Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi 380 VRX Road Test

Mitsubishi 380 VRX Road Test

MITSUBISHI 380 VRX ROAD TEST

While I was in Adelaide during the weekend just passed, I was able to rent a Mitsubishi 380 VRX for three days from Europcar and see for myself first hand how they go.
    First impressions are good. The car I’m given for the three days is a gold colour – a little loud, but unmistakable and helps to give the car some character. Turn the key and the sports exhaust sounds fantastic on start up, with a distinctive burble.
    Inside, there are comfortable sports seats, and a leather steering wheel. After a bit of playing around, a comfortable driving position is found.
    Second impressions are not so great. There is a tacky plastic “metal look” strip along the dashboard, which is supposed to give the car’s interior a sporty feel. Then the plastic used on the dashboard is coarse to the touch. During the three days, a couple of rattles in the stereo speakers became apparent. This car had done just 1800 km when I picked it up, so I really feel that Mitsubishi has missed the mark when it comes to providing a quality feel to the interior and the rattles lead me to question the long term build quality as well.
    The dashboard itself looks okay, though I prefer the Falcon BA’s dashboard which is angled more towards the driver. The main dials (speedo and tacho) and nicely presented and easily readable. The “command centre” in the middle of the dash houses displays for the stereo controls, air conditioning temperature and outside temperature. Very easy to read.
    All the controls fall easily to hand and are intuitive. There are just three complaints about the ergonomics. First, the steering wheel has tilt adjustment, but no reach adjustment. This is cost cutting at its worst, and helps make finding the ideal driving position a bit harder. Second, I couldn’t see any steering wheel mounted controls for the stereo until I looked in the handbook and discovered how well Mitsubishi hid them behind the steering wheel spokes. Third, there are no grab handles for the front passenger. Again, cost cutting.
    On driving the car out of the rental firm’s yard, first thing I noticed was the steering. Well weighted, just light enough to be easy to maneuver the car around town, but with a decent level of feel.
    I drove through Adelaide heading for the freeway out of town. I notice that visibility out the side and particular the rear is not great, so just as well there are big side mirrors. Upon reaching the freeway, I accelerate hard from about 40 km/h up to 100 km/h. The 5-speed auto box drops down two gears, and the car surged forward with a fantastic sound from the 3.8 litre 24-valve SOHC V6 engine. The old Magna 3.5 V6s always sounded good, this sounds fantastic, even better than the Barra180 in the Falcon. Even more impressive, there is no torque steer or kick back through the steering. Impressive considering the 380 VRX is a heavy 1,670 kg front wheel drive car putting out 175 kW and a torquey 343 Nm. Mitsubishi has done their job well by virtually eliminating the big problem of powerful front drive cars – torque steer.
    The VRX is fitted with traction control, which obviously helps eliminate torque steer. However, despite several hard acceleration runs from stand still and from a rolling start, I was never able to get more than a very slight kickback from the steering, whether I had the traction control on or off. Only the most sensitive drivers would ever notice the kickback, and then only if giving it a massive bootful. Must say, I’m impressed.
    Cruising on the freeway, I was impressed by the feel of refinement, smoothness, quietness and the solidity of the body. Ride is very smooth and well controlled. Occasionally the 215/55 R17 tyres will thump on the worst bumps, but it must be remembered that the VRX gets the harder sports suspension, and the thumps will be heard but not felt. As a motorway cruiser, this car could eat up hundreds of kilometers with ease. Of course, Australia is a big country, and any Aussie built car that isn’t at home in cruise mode on the freeway will not sell well.
    Turning off the freeway, the road starts to twist and turn through a number bends with recommended speeds of 35 and 55 km/h. The VRX is great through here. The steering is well weighted and progressive. The car turns in quickly, there is no understeer and the bends are dismissed with the greatest of ease without actually trying too hard (I went through 55km/h bends at an indicated 70km/h with no drama). There is some body roll, which isn’t really surprising considering this is such a large car. I got the impression that one would have to be driving really recklessly to get into trouble. The only issue I had was that while the steering is well weighted and offers some feel, it doesn’t offer as much information as I’d like and doesn’t feel as alive as the steering in the Mazda6. The VRX goes exactly where pointed, feels good, but doesn’t excite in the way that the Mazda6 does through the twisty bits.
    I’m happy with the tiptronic gearbox though. It doesn’t change up unless the driver tells it to and the delay between selection of the gear and computer engaging the gear is significantly reduced over the old Magna. I personally prefer tiptronic boxes where I pull back to change up and push forward to change down (as in the Ford and Mazda range). The 380’s tiptronic is set up the other way round (push forward to change up, pull back to change down), but since this is the standard set up with most manufacturers I can’t really complain.
    We stopped for a while and then my colleague took over the wheel. He owns a 99 model Magna and was keen to see how the 380 compared to the older car. His first impression is similar to mine – visibility out the back is terrible. You just can’t see the corners of the car. And we’re both six-foot tall. How shorter people will get on with the poor visibility I’m not sure. His second impression is that the steering is heavier and has better feel than the Magna. Otherwise, he thinks it just a more modern, more refined, updated Magna. And herein lies the problem with the 380 – its just not enough of an advance.
    On the second day, I had the car to myself. Charging up and down a narrow, twisty gorge on the way out of Adelaide heading for the Barossa valley, I’m able to really test the handling. Traction control off, turn in hard, and there’s a touch more understeer. Not enough to be a problem. Power down out of corners is great, and I’m getting used to the steering. I still wish it was really alive, but at least its got some weight and feel to it and isn’t feather light. Into the Barossa valley, the road opened out into flowing sweepers. It’s here that the 380 is in its element. Big cars don’t like really twisty roads, no matter how well resolved the dynamics are. The Falcon BA always felt best on flowing sweepers, even though it was highly competent on tighter stuff. The 380 VRX is the same. The 380 VRX is very enjoyable on flowing sweepers, and can keep up an impressive pace.
    The best point of the VRX is how well resolved its dynamics are. To those that doubt that a big, powerful front wheel drive car can have decent dynamics, I suggest you go for a drive in this car. The 380’s combination of excellent handling, decent steering and comfortable and controlled ride easily matched that of the rear wheel drive Falcon BA. Only an extremely sensitive driver, or an extreme lead foot would ever experience any real understeer or any torque steer – and then only at speeds so insane I’d question that driver’s right to be on public roads. On the race track, it may be a different story, but than the VRX isn’t a racing car.
    Other than its dynamics, I was impressed with the VRX’s solid feeling body, excellent refinement, great sounding engine, its smoothness, the excellent five speed auto, and the comfort of the seats.
    So, at a price of A$39,980 would I consider buying on? No. The VRX is a very good car, but it is only touch better than a Falcon BA XT, and the BF XR6 is by all accounts better again and it’s the same price as a VRX. I can buy a second hand BA XT for half the price of a VRX, and the VRX is only marginally better. So the VRX just doesn’t stack up as a value for money new car prospect. It will devalue heavily on the back of heavy fleet sales and discounts to the private buyers have also already started. In two years time, a low mileage VRX will probably sell for about A$23,000.
    So, in two years time, at a price of A$23,000 would I buy one? Yes. It will represent fantastic value for money as a second hand car and that’s one of the biggest problems the 380 will have to face.
    In summary, the 380 is a very good car, that finally matches the acknowledged best in class Falcon, but it basically feels like a modern, more refined Magna. The Magna was a great car when it was introduced in 1996. The 380 has dropped to been merely a very good car. I have my doubts that it will save Mitsubishi’s manufacturing future in Australia. If the 380 offered an AWD option, a second, more powerful engine option, six airbags rather than four and managed to leap ahead of the Falcon rather than match it, it would have been a great car. As it stands, it’s merely a very good car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Mitsubishi 380 VRX
    Price: A$39,980 (five speed tiptronic auto)
    Engine: 3.838 litres, V6, SOHC, 24 valve
    Power: 175kW@5,250 rpm
    Torque: 343Nm@4,000 rpm
    Drive: Front wheel drive
    Weight: 1,670 kg.
    Suspension: Front – struts, A-arms, anti-roll bar.
    Rear – multi-links, coil springs, anti-roll bar.
    Tyres: Dunlop SP Sport 230
    Tyre size: 215/55 R17
    Performance (courtesy of Wheels magazine): 0-100km/h 8.5 secs; 0-400m 16.2 sec; 80-120km/h rolling start 5.8 secs.
    Fuel economy: 10.7 litres/100 km according to the trip computer with a mix of city/country driving and some hard acceleration.
    Safety hardware: driver/passenger and two side airbags, ABS, Electronic Brake Distribution, Traction Control, seat belt pre-tensioners, load-limiter seatbelts.

FOR: well resolved, excellent dynamics with decent handling, steering and well controlled ride; refinement, engine note, transmission, body strength, will be great value for money second hand, the colour.
    AGAINST: visibility – its appalling to the rear especially; cost cutting attempts resulting in no steering wheel reach adjustment and no grab handles; only matches the Falcon when as the newer design it should surpass it; value for money; will devalue quickly; quality of the interior plastics; the colour.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 01-16-2006 at 05:23 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    FOR: well resolved, excellent dynamics with decent handling, steering and well controlled ride; refinement, engine note, transmission, body strength, will be great value for money second hand, the colour.AGAINST: visibility – its appalling to the rear especially; cost cutting attempts resulting in no steering wheel reach adjustment and no grab handles; only matches the Falcon when as the newer design it should surpass it; value for money; will devalue quickly; quality of the interior plastics; the colour.
    Great test there!!

Damn the VRX doesnt look too bad at all...im starting to like the design...

Didnt mitsubishi hire a famous fashion designer to chose the seat trims and basic interior colours...??? The dash is OK but the seat colours are terrible!!

I think the billion dollar question is, will mitsu sell the amount of 380s it needs in order to stay in oz??

Who here would actually buy a 380 over the current falcon or commodore?

Your only starting to like it now
    It took me one look in the flesh to think hey that thing isn't bad at all.
    But really it's till a older design car, If it was out when the BA and VY first came in it would be right on the money now. Instead VE will go forward and Ford will also with there new Falcon, And the 380 will need some big work in the next 2 years.

But to your bottom Question Adrenaline...... No but i would love to hire one for a spin. But i drive all cars and i am very happy to, But i only own Commodores, Like i only use AMD CPU's, Samsung DVD and TV's VCR's, Caltex petrol, Stuff like that, When i like something and it's been good to me i like to keep using it till it's done
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

^^^
    Im the same, when somethings good to me then ill stick with it, Ill buy another nissan when im finished with this one, ill keep using caltex fuel (the dockets are a bit of an incentive.)

Our magnas been brilliant, no major complaints, only two minor ones with an ongoing squeak in the rear axle no one can fix and the door seals keep leaking. I recomend another one to my mum. I love the red and gold colours as well, something holden is desperately in need of, MORE COLOUR CHOICE!!!
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Instead VE will go forward and Ford will also with there new Falcon, And the 380 will need some big work in the next 2 years.
    Thats what I kept thinking when i first saw the 380 and its features...I guess itll be okay until later this year when the VE comes...which will destroy everything...then the falcon in 2007 (Ive heard it might be as late as 2008 ...The falcon will be at VE level...probably better...actually im gonna say that it'll blow the VE away ...but this leaves the 380 in a ditch...unless they do some major work on it as you said, but Mitsu dont have much ca$h left in the kitty to fool around with...so they might have to just hold on tight for a couple of years...assuming they actually stay here for a few more years

Fords big problem is that the Orion falcon is not coming until late 2007/early 2008....the VE will be in full swing by then..although it does give them a little more time to perfect the car...and make it better than the VE...but in the meantime its gonna be hard for them to compete against the commodore..lol the current falcon is better than the current commodore and the commodore still sells more....damn the AU!!!

Thanks for sharing your writeup MSN

Frankly I'm content to trust your impressions over many of those I read in the professional media. Again I see 'Wheels' continuing their campaign of moulding negative public-perception against Mitsubishi, in their words the "Cardigan Car Company"

Witness this recent roadtest quote on 380 from 'Wheels' who, like other media, again goes out of their way to perpetuate the poor image of Mitsubishi - wherein they pathetically choose to denegrate Mitsu merely because the test car is equipped with mudflaps!

Mitsubishi’s laughable inclusion of mudflaps on our test VRX. So much for discarding the ‘pensioner’ stigma.
    Sadly, after years of solid & innovative local product, it seems like Mitsubishi is set to fail as a manufacturer in this country. This will be especially tragic for their many good employees, and the negative impact of their closure will be felt throughout the whole AU automotive industry. In an early worrying sign, I see Mitsu dealers are already offering discounts on 380 ..

Yes, I noticed the discounts as well. A 2005 model 380 VRX is going to be absolutely astounding value for money as a used car in two years time as a result of this. At that time, I may even put down some hard earned on one since equivilent age Mazda6s, Falcon XR6s, Accord Euros, Maximas, or Commodore SV6s will either be more expensive or have done more miles.
    That Wheels article was generally complimentary towards the 380 VRX - particular towards the dynamics and refinement. But yes, that mudflaps line was a bit uncalled for.

It's really a shame that our motor reporters seem to always hang it on cars,
    They get something against one and off they run with it.
    Mitsub really isn't to blame that there new 380 is 2-3 years late, The money stopped them getting it here faster, But I'm sure that everyone that knows the gallant would rather the 380.

It really doesn't look good for them with the VE and Falcon due in the next 2 years, This car which looks update now might loose any appeal it has.
    Maybe with some careful styling changes suspension tunes and a different intiria design and heaps more power they might be able to swing some Camry buyers over? Maybe a 4cyl option could help there too.

It's really a shame that our motor reporters seem to always hang it on cars,
    They get something against one and off they run with it.
    Mitsub really isn't to blame that there new 380 is 2-3 years late, The money stopped them getting it here faster, But I'm sure that everyone that knows the gallant would rather the 380.

It really doesn't look good for them with the VE and Falcon due in the next 2 years, This car which looks update now might loose any appeal it has.
    Maybe with some careful styling changes suspension tunes and a different intiria design and heaps more power they might be able to swing some Camry buyers over? Maybe a 4cyl option could help there too.
    i really think the new camry will be popular actually... the camry that was unveiled in the US this week has some style.

I don't think the 380 needs any changes to the suspension tune - its already spot on in that area. Unless we're talking an out and out performance version with the AWD system, that is. Changes to the design, more safety equipment, engine upgrades, may help. The car is way, way too heavy for a four clyinder engine - it would need a major diet.
    Basically, the 380 is the car that Mitsubishi originally wanted to bring out at the same time as the Falcon BA, Commodore VY, Mazda6, current Toyota Camry, but couldn't through lack of money. It is of the same generation as the BA and Mazda6 - which means its a really good car, just not quite as good as we expected.
    Also, we're assuming the VE will be a couple of generations ahead of the opposition. We could be disappointed - after all that's what I hoped with the 380 and it didn't happen.

ive always wanted to turbo an AWD magna... that would be WRX killer as they keep up quite happily with them without a turbo.

there is def room to make the thing shove if they wanted to/could afford to.
    The Datto will rage again...

I think they could go out and make a performance AWD, But i think base model might need some softness to it.

But it could be easy to be disappointed with the 380 simple fact it is the 2002 car behind schedule. And with money being tight you would have to say that they didn't improve it to much on what they originally had in mind back then.

But the VE is a clean sheet, If it makes a VZ look like a VS then it's doing it's job.

But on the 380 i would love to see how they would go with just one RWD car.

Didn't we just see some pics of the new model Camry somewhere? Cause it looks just like the old one. I;ll search for some pics.
    Doesnt it still look like the old one, A AU to BA a VT to VZ.
    Last edited by SlickHolden; 01-18-2006 at 02:36 AM.

Interior is OK, exterior is ugly...

But the VE is a clean sheet, If it makes a VZ look like a VS then it's doing it's job.
    I dont think there will be such a difference...Im not trying to say that there WONT be much...just nothing that huge. Oh yea and to me the VY exec looks newer than the VZ exec...am i crazy??
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    I dont think there will be such a difference
    there's gonna be a huge difference. Its going to look a lot different, have proper IRS (Multi link) in 2 specs and be a lot bigger

Thread Information