Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the importance of electronics

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    +2
    Electronics aren't a substitute for knowing how to drive well. They can help, but not fully replace skill and awareness as long as it is a person that is in control.

I don't mind the electronics mostly, as long as they can be turned off. Some cars should never have them, but those are hardly mainstream. The problem I have is that many cars with off buttons don't actually turn them off, just scale them back.
    a lot of electronics today just provide a safety net for people who can't really drive and have no interest in correcting that ignorance. i'll never forget a certain boxster driver pulling lap times identical to mine, then turned the traction control off..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Also some modern cars are difficult to get into trouble these days even with the driving aids turned off. The BMW for instance is almost impossible to powerslide unless you overdo things considerably. And the Delta is even more safe. Basically it's impossible to have fun in it.

On other hand though the Mini wants to kill you everytime it has an opportunity and oversteer is just a blip of throttle away in the big cat.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    please gently touch the throttle in the rain, you will thank me for that.
    Why would anyone seeking excitment touch the throttle gently in the rain, when the traction control is there to make sure things are kept within limits?

why wouldn't you just learn throttle control?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

the pseudo-track is deadly and unforgiving
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Also some modern cars are difficult to get into trouble these days even with the driving aids turned off. The BMW for instance is almost impossible to powerslide unless you overdo things considerably. And the Delta is even more safe. Basically it's impossible to have fun in it.

On other hand though the Mini wants to kill you everytime it has an opportunity and oversteer is just a blip of throttle away in the big cat.
    I have a BMW and all you need to do is press the DSC button and it turns all that junk off (although you have to HOLD it for a few second to further disable traction control). I needed to do this alot this winter on the surprisingly strong winter storm I experienced traveling though Virginia mid-December since stability and traction control get really confused on snowy and ice roads.

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    I have a BMW and all you need to do is press the DSC button and it turns all that junk off (although you have to HOLD it for a few second to further disable traction control). I needed to do this alot this winter on the surprisingly strong winter storm I experienced traveling though Virginia mid-December since stability and traction control get really confused on snowy and ice roads.
    I know. I need to this a lot when a having a blast over our local country roads and the electronics get all confused about having fun.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information