Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CART vs. F1

tires:
    CART=many sets
    F1=One set per weekend
    money:
    F1=$400to500mil per year (ferrari alone)
    Cart=? but not that much
    Popularity:
    F1>>>CART
    also, Shumacher is one of the most popular atheletes in the world, he is also the highest paid ~$60mil per year.

CART does race internationally (Mexico,South Korea,Austrailia, China next year).
    The question of rallye diver vs. F1 will never be settled. However, Loeb won the 2004 ROC against the FRenault driver who beat Schumacher...

in racing im more interested in the cars than the racing so for me there is no comparison to F1. but what i do like about CART is that they run on ovals twice a year. i think it would be really cool to see at least one included on the F1 calendar. Also the access seems to be better in CART, though nothing will ever compare to ALMS.
    Last edited by johnnyperl; 04-11-2005 at 04:21 PM.

*yawns* yippy! round and round and round and round and round and round and round x500
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

heh.... you design a 900+ horsepower engine that can withstand two and a half hours of full throttle racing
    eat cicada

why would i want to do that. its boring seeing a car go round and round and round..

the only decent parts are the crashes.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

its true, unfortunatly rallye is just as boring except for the super specials where they just go...
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    round and round and round and round and round and round and round
    ...once

were getting off topic, but i hate that rallye is racing the clock. not to say i dont like the sport, but i find it very boring. i love the cars though (i drive an impreza). at least we americans know how to make it interesting. At the ProRally here in oregon (OregonTrail Prorallye) instead of a SuperSpecial stage they took the cars to the racetrack and ran a special stage on the access roads then held a drag race. And to get back on topic, they also use the track for a CART race...

new topic; F1 vs. any and everything
    Last edited by johnnyperl; 04-11-2005 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLETON
    heh.... you design a 900+ horsepower engine that can withstand two and a half hours of full throttle racing
    Easy, but i think theyre only 800 horsepower and even then, twin turbo.

Now design a 900+ horsepower, naturally aspirated, that can last 1500km
    I am the Stig

Cart cars
    1500 lbs
    2.65 liter turbocharged V8 made by Ford
    750hp and 800hp with overtake button
    steel brakes
    slick tires

F1 cars
    1323 lbs with driver
    3 liter V-10 normally aspriated engines
    900+ hp
    carbon brakes
    grooved tires
    traction/launch control

There is definately a talent gap in favor of F1 over Champ cars these days. But there sure have been some good drivers to come out of CART and have success in F1. Such as Juan Montoya, Nigel Mansell, and I believe Jacques Villenueve used to race champ cars.

Quote Originally Posted by NAZCA C2
    But there sure have been some good drivers to come out of CART and have success in F1. Such as Jacques Villenueve used to race champ cars.
    HAHAHA oh thats a good one!

btw both IRL and CART runs carbon brake on ovals....

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl
    HAHAHA oh thats a good one!
    Oh com'on. He was good for... two years (96-97) and even won the championship in 97.

yeah youre right, after i posted that i went and looked up some results. i think his problem was that he was over-hyped. although i cant name one off the top of my head, there are some F1 drivers that have competed in hundreds of GPs with very few wins, not to mention Titles. they survived because they didnt have a famous llast name.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    (...)because F1 drivers are rather pathetic on dirt(...)
    Maybe that's because they don't race, practice, or test on dirt, gravel or snow.

And for thiose who think Rally is harder, bare in mind that F1 isn't about simply being fast. It's about being as fast and precise as possible for 300kms non stop. There are no trees next to the track, but there is also very little room for error. Even when the drivers aren't pushing it to the max, they must always be focused and concentrated, any little mistake can ruin the race. Nowadays, they can't even allow themselves to lock up the tyres, and they must race knowing that the engine has to last 2 weekends, so it's no use to drive balls out one race and provoke an engine failure on the next.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

What about the IRL, is that a whole new type of cars or just a racing series? And are the cars anydifferent from teh Kart and F1?

F1 cars are more advanced and high tech than Champ cars and champ cars are more advanced than IRL cars. IRL cars are the slowest of the 3 types of cars.

IRL cars
    -32 valve normally asspirated V8 engines
    -they have about 650hp
    -They have a rev limiter set at 10300 rpm's
    -IRL cars are slightly heavier than champ cars at 1525lbs
    -IRL cars have significantly less downforce than F1 cars or champ cars because they mainly race on ovals

http://www.indycar.com/tech/chassis.php

I don't know about IRL being more low tech than Champ car though, chassis wise they are only 2 years old, compare to Champ Car which is basically the same since 2001 with minor variation over the years. The engine on Champ Car has been freezed for sometimes now while IRL has manufacturer fighting for bragging rights. They might be less powerful but they have plenty of development in them for what they are allowed to do. They are slower because they are limited in a lot of area, but no necessarily less advance...

They need more power to be more impressive though, on the oval they don't seem that bad but on road courses it shows quite badly....

Thread Information