Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson rates "25 best cars I've driven"

Eurofighter is a completely UNSTABLE aircraft by design.
    "bland" it ain't.
    THEN they add the flicht control systems to keep it flying. Pilot gives input to perform impossible maneouvres, plane obeys under software control.
    By "bland" design I'd say a plane that was stable and "easy"

Of course, I'm assuming we're not debating this from some jingo-istic, mis-placed national "pride" ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Eurofighter is a completely UNSTABLE aircraft by design.
    "bland" it ain't.
    THEN they add the flicht control systems to keep it flying. Pilot gives input to perform impossible maneouvres, plane obeys under software control.
    By "bland" design I'd say a plane that was stable and "easy"
    No, looks-wise. I am really not a fan of the mustache-like look that the canards give and delta wings are looking incredible aged these days. Instability by design is the norm these days, there is nothing all that special about that.
    The Eurofighter has also been a process too fraught with difficulty and excessive spending to be all that successful in me mind.
    I do tend to prefer American planes, but, that doesn't prevent me from liking others. For instance; the Su-27 family of planes are probably my favorite of planes currently in service.

Of course, I'm assuming we're not debating this from some jingo-istic, mis-placed national "pride" ?
    Pfft, "misplaced." Says the man living on a tiny island in the North Atlantic to another in the best, most ****-yeahest country in the world...
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    The Eurofighter has also been a process too fraught with difficulty and excessive spending to be all that successful in me mind.
    That was because Europe can't agree on anything, not because the Eurofighter has serious technical issues. It did however mean that it was severely delayed.
    Last edited by TheScrutineer; 03-23-2010 at 01:35 AM.

oops double post
    Last edited by TheScrutineer; 03-23-2010 at 01:36 AM.

^^^ Well more that in the middle of the design phase the threat completely changed.
    So no need for an agile fighter capable of taking on massed air attacks
    Of course that the French had built the Rafale and Sweden had the Viggen did make it a moot point if another "designed unstable" was then needed ( and I meant UNstable, others can fly badly , the EUrofighter was intended as a "punch out if the computer goes down" by design )
    Britain's unique need to fly VSTOL off of cheap small carriers to have "reach" in conflicts we've no right or need to be in also cocked the whole Aerospatiale group efforts. Now with talk ot combining arms in the UK then there may be no "carriers" and no RAF !! Wouldn't want to be on the JSF team right now f
    and f6, , let's remember the RAF usually won the "competition" using ancient equipment against American state-of-the-art planes

Personally air force fighter wings are now just a nations EGO projection.
    Even close-air-support is better done using ground controlled UAVs.
    So keep the Hercules and Galaxies, give the army the heavy lift helos and the navy the assualt ship infrstructure.

At least then it ends the silly debate over which fighter is "best" .... especially as it's ALWAYS been the pilot that made the difference
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

and f6, , let's remember the RAF usually won the "competition" using ancient equipment against American state-of-the-art planes
    And sometimes had better equipment like the English Electric Lightning. That thing would still give an F15 a run for its money in straight line acceleration. Now though the F22 would blow anything out of the sky undetected, but you pay for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    umm... F-22 anybody?

Personally air force fighter wings are now just a nations EGO projection.
    Even close-air-support is better done using ground controlled UAVs.
    So keep the Hercules and Galaxies, give the army the heavy lift helos and the navy the assualt ship infrstructure.
    That exact reason is why the USAF is struggling right now. they haven't played a significant part of the fight since the initial invasion of iraq in 2003. and even then, ship launched tomahawks did almost as much, and carrier launched aircraft DID do as much. i don't think the days of manned aircraft are numbered, but i do think the size of the budget used on super high tech air superiority fighter aircraft like the Eurofighter and the Raptor will be severely limited in the coming years.

and as far as aircraft in the navy, i am not sure you give them enough credit for the many many jobs they do. they do anything from amphibious assault to mine clearance to underway replenishment of ships, and of course SAR. and while there are AAVs coming to ships, they do completely separate jobs to the manned aircraft.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    umm... F-22 anybody?

That exact reason is why the USAF is struggling right now. they haven't played a significant part of the fight since the initial invasion of iraq in 2003. and even then, ship launched tomahawks did almost as much, and carrier launched aircraft DID do as much. i don't think the days of manned aircraft are numbered, but i do think the size of the budget used on super high tech air superiority fighter aircraft like the Eurofighter and the Raptor will be severely limited in the coming years.

and as far as aircraft in the navy, i am not sure you give them enough credit for the many many jobs they do. they do anything from amphibious assault to mine clearance to underway replenishment of ships, and of course SAR. and while there are AAVs coming to ships, they do completely separate jobs to the manned aircraft.
    F-35 Lightning too, the budget for that plane suddenly jumped a good bit. And that was supposed to be a cheap plane too.

I like the recent bunch of planes- they all look very clean, with internal weapons bays and all. I also like the Superhornet.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post

I guess a squid like you will take any opportunity he gets to bash the air force.

That being said, I've heard navy pilots are superior - at least in the American case.

air force is tied down to large, obvious and vulnerable runways.

at least the navy pilots can move their houseboat around with them.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Not a single American vehicle. Not happy.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

I like that there's a nice array of luxury cars in there but most of all I'm glad to see the Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    Thats because all modern American cars suck, bar the ZR1, CTS-V and maybe a Viper.

Quote Originally Posted by TheScrutineer View Post
    Thats because all modern American cars suck, bar the ZR1, CTS-V and maybe a Viper.
    The base CTS is a good car, the Mustang, and Camaro are solid, the Taurus is alright, the Malibu is good. Start talking trucks and there's a whack more. That's just cars on sale today too - in terms of modern cars there's a few more.

The Americans are catching up.

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScrutineer View Post
    Also, Top Gear rarely if ever give any credit to any American cars - I don't think that's out of honesty either, I'd say that's bias.

Not how basically every British car they test is amazing.

Thread Information