Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RWD diesel powered cars

If the BMW 120d came to the U.S. I would've already bought one.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    There is an Opel Speedster with a diesel.
    Its based on a VX220 chassis, but it was a one off for the world's fastest diesel record attempt or something else as pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    It is on the ads on http://cars.msn.co.uk/
    You mean the Vauxhall Eco-Speedster, a one-off concept / technology platform / publicity stunt from GM, that is not actually available to buy?

1.3 CDTi, 113mpg and 155mph but not actually a VX220.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    You mean the Vauxhall Eco-Speedster, a one-off concept / technology platform / publicity stunt from GM, that is not actually available to buy?

1.3 CDTi, 113mpg and 155mph but not actually a VX220.
    GM is really stupid

I just remembered that the Jaguar S and upcoming XJ diesels are rwd.
    Thanks for all the fish

Daihatsu Hijet.

Mid-mounted 3-cylinder Lombardini, Rear Wheel Drive.

The 'Lombardini' is the engine used for generators in various construction work.

And drive a Hijet, they're a right laugh.
    On a Good day, Chris Bangle designs the Fiat Coupe.
    On a Bad day, he designs a BMW.

R.I.P Richard Burns.

I just remembered that the Jaguar S and upcoming XJ diesels are rwd.
    That's very interesting.

I really don't think its bad at all. A Jag with good MPG AND RWD. I'll buy that. I hate FWD.
    Maybe BMW will bring a diesel to the states.

EDIT I did some searching and it appears that the S type is FWD and so is an X type. I don't know about the XJ. This is not good.

Here is a list of all the diesel cars available in the US. They all suck except the Benz and even that is unreliable, so I read. Isn't the CDi made by Chrysler? They ****ed up Benz. Everything Chrysler touches breaks.
    http://www.biodieselamerica.org/bios...=131,0,0,1,0,0

There is also a V6 C Class Benz coming out soon and a S Class S320.
    Last edited by QBridge; 11-05-2005 at 04:01 PM.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    That's very interesting.

I really don't think its bad at all. A Jag with good MPG AND RWD. I'll buy that. I hate FWD.
    Maybe BMW will bring a diesel to the states.

EDIT I did some searching and it appears that the S type is FWD and so is an X type. I don't know about the XJ.
    dont count on the diesel BMW or Jag engines making it to the states.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

EDIT I did some searching and it appears that the S type is FWD and so is an X type. I don't know about the XJ. This is not good.
    Your searching sucks.

The S-Type and XJ are 100% rear-wheel-drive.

The X-Type is the only Jaguar available with front or all-wheel-drive, everything else is strictly rwd.

Isn't the CDi made by Chrysler?
    The CDi engines are all built by Mercedes.
    Thanks for all the fish

Does the usa get the same high quality diesel fuel as europe. Australia gets the low quality diesel. We are getting the better quality diesel next year, so hopefully the diesel european and australian cars will start to appear in the marketplace. Australia would be the perfect place for a large rwd diesel vehichle. A Ford Falcon with the jag diesel would be a winner here.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

You are right. The X type is the only one that offers FWD. Some sites that review the cars don't even mention what drive the cars are, even some respectful sites on other car models. Seems these days the drive type has no importance to a lot of people.

I did not find a site so far that said the S and XJ are RWD and I looked at least at 4 different sites. I know the gasoline models are RWD but I don't know about the diesels.

The engine might be built by Benz but what about the other parts? All I've read about the E Class is electrical problems over and over and low quality builds ever since Chrysler molested Benz. And what can go wrong with the engine itself? It's the other parts of the car that affect reliability and not as much the engine itself. That's what I believe.
    What kind of European car maker dares touch or even talk to an American car maker about anything. That's suicide.

Can someone please tell me why Jaguar is listed on www.ford.com I've been asking myself that for a year now.
    Volvo on there also including Mazda, Aston Martin, Land Rover which I'm not suprized because the Range Rover is a piece of shit when it comes to reliability. So much for a 90k car.
    Last edited by QBridge; 11-05-2005 at 05:41 PM.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -

Q, all I can advise is you shoudl read some car mags.
    There are SOO many factual errors it coudl be embarrassing listing them
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I know the gasoline models are RWD but I don't know about the diesels.
    Why would they be different though?

All I've read about the E Class is electrical problems over and over and low quality builds ever since Chrysler molested Benz.
    Mercedes' problem is with the reliability of its electronic engineering. Something that isn't to do with Chrysler.

Seeing as how most of the US cars are being based on old MB tech (300C = old E Class, Crossfire = old SLK) I doubt that Mercedes are sticking lots of Chrysler bits in their cars.

And what can go wrong with the engine itself?
    Gee, what could possibly go wrong with a hundred odd bits of metal flying about at very high speed, controlling several thousand small explosions every minute?

Can someone please tell me why Jaguar is listed on www.ford.com I've been asking myself that for a year now.
    Volvo on there also including Mazda, Aston Martin, Land Rover which I'm not suprized because the Range Rover is a piece of shit when it comes to reliability. So much for a 90k car.
    The Range Rover was developed by Land Rover/BMW...

However, Ford bought several companies to expand their range to all sectors of the market.
    Ford USA, Europe and Australia build cars/ SUVs for "the masses".
    Mazda would be Ford's mass production brand for Japan (I don't think they buy a lot of Fords, do they?), as well as providing slightly cheaper / alternative models to Ford in the ROW (Rest Of World)
    Lincoln and Mercury service North America for models that fit in between Ford and the PAG brands.

The Premiere Auto Group or PAG, run from the UK, consists of:
    Volvo - executive saloons, supposedly a BMW/ Merc/ Audi rival, but not quite.
    Jaguar - a bit more up market than Volvo, and more "sporty".
    Aston Martin - Super GTs
    Land Rover - "premium" SUVs

I don't know about Volvo so much, but Jag Aston and Land Rover are all pretty much independant as is useful; i.e. they benefit from sharing technologies developed using Ford's money, but they largely "do their own thing" when it comes to developing models.

Ford's ownership of these brands is not detrimental.
    If they had not bought Jaguar, they probably would have gone bust.
    If they had not bought Aston, and allowed the DB7 to nick a load of Jag bits then Aston definately would have gone bust (they were making a handfull of cars per year before Ford took over).
    Land Rover were BMW's plaything, but as with MG Rover, they just stole all of the interesting information and dumped the companies when they weren't making enough money.

Where do you think all the know-how to build the X5 came from?
    Thanks for all the fish

Why would they be different though?
    Because they have the X type that is FWD and a diesel and I was thinking they would make the rest of them diesels and FWD. These car manufactures all love to screw up a good thing. Don't look at me. The sites that reviwed the other cars didn't say shit about the drive they had - at least the ones I went to.
    Gee, what could possibly go wrong with a hundred odd bits of metal flying about at very high speed, controlling several thousand small explosions every minute?
    For one I drive a Hyundai that wasn't maintained and had no engine problems but I had a transmission that went dead and probably other parts that should go dead soon before the engine itself does. Isn't the engine itself the part of a car that dies last? That's what I read. It can take a lot of mileage but other parts that help the engine run don't and if a critical part that helps the engine run dies it could possibly kill the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Q, all I can advise is you shoudl read some car mags.
    There are SOO many factual errors it coudl be embarrassing listing them
    You are more than welcome to point them out. I'll be more than happy to argue with you about them.

There's some good news. It appears that the VW EcoRacer is RWD. http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000370064141/
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -

Quick and dirty way of finding RWD cars. Actually, it's a pretty complete looking listing except for exotics.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear_wheel_drive
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 11-05-2005 at 07:57 PM.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information