in it before refilling with premium? mix premium on the regular gas already in it ? use regular gas for the rest of the car's life ?!!

please advise !!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Shouldn't make any difference aside from poorer performance, running a bit rough etc.

Not an expert though. I'd only be concerned if I'd stuck unleaded in a car that needs lrp or vice versa.

There are lots of people in the UK who run Shell Optimax, which is 100 octane IIRC, but when there aren't any Shell garages about have to use lower grades (95 and 98 octane) with no ill-effects other than the car not being as happy.
    Thanks for all the fish

Just fill it up with premium once you spend half the tank or so, shouldn't really be a problem.

Modern engine management systems detect the early detonation and poor detonation and adjust the mixture, timing and spark accordingly. Mind you a Jeep might not

You'll be fine, no need to panic. It's not like lead v unleaded or diesel v petrol. It'll run shitty at worst. To prevent carbinsation - which woudl be minimal with only one tank of petrol do as suggested and fill up at half tank.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

thanks guys. i will fill it up with premium at half the tank, which i should reach after 10 kms or so !! its really annoying how a modern V6 gets such bad mileage. my 93 STS with the V8 gets better mileage than this 10 year younger V6. by the way, is there anything i can do to get better mileage ? (i know its a stupid question!)

by the way, regular gas over here is 90 octane and the premium is 92. then there is the "super" which is a 95 octane gas.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Misho
    by the way, is there anything i can do to get better mileage ? (i know its a stupid question!)
    first of all: adjust your driving.Drive calmer, shift earlier.
    second of all: get a better car like a French/Italian Diesel car

----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    first of all: adjust your driving.Drive calmer, shift earlier.
    second of all: get a better car like a French/Italian Diesel car
    most people say i drive too calm, especially for a young man.

its an automatic, i dont shift really.

french and italian diesel cars are a possibility in europe, but not in this part of the world !!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

you'll be fine. i doubt jeeps come with a high enough compression ratio to need premium gas anyways and mixing the 2 together will just create mid grade gas and you'll still be fine. the reason some motors need premium gas is because they have high compression ratios. compression is how far the piston compressed the air fuel mixture inside the cylinders. the more you compress the air/fuel the hotter the temps get. if you compress it too much it gets too hot and the mixture will detonate before the spark plug fires. thats what causes pinging and predetonation. so in a high compression motor you use premium gas because the higher octane makes the gas burn SLOWER! it takes more heat to burn high octane gas so thats why you run it in high compression situations. jeeps dont require premium gas from the factory because they dont run high compression in them. not to mention all the sensors and what have you that matra mentioned. you will be fine
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

pump all the reg gas out, then walk to the gas station, fill your pockets with prem gas, walk back to the house.....

repeat as many times as are needed
    pondering things

that happened to me before. my dad yelled for about 45min. lol. but that was only because the escalade was new then
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Misho
    I just got back in Egypt for a quick business trip and so I borrowed my parent's car, a 2003 Jeep Cherokee. as i was driving around,i got the dreaded (and very common with this gas guzzler) "low on gas" beep. so i filled it up with regular gas thinking thats what they do. from what i know, consistency is the key word when it comes to gas grade. anyways, later on it turns out they use premium gas and i screwed up !!

whats the best thing to do now, use all the gas in it before refilling with premium? mix premium on the regular gas already in it ? use regular gas for the rest of the car's life ?!!

please advise !!
    dude please it's not like your driving a super car, it is a jeep get over it.
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17
    that happened to me before. my dad yelled for about 45min. lol. but that was only because the escalade was new then
    if my dad drove an escalade, i would put sand in the gas tank
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by QUATTRO MAN
    dude please it's not like your driving a super car, it is a jeep get over it.
    Jeep or Super Car, they both cost money and takes time and dedication to buy one... For some of us owning a Jeep is as hard as for others owning an expensive Super Car, don't see what's the problem with being concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Jeep or Super Car, they both cost money and takes time and dedication to buy one... For some of us owning a Jeep is as hard as for others owning an expensive Super Car, don't see what's the problem with being concerned.
    well...if you get a REALLY expensive supercar you wont even have to take care of it....the company will do it for you

im thinking of the enzo here
    pondering things

Thread Information