Thread: '05 Dodge Charger R/T test drive

'05 Dodge Charger R/T test drive

So i was driving home from work on Friday and heard this little voice begging for the smell of some burnt rubber. I happened to be driving past a Dodge dealership that just received their first shipment of Chargers the night before.

I drove the Mustang GT in Detroit back in January during the NAIAS and determined that I needed to complete a comparison between the two new pony cars. I introduced myself (UCP, etc) to a salesman and explained my intentions. "No problem, we even have an R/T model that just got it's dealer plate."

It was metallic black with tan leather interior. Drove it a short distance before calling a mechanic buddy of mine. Told him I was on my way over to his shop for him to check out something I was test-driving. He presumed I was driving something used, and wanted him to inspect it. He was a bit surprised, and thrilled when I arrived moments later. We took a quick rip around the cul-de-sac in front of his shop, leaving some black stripes behind. It's a beast of a car compared to my Mazda 3, but I quickly recalled all the fun of a RWD car, since my old Volvo 740 Turbo.

All in all it wasn't a long enough drive, since I only had 20 min before the dealership was closing. A few short stretches to play with the Auto-stick tranny and so on, but no time for any 120+ kph runs. Oddly enough after a few squaking starts and loud corners a <!> warning light came on the dash with an annoying beep. I told the salesman when i returned and his only remark was, "It probably hasn't even had it's PDI yet" That's what I call a fresh car. I can say that it definitely felt more powerful, (beyond what the specs say), but didn't sound as powerful as the Mustang GT.

Another buddy of mine is a die-hard Dodge fan and is itchin' to buy a Daytona model, especially after I teased him about my drive. We'll hopefully find some time next week to take it for a more in-depth run.

A great Friday afternoon drive nonetheless. I still wouldn't buy one (anything domestic actually), but that's just me. I'll gladly drive anything to see what it's worth though.
    Last edited by <AAA-MOD>; 06-12-2005 at 08:07 PM.
    aka: Rob Clements, Ultimatecarpage North American Correspondent
    "big durango", formerly known as the "MEDIA MASTER", (title now belonging to Matt)

nice review. whats a PDI?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    nice review. whats a PDI?
    Post-Delivery Inspection.

(another one of those cost items you see in the fine print of new vehicle purchase agreements)
    "big durango", formerly known as the "MEDIA MASTER", (title now belonging to Matt)

they let you drive it alone?! here they would go with you for sure!!!
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by <AAA-MOD>
    So i was driving home from work on Friday and heard this little voice begging for the smell of some burnt rubber. I happened to be driving past a Dodge dealership that just received their first shipment of Chargers the night before.

I drove the Mustang GT in Detroit back in January during the NAIAS and determined that I needed to complete a comparison between the two new pony cars. I introduced myself (UCP, etc) to a salesman and explained my intentions. &quot;No problem, we even have an R/T model that just got it's dealer plate.&quot;

It was metallic black with tan leather interior. Drove it a short distance before calling a mechanic buddy of mine. Told him I was on my way over to his shop for him to check out something I was test-driving. He presumed I was driving something used, and wanted him to inspect it. He was a bit surprised, and thrilled when I arrived moments later. We took a quick rip around the cul-de-sac in front of his shop, leaving some black stripes behind. It's a beast of a car compared to my Mazda 3, but I quickly recalled all the fun of a RWD car, since my old Volvo 740 Turbo.

All in all it wasn't a long enough drive, since I only had 20 min before the dealership was closing. A few short stretches to play with the Auto-stick tranny and so on, but no time for any 120+ kph runs. Oddly enough after a few squaking starts and loud corners a &lt;!&gt; warning light came on the dash with an annoying beep. I told the salesman when i returned and his only remark was, &quot;It probably hasn't even had it's PDI yet&quot; That's what I call a fresh car. I can say that it definitely felt more powerful, (beyond what the specs say), but didn't sound as powerful as the Mustang GT.

Another buddy of mine is a die-hard Dodge fan and is itchin' to buy a Daytona model, especially after I teased him about my drive. We'll hopefully find some time next week to take it for a more in-depth run.

A great Friday afternoon drive nonetheless. I still wouldn't buy one (anything domestic actually), but that's just me. I'll gladly drive anything to see what it's worth though.
    Thanks for the review, I just don't think a 4 door sedan qualifies as a pony car though.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Thanks for the review, I just don't think a 4 door sedan qualifies as a pony car though.
    you have a point, but i look at it this way:

The mustang has been around a long time, and hasn't had the hiatus that the Charger had. Therefore, the younger crowd has consistently been in touch and interested in it. The Charger however has been off the market for so many years that they're probably expecting it to appeal more to the age group that remembers the original, which more likely are family men/women now. i think those four doors are aimed at them.

you could also argue that the independent suspension on the Charger isn't pony-like either (Ford would argue that anyways).

I saw one of them the other day...they looked but ugly in the pics but in person they don't look that bad. I still want to take a new GTO for a spin! And then maybe one of those Chargers

Thread Information