Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Twin Turbos

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post

By the way, the 350z and G-35 coupe which are basically the same cars under the hood, use two slightly different piping systems for thier intake systems. The 350 z piping is more efficient and produces slightly more power, than the G-35 coupe air piping. So, i removed every bit of the baffles and the air intake system of my G-35 Coupe and replaced it with a 350Z after market intake piping system. Its a little louder but it makes the power i need these days.
    both are non-turbo engines IIRC.
    How many turbo engines have you actually driven? They are common good in Europe, but as the americans are consistently boycotting modern diesel engines, a turbo remains limited to a relatively small number of petrol cars.
    Last edited by henk4; 09-28-2009 at 11:15 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Alright our 118d has a single turbo engine and has quite a lot of lag. Basically below 2000rpm there's almost no engine.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

By the way, the 350z and G-35 coupe which are basically the same cars under the hood, use two slightly different piping systems for thier intake systems. The 350 z piping is more efficient and produces slightly more power, than the G-35 coupe air piping. So, i removed every bit of the baffles and the air intake system of my G-35 Coupe and replaced it with a 350Z after market intake piping system. Its a little louder but it makes the power i need these days.
    because the G35 was built as more of a luxury car, they gave it a quieter and more restrictive intake. but that is not at all relevant to the thread. and we are all still waiting for pics of this magical car.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Henk4:

Thanks a million. I always appreciate your expertise and vast wealth of experience. How are you doing today?

Henk4:

Thanks a million. I always appreciate your expertise and vast wealth of experience. How are you doing today?
    There are obviously some deficiencies in your sarcasm department.
    And judging from Pokey's post, also in your photographic capabilities....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

In air flow design, what you want is the ability for the air to get to the combustion chamber as fast as possible without restrictions and as turbulent as possible by the time the air reaches the combustion chamber. A bi-turbo should ordinarily achieve this better than a single turbo system, thus its advantage. As the air flows away from the turbine through the intercooler and towards the combustion chamber, it changes behavior from turbulence to laminar flow, which reduces the air flows velocity and the power it will produce, especially at low RPMs for regular turbos. Also, the heat it will absorb does reduce the power the air will create as well.

What you want is to have turbulence or a vortex even at the point the air has reached the combustion chamber. Mostly for this reason does a bi-turbo or a VVT makes sense because they are able to create the vortex or turbulence up to that point because of increased air flow up to the combustion chamber. However, I suspect a VVT system will do this much much better than a bi-turbo, and do so efficiently.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post

??????????????????????????????

Ever heard of EGR?????????????????????? Seems like your funny diagram is some sort of gigantic EGR. I want that in my car. Helps to improve gas mileage. Well done!
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 09-29-2009 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    There are obviously some deficiencies in your sarcasm department.
    And judging from Pokey's post, also in your photographic capabilities....

How so????

I was just trying to be nice.

??????????????????????????????

Ever heard of EGR?????????????????????? Seems like your funny diagram is some sort of gigantic EGR. I want that in my car. Helps to improve gas mileage. Well done!
    ROTFL! Gigantic EGR! That's the mother of all EGRs, it's DEI!

Don't take it the wrong way, just loved your inocence at the internet.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

wow....
    comparing similar years, 03-06 G35 Coupe and Sedans and 350Z's pre dual intake z's, they have the same exact intake. The only difference is that the g's come witha sound baffle on top and it drops down into the engine bay. The 350z has a straight pipe. That difference is just for sound. most cars have a sound baffle to restrict intake sounds. you do not feel any power gain from doing this. Both G35 and 350z have the same air filter, same intake. the only difference is the "z-tube" from the MAF to the throttle body.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

z-tube seems to make a difference in how the air flows as far as throttle response. Maybe I am just feeling butt dyno. Just maybe.....

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Just to get things right, the turbine does the opposite thing than a turbocharger, that's to say it expands the fluid rather than compressing it, and it's the thing connected to the exhausts.
    A turbocharger has both a compressor and turbine impeller and the two are connected with a shaft. It is the same principles that apply to power plant design just on a smaller scale. The turbine extracts energy from exhaust gases and uses that energy to drive a compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    It isn't possible to use more than a stadium (which somehow like using more than a turbine) due to the after all low temperatures and pressure levels in the exhausts of an ICE.
    Reading stadium as "stage", then I wouldn't say it is impossible. It may not be pratical, but I am sure it is possible. Given the need anything is possible.

For example, look at this old work done by NASA to run a Rotax 912 1.2 liter 4-cylinder general aviation engine at 90,000ft.

Turbo power reaches new heights - 1996-09-08 20:00:00 EDT | Design News

At 90,000 ft, ambient air enters the low-pressure turbocharger at -65F and 0.5 inches of Hg absolute pressure. Assuming average compression ratio of 4 per stage, outlet pressure to the coolers from the low, intermediate, and high pressure turbochargers amounts to about 2, 8, and 32 inches of Hg. Allowing two inches Hg for cooler losses, this supplies air to the intake manifold at 30 inches of Hg.
    You basically have a three stage turbine. Since they are only trying to maintain 1 bar of pressure in the intake manifold at altitude it doesn’t sound so impressive. That is until you see what it looks like in the lab.

A white paper can be found here: http://gltrs.grc.nasa.gov/reports/19...998-206636.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    ROTFL! Gigantic EGR! That's the mother of all EGRs, it's DEI!

Don't take it the wrong way, just loved your inocence at the internet.

Anyways, I love the pics of DEI. It could work so long as there was a way to deal with any accumulated exhausted in that system or a phase change in the nature of gases produced. I am really naive about this one. What do you think?

Anyways, I love the pics of DEI. It could work so long as there was a way to deal with any accumulated exhausted in that system or a phase change in the nature of gases produced. I am really naive about this one. What do you think?
    You just went a bit outside the point there, but, that's ok, the DEI invention was thought up by some idiot probably while watching fast and furious, the second it was posted on a forum it became an instant internet classic.

The 'it' could work doens't exist, it doens't work, it will never work, if you change anything with it, it no longer is was it is.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Thread Information