Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Ruf isn't a Porsche...

Why Ruf isn't a Porsche...

My dumbass friend will just not listen. I have explained countless times why a Ruf is not a modified Porsche nor tuner, but that it is an independent company.

So now I'm asking you all, the car know-it-alls , to explain it to him as he's told me if I can get at least 1 or 2 people to agree with me and explain in the same way why Ruf is not a modified Porsche, nor tuner, that he would finally agree.

I know it seems like a stupid subject, but he won't go to the Ruf dealer outside of Dallas (as naturally, they would "agree"), and everyone else either agrees with him or have never heard of them.

So Jason, if you see this, read below to find out why I'm not the only person who knows that Ruf isn't a modified Porsche company.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

I don't think they build their cars from scratch, infact I'd say that they DO modify Porsches...

I remember the boss of Ruf saying "We use the best cars, and the best cars are Porsches" or something to that effect.

It isnt a tuner/modifier for Porsche because...

It has nothing to do with Porsche
    They do not take Porsches and tune/modify them.
    They are an independant company.

There, maybe your "dumbass" friend will face the fact he is wrong.

But they use Porsche designs and modify them for better performance.

They build everything pretty much from scratch excluding the unmarked Porsche chassis.

But why can they not be a manufacturer when Callaway builds the C12 on a Corvette chassis? Or Dauer? Is there some unwritten auto law that states you have to build your own body to be manufacturer excluding the fact you build pretty much everything else yourself?

That's what I always tell him, but he always says Dauer and Callaway are different.
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    They build everything pretty much from scratch excluding the unmarked Porsche chassis.

But why can they not be a manufacturer when Callaway builds the C12 on a Corvette chassis? Or Dauer? Is there some unwritten auto law that states you have to build your own body to be manufacturer excluding the fact you build pretty much everything else yourself?

That's what I always tell him, but he always says Dauer and Callaway are different.
    Sounds like your "friend" needs a good kicking.

What the hell are you guys talking about?

They are a fully independent company, but of course they modifiy Porsches... how could you possibly say they don't? Just because it gets legally registered as an RUF doesn't mean that it's "Not a modified Porsche".

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    lol maybe he does but idk i still think to most people it's all about the body, you don't see a chassis you see a car so i understand where he's coming from
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

To my knowledge, RUF converts stock porsches, and is a Tuner turned car manufacturer, or at least they plan on producing their own car. But as far as i know, they convert Porsches,engine,suspension,platform, interior, exterior, so in other words, RUF is an entirely new car wrapped in a Porsche body. .

You buy a Porsches, take it to them, they take care of it, and BAMN, you get a RUF, a whole new toy.

dont quote me on this.

Ex: A Shelby Cobra is known as a Shelby, not an AC car Cobra. Before Carrol modified the little british car,it used to be just another brit,but it started getting noticed afterwards because of its racing and such. but anyways. All im saying is RUF/Shelby-Porsche/AC
    Last edited by sleekeywoowoo; 10-21-2005 at 04:08 PM.
    "'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'

The Ruf dealer workers told me customer Porsches are the ones are tuned, but the ones for sale new are mostly Ruf built parts.
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

all wrong

ruf is an independant company, yes, but it is a certified MANUFACTURER, therfore you have a Ruf, not a Ruf Porsche, and it is no longer a porsche once it has been modified by Ruf
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Ruf build new cars, or they tune cars Porsche owners bring to them.

Same with Brabus, and a lot of the other German tuners - it is a quirk of sorts.

It doesn't matter whether you consider them just tuners; German law sees them as an independant car manufacturer. They are the only ones whose opinion in the matter is important.
    Thanks for all the fish

MP is right.

The German TUV (German Transport Department) has catalogued them as a independent manufacturer. That would imply much more than tuning and modifying as it's one of the toughest TD in the world.

Found elsewhere:

"But as far as the German authorities, the U.S. Department of Transportation and the EPA are concerned, he is a manufacturer, empowered to assign vehicle identification numbers to his creations. Ruf VINs begin with the identifier W09, not Porsche's WP0"

In a nut shell, they are allowed to place VINs in cars, so they are manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    all wrong

ruf is an independant company, yes, but it is a certified MANUFACTURER, therfore you have a Ruf, not a Ruf Porsche, and it is no longer a porsche once it has been modified by Ruf
    Exactly, but it is still a modified Porsche, just not registered as one. Nobody can get away with saying that an official RUF car is not a modified Porsche, because it was a Porsche, and then it was modified. That's the definition of "modified Porsche"

I'm not disagreeing with you, it's mostly for everyone else.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Ok let's stop arguing, I think this pic of the RUF RGT explains it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Thread Information