Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I have this theory....

So I have this theory....

I was thinking one day, about traction, and what ways there were to improve it without hindering high speed performance, or added weight. So, naturally, there are limited slips, traction control, etc. etc. But then, I began to think about a variable traction system. One that would create insane amounts of traction at a launch, and lessen it as speed increased (where tire spin is not a factor). So, here's the answer to my traction problem. It's a wheel, made out of some lightweight material, with tubes isnterted into it. Insides these tubes are lead (or some heavy/small weight) weights connected to a electronically controlled resistor. This is all confusing, I know, so refer to the attachment. As the ECU detects tire spin, it sends a signal to the risistors to lower the resistance pressure, hence, the weights will move outward toward the endge of the wheel. Centrifugal force makes it seem as though there is more weight on the wheel, hence more traction, without the downside of added weight. As tire spin lessens and goes away, the ECU again sends signals to the resistors when increase their resistance, and move the weights back toward the center of the wheel. So, you're losing all the downsides of adding weight to the edge of a wheel.

Problems,
    -Weight of resistance is too much for a small electronic resistor to handle?
    -Powering the resistance on a spinning wheel?
    -Would it be beneficial?
    -Cost issues?

So, if anyone else can throw out any issues you see with it, or could help me design this thing, I'll let you in on the money I get from selling this to Toyota .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sometimes the best view of heaven is from hell.

Hmm...oohh....Wow!! These are delectible! Good news, Flappy! I'm not going to kill you!

Is there a problem with just getting good tires?

You are adding 40lbs to each wheel, then adding the tire and other part of the wheel, it will probably be 75 pounds per each wheel, thats quite a bit over the top for a performance vehicle.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Think of it as comparable to variable valving. Can't you just buy a bigger displacement car?

And tires that fit in wheel wells will always have traction problems at some point. Besides, I thought of this as more street-oriented

Hmm...oohh....Wow!! These are delectible! Good news, Flappy! I'm not going to kill you!

Balance will be an issue. Once the weights move outwards, if the spring rates aren't the exact same(something that is pretty tough to get exactly the same) it would cause unbalance in the wheel.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

I'm not sure how this would actually benefit the traction, the weight over the rear axle remains constant, the weight of the wheels remains constant, what it does is makes the wheels require more torque to spin them once the weights move outwards. That in itself would give a marginal increase I suppose, but not one that would be any different than a good traction control system in eventual outcome.

yeah and the extra power to propel that car with the same force would be tremendous, and also it would greatly affect handling, but as a plus the c of g is lowerd, thus producing a slightly better handling effect
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by Godlaus
    I was thinking one day
    was that day today?

woo hoo
    post 996
    Last edited by targa; 06-17-2005 at 09:35 PM.
    pondering things

one mlre and its 997!!!
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

40lbs unsprung weight = bad. Cost/benefit analysis says it's not a good idea.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    40lbs unsprung weight = bad. Cost/benefit analysis says it's not a good idea.
    lol, i was gonna say that too, about the unsprung weight.because of the 40lbs x 4 = 160lbs of extra unsprung weight the handling will deteriorate.Every car designer tries to limit the amount of unsprung weight.maybe this could be better if it wasn't placed on the wheel but instead on the prop shaft(=?right word?).perhaps mounted just after the gearbox...

good thinking !if noone has such ideas humanity would still be living in caves

i think its time they changed the track insted of the tires

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    was that day today?

woo hoo
    post 996
    What the hell is it with you and taking words out of context?

If you don't have anything to add, then shut up.

Your braking is gonna suffer real bad with wheels full of lead.

Am I missing something here?

You say you are going to employ weights at a variable PCD to add an adjustable centrifugal force to the wheel?

How is this possibly going to aid traction?

If you think about it, the centrifugal force caused by the weights as the wheel rotates will act in every direction from the wheel centre, completely cancelling each other out! What a waste of time.

You might reduce wheel spin a little because of the increase in inertia of the wheel due to the mass moving to a larger radius.
    Last edited by M Doe; 06-21-2005 at 04:45 AM.

mpackham is right... this will not increase the traction of the wheel AT ALL since the mass on the tire stays the same, the normal force exerted by the road must stay the same, the coefficient of friction remains constant, and therefore the force of frictions is not changed. This would reduce the wheelspin because the angular momentum would be conserved meaning a lower wheel velocity, but the wheels shouldnt be spinning in the first place with a good driver. This would only be a benifit to someone who accidently had the wheels spin, and would not be useful at all in raising the perfermance of the vehicle.

I think you made common mistake... there's no such thing as centrifugal force, its not real please don't argue with me about that because it basic physics

Good idea though, creative... I won't even mention the disadvantages of this since theyve been pretty thoroughly discussed

Thread Information