Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VW twincharging

VW twincharging

Hello first post so here goes.

I was doing some reading and i came across a new engine used in Euro market Golf's. I was a 1.3 liter supercharged and turbocharged direct-injection engine, I use the supercharger for lower end torque, then switched to a small turbo for the rest of the power band. It reportedly had 170 hp w/ 177 lbft of torque (maybe off on the torque #). with that it also turned in EPA of 38MPG. I wonder why VW wouldn’t bring this engine to the US. with gas prices as they are I would buy one. in the same story they made mention of a 1.2 and a 1.4 liter versions as well. 1.2 with 150 and the 1.4 with 190. personally I would like to see a larger 2.0 four with the same system with maybe 300 hp. anyway it seems like something that might help boost performance while keeping MPG down a bit

Emmisions and cost mostly, they'll will most likely bring it here eventually.

A bit of basic info here if you want it.

cool engine, my question is does it add alot more weigh and bulk to the car, it said it was comprable to a 2.3 liter engine, but is it bigger then one ??

gas prices in the states HAHAHAHA you aint seen the prices in EU then...in denmark we pay about 1.87US $ pr Liter thats 1.47 Euro......
    Aint Nothin' Lika A Benz....

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    cool engine, my question is does it add alot more weigh and bulk to the car, it said it was comprable to a 2.3 liter engine, but is it bigger then one ??
    The Golf GT is a very good car in my opinion, and of course it's all due to the engine, other than that it's just a Golf. The engine dispalces 1390cc and has two version for the moment. A 140bhp/163ft-lb (mounted in the Golf, the Jetta and the Touran) and a 170bhp/177ft-lb (the engine on the Golf GT). The Golf GT is actually a veru good performaing car, it can do 137mph and 0-62 comes in 7"9 seconds, and yet it does return 38mpg. About the weight it's about 50kg less than the GTI (GT: 1271kg). All in all I like it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

i did read that VW was also thinking of using the 1.4/190hp engin in the gti maybe in the states.
    for all of the more tech savy do you think that a twin chaging system could be made after-market for other car brands??

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Emmisions and cost mostly, they'll will most likely bring it here eventually.
    the engine im guessing i going to be used to replace the TDI because of the newer emmisions in the states and europe. from what i know the golf GT cost less than the 170hp TDI golf europe. from that i think that the twincharger system cost less than all of the systems that clean up the TDI engine.

Quote Originally Posted by torampettoshuji
    the engine im guessing i going to be used to replace the TDI because of the newer emmisions in the states and europe. from what i know the golf GT cost less than the 170hp TDI golf europe. from that i think that the twincharger system cost less than all of the systems that clean up the TDI engine.
    The current TDI pump nozzle engines are going to be replaced by common rail versions during the coming years. Emissions and noise production can be better controlled with this type of injection system (also applied in the Audi R10 racer.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

i did read that VW was also thinking of using the 1.4/190hp engin in the gti maybe in the states.
    for all of the more tech savy do you think that a twin chaging system could be made after-market for other car brands??
    No and no. You could be happy if they bring the 140bhp TSi, but I highly doubt they'll bring the TSi engines at all to the states.
    Visca Catalunya!

there is a twincharging system for the mini. designed by the Helix Minisports company out of pittsburgh, PA, will take a mini to over 250hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Helix
    Here it is, the ultimate in MINI tuning packages: the TurboKompressor combines the advantages of the supercharger with power output of a Turbocharger. The kit includes all of the parts necessary to turn your car into a Porsche 996 beating monster. Needless to say, this is not for the faint-of-heart.

The prime motivator for the kit is a Garrett GT28rs turbocharger: a twin ball-bearing, oil and water cooled unit capable of flowing more than 350hp. It is controlled by a Turbosmart eboost boost contoller/boost gauge and pod. This allows the user to control waste gate actuation and electronically select boost levels. A custom cast exhaust manifold, warranteed for five years feeds the turbo. Cast manifolds are much less likeley to fail over the long run in turbo applications. A stainless steel 2.5 inch downpipe with integrated catalytic converter allows the car to run closed loop operation with no oxygen sensor "trickers". The charge pipes are 5 layer reinforced silicon tubing with integrated Turbosmart blow-off valve. Turbo gurus from Psi-Fi motorsports designed fuelling, timing, and optional AquaMist controlling. They use their ingenius Psi-Fi PowerPaq computer which is capable of real-time tuning. It controls the 500cc injectors. All lines, fittings and fasteners are of Porsche quality.

At this time, the TurboKompressor kit is only available for installation at our Philadelphia facility. Please inquire about options for car shipment and delivery.

The dyno graph is of the TurboKompressor kit in its most basic form, running a peak boost of 21.5 pounds, versus a popular similarly priced tuning kit available nation-wide. All testing was done on our Mustang MD-250 dyno, and represents wheel horsepower, uncorrected, and un-modified.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

This isn't "twincharging". They only say the the Mini is equipped with a twin ball-bearing turbocharger, which combines the advantages of the turbocharger (high power output) with the advantages of the supercharger (low end punch). But nowhere it says that the engine has a turbocharger and a supercharger. The "twincharging" system is way too complicated to be installed aftermarket, at least for now.
    Visca Catalunya!

umm, no. they hook the stock Supercharger into the aftermarket Turbocharger, then into the intake manifold... therefore: Twincharge

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey
    umm, no. they hook the stock Supercharger into the aftermarket Turbocharger, then into the intake manifold... therefore: Twincharge
    Really? I'm impressed then...
    Visca Catalunya!

iwould do it, but its like 6 grand, youhave to do it in COlorado or PA, and it is certain to tear up the rest of your drive line

Thread Information