Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 BMW 328 Hommage Concept

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I'm going to be contrary and mention two words to you: Cyber Punk.

This is the vehicular embodiment of that aesthetic. And it's gorgeous.

The Z8 was overly literal to me, too coke bottle. Gorgeous, but elitist without being elegant.
    I'll second that. It's retrofuturistic (if that's a word).
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

I'm not much into punk.

Maybe that's the problem.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I'm not much into punk.

Maybe that's the problem.
    Probably.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I'm still not sure how I feel about this. The more I look at it the more I find that It really doesn't turn me off, but I can't say I really like it either. I think it's mostly the gaping front end and buck-toothed grill that niggle at me but in saying that that's only a problem dead front on. The front quarter view is kinda nice really.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    The Z8 was a better homage. Discuss.

Edit: I don't think it is, but maybe someone can make a case for it.
    Yes!

I love the Z8. Its design is timeless, much like the car its built after. They are a very rare car. Its holding its value extremely well compared to the competitors of its time (996 Turbo, 360 Modena etc). I can't remember how many were built, but given that I see less of them than the fezzas and high end Porsches its probably a small number.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    The Z8 was a better homage. Discuss.

Edit: I don't think it is, but maybe someone can make a case for it.
    It didn't mimic the 507 yet embodied the theme brilliantly. BMW should have kept Henrik Fisker and sacked flame-surface Bangle boy.
    The entire product line would have benefitted.

The Z8 was overly literal to me, too coke bottle. Gorgeous, but elitist without being elegant.
    Embodying that aesthetic, understood... but please explain how this is gorgeous even if you have to use cyberpunk language. I grok.
    A similar design explanation of how the Z8 is overly literal, gorgeous, too coke bottle and elitist but inelegant would be appreciated.
    There are several contradictory declarations in that sentence.

Aside from two design cues (stretched grille and side vents) there's thankfully no obvious retro in the Z8. Proportionally it was similar,
    but expected given it's mechanical layout. A modern classic that due to design and limited production of 2400 +/- (IIRC), as Rob notes
    has retained value unlike any of it's competitors. Or any other BMW from that period.

there were 5703 Z8s, half of those went to the USA. And the Panini 507 sold for 700,000 Euro at RM last weekend (that is a sound million US$)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

the aborted Villa d'Este parade showed one of the shortcomings of the Hommage. Underneath the umbrella sits Van Hooydonck....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Embodying that aesthetic, understood... but please explain how this is gorgeous even if you have to use cyberpunk language. I grok.
    A similar design explanation of how the Z8 is overly literal, gorgeous, too coke bottle and elitist but inelegant would be appreciated.
    There are several contradictory declarations in that sentence.

Aside from two design cues (stretched grille and side vents) there's thankfully no obvious retro in the Z8. Proportionally it was similar,
    but expected given it's mechanical layout. A modern classic that due to design and limited production of 2400 +/- (IIRC), as Rob notes
    has retained value unlike any of it's competitors. Or any other BMW from that period.
    Plus the drivetrain from the greatest sports saloon ever made.
    Visca Catalunya!

Plus the drivetrain from the greatest sports saloon ever made.
    That hurt.
    I know that the V8 M5 was great, but I still prefer the E34 (like many other).

Another sacrilegue... I don't really like the Z8. The rear is nicely done, but the front looks a bit weird to me. I don't like how Fisker proportioned it (in my opinion, the grille and the headlights are too high up in the front fascia- I know that this draws inspiration from the gorgeous 507, but it just doesn't do for me).

This car, though, does work for me. I'm not a fan of retro styling, but this is quite cool.
    I mean, do you want BMW to build cars like this or cars like the 5er GT?
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    That hurt.
    I know that the V8 M5 was great, but I still prefer the E34 (like many other).
    I like the E34, and the E28. But the E39 is the zenith of this concept of sports saloon. Even though I prefer the straight six to the V8, the E39 embodies the ultimate refinement of the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde formula. It is the last of a line.

From there cars become too complicated and technological to ever be the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    This car, though, does work for me. I'm not a fan of retro styling, but this is quite cool.
    I mean, do you want BMW to build cars like this or cars like the 5er GT?
    I want BMW to go back to the elegance and purposefulness of the E24, E30 or E34.
    Visca Catalunya!

I like the E34, and the E28. But the E39 is the zenith of this concept of sports saloon. Even though I prefer the straight six to the V8, the E39 embodies the ultimate refinement of the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde formula. It is the last of a line.

From there cars become too complicated and technological to ever be the same.

I want BMW to go back to the elegance and purposefulness of the E24, E30 or E34.
    Elegance stopped after the E3, the E9 and the 02 models.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Elegance stopped after the E3, the E9 and the 02 models.
    There's still the purposeful part, which I give full marks for the E36 and E39. The E24 6er and E23, 32, and 38 7er succeeded to a degree, but yes, BMW hasn't done elegance very well since the E3, E9, E10 with the exception of the E52.

I can agree that elegance was slowly lost from the originals that laid the foundation of modern BMWs, but up until the roundness of the E39 and E46 I still find elegance in the simplicity and no nonsense style of 80's and early 90's BMWs.
    Visca Catalunya!

Surprisingly the 2000CS at Villa d'Este won its class. I can remember that when the car appeared on the scene, the front part was not to everybody's liking. but the roof line set a tone. (that was actually taken from the 3200CS)

Thread Information