Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of Lancia Stratos?

Return of Lancia Stratos?

One of the most legendary cars from the rich pages of automotive history is al set to be reborn, as a prototype, that closely mirrors a modern day reinterpretation of the fearsome Lancia Stratos, has been caught testing in secret at Fiat's Balocco test track.

italiaspeed.com

Attached Images Attached Images

SWEET!
    That car looks goood!
    I wonder if it will feature a Ferrari engine like the original?

A remarkable design that even after 40 years couldn't be improved upon. Hope it gets built!
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Cool, but why does that look like a screenshot from forza or some other videogame?

Quote Originally Posted by aiasib View Post
    Cool, but why does that look like a screenshot from forza or some other videogame?
    If it's a spy shot, then it's likely that the photographer hasn't had the best settings for great shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    If it's a spy shot, then it's likely that the photographer hasn't had the best settings for great shots.
    Actually, I think I know why now: These are photos of photos, which is why they appear bright in the middle and dark in the corners. The EXIF data shows that these were taken by a BlackBerry device; some guy probably used his Blackberry to sneakily snap some pictures of some spy shot hard copies that were laying around.

Now if only more people would leave spy shots laying around...

italian cars are funny
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

In my opinion it's a preposterous idea.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

A few additional info:

- Copyright for the "Stratos" name is owned by Phenomenon Ltd, no relationship to Fiat
    - that design is quite like the concept Phenomenon showcased in Geneva a few years ago (2005?)
    - Balocco is Fiat's own proving ground, rarely rented to other automakers and not for testing but only for PR events (think of the Bertone Mantide's unveiling)
    - the whole area isn't visible from the outside because of the high speed track, except for a small portion which is used for the aforementioned activities. Judging by those shots, it could be that part of the track, or even a photoshop.

Personally I'm skeptical.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Is it just me or are there no side-view mirrors?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    A few additional info:

- Copyright for the "Stratos" name is owned by Phenomenon Ltd, no relationship to Fiat
    - that design is quite like the concept Phenomenon showcased in Geneva a few years ago (2005?)
    - Balocco is Fiat's own proving ground, rarely rented to other automakers and not for testing but only for PR events (think of the Bertone Mantide's unveiling)
    - the whole area isn't visible from the outside because of the high speed track, except for a small portion which is used for the aforementioned activities. Judging by those shots, it could be that part of the track, or even a photoshop.

I've been hearing rumors about a new Stratos based around the design and engineering from the Phenomenon show car for the last few years. I thought the project was dead, but this looks pretty real to me.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    A few additional info:

If it's real, it looks a bit like a production version of the Phenomenon, with conventional doors and windscreen.

They said back then that they planned a production version based on 360 Stradale mechanicals.

Meanwhile, Ferrari is already two generations ahead...
    Visca Catalunya!

Still it would surprise me if they were allowed to use Balocco for test purposes.

Maybe, just maybe, Phenomenon and Fiat have teamed up to make a new Lancia Stratos?

I still think it's a stupid idea, in any case.
    Visca Catalunya!

Just found it's "Fenomenon".
    Anyway, their website isn't updated since 2006.

If it really is a privately funded one-off project, it could be real, but those are definitely not spy shots (unless someone made spy shots of some pictures he stumbled upon).

Thread Information