Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson rates "25 best cars I've driven"

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Maybe he never drove one of those.
    I remember an episode where they compared an E-Type and and Aston DB 4 (5?). I think he had very few positive things to say about either car.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I remember an episode where they compared an E-Type and and Aston DB 4 (5?). I think he had very few positive things to say about either car.
    It was E-Type v DB5, and yes he wasn't particularly positive about the original cars...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

If memory serves, he was pleased after a modernization of the cars. New suspention...
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I think the fact that this list is almost all modern cars de-legitimizes it. Where's the Porsche 356? Jaguar E-Type? Not a single Ferrari 250?
    a) The fact that the list is made by Clarkson de-legitimizes it.
    b) Those are horrible cars to drive by today's standards.

Anyway, this list doesn't pretend to be definitive and absolute truth. The article was written in 2008 and is about the best cars Jeremy has driven since 2003.

No need to be so sacred.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Those Ascari's are beautiful. A very good choice. The CX-7 was a car I really didn't expect to be on the list. Mazda's aren't that great, well personally.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

says the person with no car or license..
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    Mazda's aren't that great, well personally.
    Having driven my Mazda (Protégé) for coming on 5 years and I can say that it's... great; when compared to other cars that I have spent a great deal of time driving (the family lineage of Merc SL's and CL's) then it doesn't compare performance wise.

However, my specific model is not for showing off or hardcore driving, neither of which I require at this point in my life, so I find that it suits me well. It gets good mileage and it's not falling apart. The interior is in tact... all but a knob for the stereo which I have yet to glue back on. It's a smooth drive and fairly quiet too. If I wanted a car that was a thrill to drive I wouldn't have purchased a Mazda (RX-7/8 excluded).

It's a great car for what I need.

... go test drive one.

i know my mazda just won't bloody die; also a bridgeported FC RX-7 is a hoot.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I think the fact that this list is almost all modern cars de-legitimizes it. Where's the Porsche 356? Jaguar E-Type? Not a single Ferrari 250?
    The list is entitled "best cars I've driven". That generally excludes all classic cars due to their handling and unreliability. Note the list contains all cars that are very good handling cars.
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Yeha, let's not get to romantic about classic cars and handling.
    YES. FOR THEIR DAY there were some great handling cars.
    Compare them with the cheapest modern crap-box and they are POOR !

Fun and challenging and "with character", but having now tried to get 5 classic cars to handle in competition then they don't come near an dout of the showroom euro-box
    HONESTLY !!

ALso, as with Fifth Gear handling tests, some of the seemingly bland/cheap cars can "win" because they are CONSISTENT and viceless. Having a car that gives confidence 95% of the time is "better" than one that gives confidence 60% of the time .. even if the latter manages to corner 10mph faster Because CONSISTENTLY being able to corner at a slightly lower speed is better than the alternative where SOME times you will end up in the pooh and possibly ditch
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Having driven my Mazda (Protégé) for coming on 5 years and I can say that it's... great; when compared to other cars that I have spent a great deal of time driving (the family lineage of Merc SL's and CL's) then it doesn't compare performance wise.

However, my specific model is not for showing off or hardcore driving, neither of which I require at this point in my life, so I find that it suits me well. It gets good mileage and it's not falling apart. The interior is in tact... all but a knob for the stereo which I have yet to glue back on. It's a smooth drive and fairly quiet too. If I wanted a car that was a thrill to drive I wouldn't have purchased a Mazda (RX-7/8 excluded).

It's a great car for what I need.

... go test drive one.
    What about the handling?

In some cars you don't need to go a million to know they are great handling cars. And viceversa.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    1) Wait, you think he's on a waiting list for some Mazda? Somehow I doubt he's on the waiting list for some Mazda.

2) I find it strange no Veyron, since he claimed it was so wonderful.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

I'm wondering, which M5 is he talking about? Probably the most recent one, he seems to like that one a lot.

Frankly, that's the ugliest one of them all. And I'd much rather get the E39 one.

I think the fact that this list is almost all modern cars de-legitimizes it.
    I'm with you Nic, and I suspect this list is more about The Clarkeson Ego stroking itself (ie wankerville) at unrealistically absurd 'not for the street' speeds.

Lets not confuse fantabulously elevated levels of mechanical grip with 'handling' or with 'character' let alone motoring enjoyment. Zooming around at breakneck speed in 'competition' events is relevant to about 0.1% of motorists in 'everyday' conditions/applications, and to the enjoyment thereof.

Will the latest 'all dancing' BMW M5 deliver more entertainment/enjoyment in the kinds of driving that the vast majority of people actually do - say a trip down to the supermarket or drive to work - than a Citroen DS, or CX-25 Turbo?

Can an Ascari A10 even make it over the gutter leading from my (potholed-dirt) driveway without incurring $10k of damage to its undercarriage at every attempt?

I won't presume to speak for women except to say my wife would not be seen dead in a modern supercar, she finds them offensive and would much prefer (and therefore enjoy) something with genuine and attainable character - like a Peugeot 304 convertible, eg!

Personally I would prefer a practical car imbued with a playful nature, which can deliver the previously-enquoted (' ') fun at sane & legal velocities within the context of everyday use and on public-streets, rather that the so-called Perfect Drive (on private roads, ).

Quote Originally Posted by Roentgen
    The list is entitled "best cars I've driven". That generally excludes all classic cars due to their handling and unreliability
    Some of the classic cars I've owned have been the absolute epitome of reliability, not to mention handling fun, which is more than can be said for many new cars!

i find with a lot of classic cars that roads feel a lot wider, since they are usually smaller and more compact than their modern counterpart. handling may not be up to par for today, but it means the corner is actually not as sharp for you in the first place..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information