Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Just 6 drivers at USA Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock827
    and i suppose slowing down their cars would solve that tire exploding problem? since that's what adding the chicane do? why don't they learn to slow down?
    Because the drivers are arrogant and take the corners as fast as possible. I doubt they'd go slow and lose the race.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Because the drivers are arrogant and take the corners as fast as possible. I doubt they'd go slow and lose the race.
    It's also a matter of how slow is "slow"? As the commentators on ITV stated, there simply wasn't enough science on the matter to say how much a driver would have to ease off during a corner. The Michelin engineers didn't know exactly why the tyres were blowing so they couldn't say "slow down to 150mph and you should be ok" or something like that. The chicane solution was the best way to ensure the cars were going as slow as possible and ensuring the drivers couldn't just throw caution to the wind and hammer round at full speed if they thought it neccessary.

Plus there is also the fact that you can't just tell them to slow down a bit because you'd have 6 cars doing 190mph and 14 going a hell of a lot less. That's just plain unsafe IMHO.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    In 2003 there was a rule that the tyre suppliers could only bring one type of wet weather tyre to a grand prix. They had to chose between intermediates or full wets. Bridgestone brought their legendarily good intermediate whereas Michelin played safe and went with full wets at Interlagos.

The hours before the start of the race saw absolute monsoon conditions. Bridgestone complained that it was unsafe for their teams to go out in those conditions because they had the wrong tyres so a compromise was agreed with the Michelin teams and Charlie Whiting that they would first delay the race, and then begin the race under safety car conditions and continue until the rain eased off and there was a slightly drier line on the track. I don't remember exactly how long it was until the safety car pulled off and racing began in anger but it was a few laps.

The Michelin teams would've been well within their rights to refuse this request and force the Bridgestone runners to either skate around at 50mph for 5 laps or perhaps not even start the race at all. In fact it was made worse for the Michelin teams by the fact that it was a Bridgestone shod Jordan driven by Fisichella that won the race (albeit in rather bizarre circumstances!). On that occassion the Michelin teams, the FIA and race director Charlie Whiting were all universally acclaimed for showing common sense.

I can't remember exactly how many teams were on the specific tyres but I think it was 50-50, with Ferrari, Minardi, Jordan, Sauber and BAR on the Bridgestones. I could be wrong on that one though!
    I agree that there is a similarity here, but in this case the outside elements played a decisive role, while today we are looking at a structural problem. There was no way to get things safe. Furthermore that chances that sliding Bridgestone cars would have taken out the Michelin cars one by one could also have played a part in the consideration to postpone the race until circumstances had improved. But yes in this case they changed the rules in the interest of safety.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

if the chicane makes the cars go 50mph, then slow the car to 50mph. Michelin has to know a certain limit if they suggest the chicane would solve the problem.

F1 cars have brakes lock-up and slow to a halt all the time. it wouldn't have as much danger as people think. drivers should know how to avoid contact. mixed class racing also dun have that problem..

And how about the rules that might come in 2008?? I think the plans are:
    - return of the slick tyre
    - one tyremanufacturer for all teams

The first rule seems ok, but the second sucks. One of the little joys of todays F1, is the competition between Michelin and Bridgestone... It's good to see to see that competition back on the track and it brings more fun while Michelins are generally better in hot condition, but the Bridgestones are remarkebaly better in rain (at least last season, no wet race this season yet). Why does the FIA mess with this?? It isn't going to make F1 more fun...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

my bet would be that Michelin will retire at the end of the season, solving the one make tyre problem
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    my bet would be that Michelin will retire at the end of the season, solving the one make tyre problem
    i hardly think thats likely henk, read this (courtesy of itv-f1.com)

Michelin’s top brass have defended their actions at Indianapolis and reaffirmed their commitment to Formula 1.

"I really don't believe this will have an effect on Michelin's future in Formula One," the company’s deputy director of competition Frederic Henry-Biabaud told Reuters.

"We are convinced our decision was a professional and a responsible one in line with our policy of 100 percent safety.

“We regret the consequences of this but we certainly do not regret our decision.

“We believe that it (building a chicane) was realistic and feasible but, for their own reasons, the sport's officials ruled it out.”

While admitting that his company “screwed up” by bringing unsuitable tyres, Michelin boss Pierre Dupasquier defended its handling of the subsequent crisis.

“We worked, we brought the right solution, we acted with responsibility and after that I have no regrets,” he told Autosport's website.

Duspasquier said that the problem was not related to the tyres’ wear rate, but was caused specifically by the nature of Turn 13 at Indianapolis and the track’s new surface.

“We did three days' testing on the machines and the tyres conform to our specification, so they are just not suited to this place,” he said.

“If we said slowing down on Turn 13 would make it safe, it means we have a reasonably good idea what the cause was.

“The new surface is likely to be part of it."

Michelin is likely to be castigated by the FIA.

Technical delegate Charlie Whiting has already suggested that Michelin should have had an alternative tyre on hand before problems arose.

If a different tyre had been introduced before qualifying, there would have been no grounds for a penalty.

Whiting insinuated that, by not providing an alternative tyre in advance, Michelin had already breached F1’s rules.

“We are very surprised that this difficulty has arisen,” said Whiting in a letter to Michelin.

“As you know, each team is allowed to bring two different types of tyre to an event so as to ensure that a back-up (usually of lower performance) is available should problems occur.

“It is hard to understand why you have not supplied your teams with such a tyre given your years of experience at Indianapolis.

“That the teams you supply are not in possession of such a tyre will also be a matter for the FIA to consider in due course under Article 151c of the International Sporting Code.”

That article refers to “any act prejudicial to the interests of motor sports generally” – a charge that could certainly be made against Sunday’s hollow grand prix.

to this I would respond that in the case Michelin would already now announce its withdrawel at the end of the season, that would cast a serious shadow over the development work during the remainder of this season. Of course they will not throw the towel right now, but the last word has not yet been said about this, and no doubt the first word will be said soon in some courts in the world.

It's really more of the FIA's fault than Ferrari's, as Ferrari said that they would leave up to the FIA to decide, but Jean Todt said that Ferrari would've protested had a chicane been installed. And I know that "it wouldn't be fair" to the prepaired teams, but at least I would've gotten to see a race. Either have the other teams race for no points or let the Bridgestone teams start at the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf03
    That's exactly what I've been trying to say!!! Michelin said this: "There is a problem with Turn 13 and 1 set of Michelin may not be able to hold up for the whole race". So the problem is easily solvable. Make a sign and tell the drivers to be careful in that corner and if the driver's life is in danger because of the tires, they are allowed to change the tires, so the teams could have change the tires at least once if they felt it was necessary. It's a no-brainer.
    There is nothing wrong with turn 13/IRL turn 1. The IRL ran thousands of miles on it in May after it was repaved and ground twice. This falls on Michelin for not building a tire that can withstand the vertical loads that that unique corner presents.

And everyone, stop with the Ferrari conspiracy. The FIA has bent over backward to make the Ferraris slower. It's finally worked, and now because SF said they'd agree with whatever the FIA decided, they're suddenly the bad guys? How do you even know that if Ferrari had voted for the chicane that the FIA would have agreed to it?

As for the chicane itself: You want the track modified so the Michelin cars could race competitively and safely? Well where is the line with it? What about the Minardis every week? Should the McLarens and Williams cars carry an extra 150kilos in ballast? Or maybe they have to run a rev limiter that will only let them turn 15,000RPM?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

F1.com press release
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula1.com
    Michelin teams summoned by FIA

The FIA has ordered the seven Michelin teams to appear at a hearing of its World Motor Sport Council on Wednesday June 29 following their controversial withdrawal from the US Grand Prix.

The dummy grid.
    Formula One World Championship, Rd 9, United States Grand Prix, Race, Indianapolis, USA, 19 June 2005

The summons follows a statement issued by Formula One racing’s governing body earlier on Monday, in which it outlines its position on Michelin's decision to pull out of the race. The statement reads:

"Formula One is a sporting contest. It must operate to clear rules. These cannot be negotiated each time a competitor brings the wrong equipment to a race.

"At Indianapolis we were told by Michelin that their tyres would be unsafe unless their cars were slowed in the main corner. We understood and among other suggestions offered to help them by monitoring speeds and penalising any excess. However, the Michelin teams refused to agree unless the Bridgestone runners were slowed by the same amount. They suggested a chicane.

"The Michelin teams seemed unable to understand that this would have been grossly unfair as well as contrary to the rules. The Bridgestone teams had suitable tyres. They did not need to slow down. The Michelin teams’ lack of speed through turn 13 would have been a direct result of inferior equipment, as often happens in Formula One. It must also be remembered that the FIA wrote to all of the teams and both tyre manufacturers on June 1, 2005, to emphasise that "tyres should be built to be reliable under all circumstances".

"A chicane would have forced all cars, including those with tyres optimised for high-speed, to run on a circuit whose characteristics had changed fundamentally – from ultra-high speed (because of turn 13) to very slow and twisting. It would also have involved changing the circuit without following any of the modern safety procedures, possibly with implications for the cars and their brakes. It is not difficult to imagine the reaction of an American court had there been an accident (whatever its cause) with the FIA having to admit it had failed to follow its own rules and safety procedures.

"The reason for this debacle is clear. Each team is allowed to bring two types of tyre: one an on-the-limit potential race winner, the other a back-up which, although slower, is absolutely reliable. Apparently, none of the Michelin teams brought a back-up to Indianapolis. They subsequently announced they were flying in new tyres from France but then claimed that these too were unsafe.

"What about the American fans? What about Formula One fans world-wide? Rather than boycott the race the Michelin teams should have agreed to run at reduced speed in turn 13. The rules would have been kept, they would have earned Championship points and the fans would have had a race. As it is, by refusing to run unless the FIA broke the rules and handicapped the Bridgestone runners, they have damaged themselves and the sport.

"It should also be made clear that Formula One Management and Indianapolis Motor Speedway, as commercial entities, can have no role in the enforcement of the rules."
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock827
    so support ferrari makes me a fanboy?

i'm sorrie but u have yet to provide any points to support your arguements. (or against mine)
    BUT I DID: you said that its not ferrari's fault they didnt race, but really it was, ferrari was soooo desperate for a win that they saw the oppertunity and took it, by opposing to opening the chicane, (them being the only ones) they essentially just got points for nothing, they arent on michilins obviously, so they were one of the few that could still race, their only competition was a ckae walk, by being so stubborn their only motive was getting points

ferrari is like alot of italian people; doing anything to win, moral or not
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    BUT I DID: you said that its not ferrari's fault they didnt race, but really it was, ferrari was soooo desperate for a win that they saw the oppertunity and took it, by opposing to opening the chicane, (them being the only ones) they essentially just got points for nothing, they arent on michilins obviously, so they were one of the few that could still race, their only competition was a ckae walk, by being so stubborn their only motive was getting points

ferrari is like alot of italian people; doing anything to win, moral or not
    The FIA said that regardless of if Ferrari had voted one way or the other (which they didn't), a chicane would not have been installed. Stop with the conspiracy theories.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

The FIA and the big shots that run F1 are the ones that should be blamed for the USGP debacle. These new tire rules are ridiculous! This latest USGP fiasco will probably mark the death of F1.

Hopefully people will realize that F1 completely sucks now and will support road racing instead of F1. I hope some of the big car makers will focus their racing efforts on Le Mans style racing and return road racing to prominance.

Quote Originally Posted by NAZCA C2
    The FIA and the big shots that run F1 are the ones that should be blamed for the USGP debacle. These new tire rules are ridiculous! This latest USGP fiasco will probably mark the death of F1.

Hopefully people will realize that F1 completely sucks now and will support road racing instead of F1. I hope some of the big car makers will focus their racing efforts on Le Mans style racing and return road racing to prominance.
    This all started with Bernie, now the events happening are his byproduct. I think F1 by no means 'sucks', but it needs to go through some boot-camp and set itself straight again.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information