Thread: Dodge Challenger Super Stock Concept

Dodge Challenger Super Stock Concept

Mopar® Celebrates 50 Years of HEMI® Heaven with Relaunch of Legendary 392

* The History of the 392 HEMI®
    * Dodge Challenger Super Stock Concept with 392 HEMI by Mopar
    * Beware the Foose HEMISFEAR™
    * 392 Technical Specifications

Las Vegas, Oct 31, 2006 -

Next year marks the 50th anniversary of an engine that revolutionized not only drag racing, but the entire automotive industry as well: The legendary 392 HEMI®. Mention the word “HEMI” to an automotive enthusiast and little else needs to be said. Or, perhaps a lot more needs to be said depending on your perspective.

“The 392 HEMI is a legend so rich in automotive tradition that hundreds, if not thousands, of books and accounts have been written about its historical significance,” said Chris Cortez, senior vice president – Global Service & Parts, Chrysler Group.”

The History of the 392 HEMI

The original 392 HEMI engine was introduced in the new 1957 model year Chryslers and Imperials. It replaced the 354 cubic-inch version of the original HEMI launched in 1951.

Compared with the 354, the 392 was completely revised and improved, with larger valves and ports, a beefier block and crankshaft, and improved bearings. In short, the 392 HEMI, often referred to simply as the “92,” was perfect for drag racing.

More than a few racers bolted on six or eight carburetors, slipped in a hotter cam, tipped some nitro into the tank and went racing. Racing legend Don Garlits ran a 392 in his Swamp Rat I at record speeds of over 180 mph on nitro with no supercharger. Garlits also used a 392 HEMI to officially break the 200-mph barrier when his Swamp Rat went 201.34 mph at Atco, N.J. in 1964.

Dodge Challenger Super Stock Concept with 392 HEMI by Mopar

To further commemorate the legacy of the 392, Chrysler Group and Mopar are unveiling a SEMA first: a concept vehicle tricked out just for SEMA. From Detroit’s 2006 North American International Auto Show and a year before its production debut, the stunning Dodge Challenger Super Stock with 392 HEMI by Mopar.

“There was really only one vehicle choice to showcase our new crate motor — the bold, powerful and capable, Dodge Challenger,” said Cortez.

One of the most iconic muscle cars of the 1970s, it debuted in the fall of 1969 as a 1970 model. Although it was only produced from 1970 to 1974 (188,600 sold), the Dodge Challenger earned a reputation as one of the most desirable of the original “pony cars,” with meticulously restored and rare examples today selling for six-figure prices.

The Challenger went racing in its first year and HEMI-powered Challengers tore up the drag strips across the country in the SCCA Trans-am series and NHRA Pro Stock classes. In 1971, a Dodge Challenger paced the Indianapolis 500.

“The HEMI legacy lives on,” said Cortez. “But this Dodge Challenger Super Stock concept will no doubt bring that legacy to a whole new generation.”

The all-new Dodge Challenger will debut as a 2008 model in calendar-year 2008.

Beware the Foose HEMISFEAR™

Also at SEMA this year, Mopar is taking the wraps off the Foose HEMISFEAR™, powered by — what else — a 392 HEMI. Foose — visionary customizer, television personality, and hot rod shop owner — purchased 50 392 HEMI crate motors to install in his new kit car project.

“HEMISFEAR is an appropriate name, because it’s destined to put fear in the ears of racers,” said Cortez. “When Chip saw that Mopar’s new 525-horsepower 392 HEMI featured programmable fuel injection and coil-on-plug technology, he knew he found the power to breathe life into his design and bring classic HEMI engineering to a new generation.”

The Foose HEMISFEAR is a rear-engine vehicle that will be hand-built and sold as unfinished Hot Rod kits by Gaffoflio Family Metalcrafters, a longtime Chrysler Group design partner and Mopar supplier.

392 Technical Specifications

To help celebrate the 50th anniversary of the legendary engine, Mopar is launching an all-new 392 HEMI crate motor for a new generation of performance enthusiasts. This engine — built with all new components — is a complete engine assembly from the throttle body to the oil pan, and cranks out 525 horsepower in it most potent form.

Three different versions of the new 392 are available from Mopar:

* P5153604 392 HEMI Crate Engine – Carbureted, 540 horsepower and 490 lb.-ft of torque
    * P5253605 392 HEMI Crate Engine – SEFI, 525 horsepower and 510 lb.-ft. of torque
    * P5153603 392 HEMI Long Block HEMI Crate Engine

Technical specifications include:

* Deep-skirted cast iron block with cross-bolted mains
    * CNC-ported aluminum twin-plug cylinder heads
    * Stainless steel 2.100" intake and 1.600" exhaust valves
    * Ovate wire (beehive competition) valve springs
    * Viton competition valve stem seals
    * 279°/285° hydraulic roller camshaft with 0.584" intake and 0.552" exhaust lift
    * Forged pistons (4.055" bore)
    * 10.5:1 compression ratio
    * Aluminum single plane high rise intake manifold with holley 870 cfm 4-bbl carburetor for carbureted 392 applications (1)
    * 4140 forged steel crankshaft — 3.795" stroke
    * 4130 forged- steel I-beam performance connecting rods — 6.200" length
    * SFI-approved competition crankshaft damper
    * “Plug-and-Play” wiring harnesses (2)
    * 80 mm manual throttle body on fuel-injected engines (3)
    * Premium tri-metal performance engine bearings
    * Precision balanced rotating assembly
    * Distributorless coil-on-plug (COP) ignition system

About DaimlerChrysler’s Mopar® Brand

When Chrysler bought Dodge in 1928, the need for a dedicated parts supplier led to the formation of the Chrysler Motor Parts Division. In 1937, Mopar® (a simple contraction of the words MOtor and PARts) was created for the business of distributing parts through a depot system and car divisional wholesalers.

Mopar made its mark in the 1960s — the muscle car era. Beginning in 1962, Mopar carried a line of “Special Parts” for super stock drag racers and developed its racing parts division called Mopar Performance Parts to enhance speed and handling for both road and racing use.

Today, Chrysler Group’s Global Service & Parts division is responsible for the manufacturing and distribution of nearly 250,000 authentic Mopar replacement parts, components and accessories for Chrysler, Jeep® and Dodge vehicles sold around the world. To assure quality, reliability and durability, all Mopar parts and accessories are designed in strict adherence to DaimlerChrysler engineering standards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No rear pictures?
    Would love to see the rest!
    ALFA ROMEO-Poetry In Motion

Oil prices are going down obviously...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    It looks like a cartoon car.

Ford did a nod to retro styling, but used the best parts in a skillfully aesthetic way to make something that is modern and good looking.

Now Dodge and Chevrolette are just going "Huh?! People like retro cars! Make them all retro!" Without any real aesthetic thought.

It's like the White Stripes of the auto industry.

So when is the Challenger coming out again?
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Oil prices are going down obviously...
    Careful now, it's got an American flag on it...

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft
    Ford did a nod to retro styling, but used the best parts in a skillfully aesthetic way to make something that is modern and good looking.
    No they didn't.

The Mustang and GT certainly couldn't be referred to as a "nod".

"Poorly executed pastiche rehash" maybe.
    Thanks for all the fish

I guess I'll be seeing that at an IHRA race on TV some time real soon.
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

In 1971, a Dodge Challenger paced the Indianapolis 500.
    .. and then crashed in pit lane, injuring 20

Try the 3rd pic from the top
    http://home.att.net/~g.m.miller/paceframe.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks

No they didn't.

The Mustang and GT certainly couldn't be referred to as a "nod".

"Poorly executed pastiche rehash" maybe.
    Empiricaly speaking, most people like it. More than don't at any rate, so whether you like it or not, I think I have a majority on my side They took the parts that made an old car look good. I think Dodge is trying to take the parts that made the car look old.

And it still looks like a cartoon.
    Last edited by digitalcraft; 11-02-2006 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    .. and then crashed in pit lane, injuring 20
    at a moment when handling was required?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    at a moment when handling was required?
    IIRC the braking issues launched it sideways.. which led to the handling issues .. which in turn resulted in the crash issues

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft
    Empiricaly speaking, most people like it.
    If you are talking about something like the GT or Mustang, then of course it is going to "look good" - it is merely a direct copy of the GT40/1964 Mustang - both good looking cars.

That doesn't stop it from being a poorly executed pastiche rehash though.

As a design it is lazy, crude, and devoid of any real value.

Why not try doing something new, and that hasn't been covered 40 years ago, by someone who, not only produced a unique, ground breaking and iconic design, but also managed to produce a design that still looks better than your modern "interpretation"?
    Thanks for all the fish

Hmm. doesnt' look the same to me. It takes cues, but definately not the same car. Maybe you need to clean your glasses.

And considering that every EU and most american and JP cars look basically the same, Ford doing a retro styling was definately doing something 'new'. Now all the american companies are copying.

Thread Information