Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: The best car EVER

The 911 is clearly a superior car. But a precursor, the 356 Super 90 SC is for me the hands-down best all-round "GT" car of its time. It had leather upholstery and all the comforts of home in the cockpit. But the light-weight features included plastic windows with pull-up straps plus aluminum doors, hood and rear deck-lid. The motor was 1585 cc, redlined at about 6500 rpm, with a 4-speed gearbox and disks on all 4 corners.

My own experience with one was co-driving David McClain's #7 car in the 1965 Daytona 2000 Kilometer race, where we finished 11th OA and 1st in Class, 5 laps behind the Cobra of Graham Shaw and Dick Thompson.

Through practice and the race, the car literally ran like a clock, handled like a dream, stopped on a dime, used a couple of quarts of oil and 2 sets of pads, and had never a hiccup. We managed to beat a whole garage-full of heady rolling stock, while tooling along in total comfort...well, pretty good conditions anyhow.

I've raced a Ferrari 250 GTO for 3 years, and owned rear-engined and front-engined road Porsches, but I'd take that cozy, responsive little 90 SC any day!
    Larry

Welcome, Larry, impressive story

a 356 SC is currently being raced in Europe in the Sixties Endurance Series. Owned by Bill Stephens and shared by him and his son Will it is strong participant in this two hour race. The car is of interest because when Bill got it he found out that it was the last factory RHD SC produced.

Porsche 356 SC - Chassis: 131928 - Driver: Bill Stephens / Will Stephens - 2018 Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Thorny premise for this thread. 911 holds the lead, even if I'm rather dispassionate about them.

It depends too much on your needs. Our minivan is a beast at making our lives easy. Want fuel economy? Check out a Chevy Volt.

For my own equation, a practical vehicle with sporty aspirations, a Chevy SS is the way to go. I'm not crazy about sedans, but when you have a great all-arounder like this, I can overlook that.

911 is in the running, VW GTI, too. Looking away from VAG, the Honda Accord is a sedate version of what it means to be a great car, and the E46 M3 is maybe the best GT /sports car ever. Go upmarket, and Lexus' LS series is both reliable and coddling. Fun on a budget? Miata is king, go 90s Civic if you need to carry stuff.

Pick yer poison.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I must say, I'm surprised at the number of 911 entries, and while I agree that Porche's engineering is legendary, the 911's styling just doesn't inspire passion for me (both inside and out). I guess I would have a problem picking just one car that represents the best of everything, but if I'm pressed to pick something I'd want to have, it would probably be a series 1 Jaguar XKE 'vert.

Nope.....1960 Ferrari SWB 250GT

....or Lotus Elite

I agree

Thread Information