Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The LS7 is amazing - LG Motorsports' latest results

That is some pretty impresive news from the LS7. I have heard that it is going to be a good engine. Alot was learnt from the LS1, LS2, and L76 so it is no surprise that it is putting out some impressive figures.

I hope this forum isn't another one of those "I love V8's and turbos suck" (and vice versa of course) places.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    This thread totally turned out badly. It seems every time someone mentions an impressive V8, it always has to end this way. Lame.
    I see you are now adding a flavour of newly acquired asian wisdom in your posts
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    This thread totally turned out badly. It seems every time someone mentions an impressive V8, it always has to end this way. Lame.

Can't anyone just appreciate the aspects of this engine as well as 4-cylinders? It's not a war. Reliability has little to do with it either. Reliability often has little to do with the layout or tune of the engine. Toyota Supras can honestly sometime produce 1000hp reliablly, wheras a lot of older Jags with more displacement and less power can't drive a block without breaking down.

This engine produces masses of torque, weighs very little especially for it's displacement, and is remarkably efficient for its output. It's not trying to replace 4-cylinder turbo engines, so what's the big deal? It's almost as if nobody is capable of simultaneously appreciating the LS7 and something like the FQ-400's Turbo 4.

I hate to try to argue with you, because I know I'll just end up with 12 pages of text in reply Just keep in mind what we're looking at here. Of course the LG mods are not covered by the factory warranty. Then again, the 600hp inline-4 previously mentioned would not be either. We do know that in stock form the engine is reliable and gets excellent efficiency-per-output (I am hesitant to say it has "great milage", because nothing with this much power gets "great milage"). The LG modifications (the largest gain came from headers) generally do not increase power disproportionately to the decrease of efficiency. Testing so far (again, in stock form) has shown no reason to doubt it's just as reliable as the LS1 or LS2. I'm not saying you're wrong about asking any of these questions, just that both of you have gone a little off-track. Again, let's make sure this isn't a "battle of the engines" - both types offer advantages over the other. Maybe not so much earlier, but if you read Juggs' most recent post, it's not hard to see that he's being totally reasonable.

thank you egg nog for saying what im trying to say in a better way. it seems like you can't get away with saying anything about a v8 or an american car in these forums without some nay sayers ruining everything! like you said, why can't people just have good things to say about all types of engines? and, like i said before i love all kinds of engines and i also love love LOVE turbos. but pulling big numbers from a forced induction motor just isnt that impressive to me because any motor on boost is gonna put out some nice numbers. i mean could you imagine if you threw a turbo onto this ls7 what the power/displacement ratio would be but i am willing to bet it would still be shot down around here by 4 banger fan boys who are too naive to look at the ups and downs of all types of motors.

matra: those ls7's have displacement on demand so they get around 24 mpg from the factory and im willing to bet its damn near that if not more with these mods (headers and cams can often offer an increase in gas milage). 24 mpg in a 700 horsepower v8..are you kidding me? thats amazing. how do i know its going to be reliable. because for one almost any new engine nowadays is reliable. second if theres one thing GM does right its building realiable small block v8's and more work and research has gone into this motor than any other motor before. with forged internals, 4 bolt mains, and tons of research and devolopment on this motor theres almost no way it can be unreliable. would you agree that that is a good argument matra?
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

i don't know if i agree man..you'll have to send me an Ls7..so i can conduct my own review...yeess....
    because i still need an engine for the GT40
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    24 mpg in a 700 horsepower v8..are you kidding me? thats amazing.

no, that is just the figure pottering along in 6th speed doing 60 miles. If you are going to use all those 700 horses the mpg will slightly change.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

matra: those ls7's have displacement on demand so they get around 24 mpg from the factory and im willing to bet its damn near that if not more with these mods (headers and cams can often offer an increase in gas milage). 24 mpg in a 700 horsepower v8..are you kidding me? thats amazing. how do i know its going to be reliable. because for one almost any new engine nowadays is reliable. second if theres one thing GM does right its building realiable small block v8's and more work and research has gone into this motor than any other motor before. with forged internals, 4 bolt mains, and tons of research and devolopment on this motor theres almost no way it can be unreliable. would you agree that that is a good argument matra?
    Egg-Nog and you went off at LL the wrong way because of a silly knee-jerk reaction.

The LG was being promoted and it IS excellent.
    THAT was not taken away.

BUT in defending it to others you cited mileage and reliabilty and I asked where you got that info from as it's unlikely that a 7000hp upgrade has managed to reatain all of that.

So A QUESTION WAS ASKED FOR CLARIFICATION.

From the response I see that you MEANT is that the base LS7 has all the features and dont' know if the modified one has, so really they dont' come into it as all engines can be made realiable AND modified to produce excess power and toruqe but not usually in the same instance

So you AND Egg-Nog, get off your high horses and actually engage in discussion or I'll just forget it. Frankly the stupidity that seems to stop everyone looking at a whole picture is getting to piss me off here

It seems that we're getting more posters who only want "lol" and "Wow man that's cool" in response to posts instead of any actual information, enquiry or challenge. Shame
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-10-2006 at 03:25 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Hi,first post!

The Z06 is a cool car and it has a good engine too.But if it's that easy to make 700hp from that engine,why hasn't GM done it?

Also,I read the posts here and I must say it's really shocking to see that some people here still don't know how displacement,torque,rpm and power is related.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    The Z06 is a cool car and it has a good engine too.But if it's that easy to make 700hp from that engine,why hasn't GM done it?
    That's a very good question, and I'd love to know an answer. All I can imagine is that GM are lazy, or they thought that tuning the engine further would create possible reliability and chassis problems. Then again, if a small tuning outfit can do it, surely a megabucks company can..?

Welcome, by the way

The LS7 doesnt have DOD, I dont think its even setup for it (like the LS2). Im pretty sure GM stated that the Corvette wouldnt ever have DOD. The new LS4 in the Impala SS and the LS2 thats going to be found in the Camaro are the only two LSx engines that I know of that have DOD right now.

The Z06 achieves 16/26mpg though, which is amazing for any car pushing 500hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    Hi,first post!

Also,I read the posts here and I must say it's really shocking to see that some people here still don't know how displacement,torque,rpm and power is related.
    There would be no point really. The Z06 was planned to be a 500ish hp car, 700 would be major overkill, and raise the cost of the car (not to mention insurance) too high. The point of the Z06 is that its an every day affordable supercar.
    GM intensionally makes their engines far from their full potential, they are allies with many aftermarket companies.

for your information, Auto Motor Und Sport recently tested the ZO6 (and were very positive). The mileage achieved during the test period was 14.9 mpg, with a range from 26.1 and 10.6 for the min and max values.

They also recently tested the new 500 SL Mercedes, 388 BHP from 5.4 litre, test consumption 17.0 mpg and ranging from 26 to 12.9 mpg. The car weighs 200 kg more than the Z06.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    for your information, Auto Motor Und Sport recently tested the ZO6 (and were very positive). The mileage achieved during the test period was 14.9 mpg, with a range from 26.1 and 10.6 for the min and max values.

They also recently tested the new 500 SL Mercedes, 388 BHP from 5.4 litre, test consumption 17.0 mpg and ranging from 26 to 12.9 mpg. The car weighs 200 kg more than the Z06.
    Awesome, did they test them on the same road, in the same conditions (temp, traffic etc. included) and did the exact same things with both?
    Id be surprised to have them tell me they didnt romp on the 500hp supercar more than the luxury SL.
    On top of that did they use skipshift, and change gears at propper times (not like 3000PRMs)?
    If I want to have some fun(like in the case of testing a new, powerful car) I drive completely different than If I want to save gas, take that into consideration.

This is why Id take EPA figures over magazine ones. EPA tests all the cars at the same speeds, in the same conditions to get a control in the testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    This is why Id take EPA figures over magazine ones. EPA tests all the cars at the same speeds, in the same conditions to get a control in the testing.
    Definately, SLicks, BUT the EPA ( and the Euro equivalent ) are now being "doctored" by the manufacturers selecting gearing to optimise the test cycles.
    SO when looking fro "real world" numbers I also loko at the magazine reported figures as they represent what will be encountered better than a known test.
    Even with the variation that differnet traffic levels will encounter.

The new tests are trying to remove the "cheat" factor the manufacturers have taken advantage of and now have more and more variable cycles than before. Cycles that represent real driving better so will give us a close approximation and less ability to buidl a machine to get better test results abut no better real world result.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

i give up. i hate trying to argue with people who will never admit when their wrong or don't have open minds.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

i give up. i hate trying to argue with people who will never admit when their wrong or don't have open minds.
    erm you got hte DOD wrong and you never clarifgied any questions asked.

Closed ??? here .....

see the person now ????

Thread Information