Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Focus RS (Mk III) 2015-

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Last week I had an opportunity to drive latest STI.

Let's just say it left me completely cold. It is one of those cars that needs to be driven really fast to be enjoyed and I really do not have skills do to that.

Then again, I loved every minute behind the wheel of '04 WRX STi. That one was loud and exciting even at legal speeds. Unlike '14 model, older one has a really big bonnet scoop and honest, business-like rally car interior. Even more importantly, '04 is a true rally thoroughbred whereas '14 left me with a weird feeling of "fakeness" about it.

Which is kind of odd, since technically both '04 and '14 are nearly identical.
    I didn't respond to your post, so excuse me for responding so late!

I think the newest STi might be too "refined" for you, they tried to move the interior upmarket. But you're right, the engine and drivetrain is essentially the same.

Now that I will be graduating from graduate school soon, it's exciting to be thinking about car shopping, so the WRX Impreza or STI is definitely on my radar.

The newer engine in the WRX is apparently more amenable to modification than the old EJ25 in the STI, if that's a concern for you. The EJ probably has more aftermarket options at the moment, but the FA and FB will catch up quickly.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I'd be more inclined to buy a Focus RS or Golf R over the current WRX STI if I had the money for it.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    The newer engine in the WRX is apparently more amenable to modification than the old EJ25 in the STI, if that's a concern for you. The EJ probably has more aftermarket options at the moment, but the FA and FB will catch up quickly.
    If I do modify, it'll be bolt ons. In any case, I'm not really a wrencher- my dad is a mechanic, and I share his interest in mechanical stuff, but I definitely haven't worked on any cars beyond the occasional tire change. I do plan to move somewhere where it might snow, so I want 4WD (along with the performance) and hopefully a hatchback.

But in any case, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbreaker View Post
    I'd be more inclined to buy a Focus RS or Golf R over the current WRX STI if I had the money for it.
    Is it all because of the better interior? I personally have always wanted a Subaru, so I don't mind if it has less whiz bang gadgets. I just want a simple car. The Golf R is really new and fairly expensive for me.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 08-21-2016 at 02:47 PM.

To me it just seems like both the Focus and Golf have progressed a lot more since 2004 than the WRX has. Not that there is anything wrong with a WRX, I used to own a WRX wagon myself. I just keep waiting for a bump in power, but just like the BR-Z it just doesn't seem like that is ever going to happen.

Subaru used to be a left-field interesting manufacturer but now it has turned itself into a boring car maker of beige stuff. I admire their engineering stubbornness, even though the engine is as wrongly placed as in an Audi, but Group A cars went out of fashion circa 1999.

(There is the notable exception of the BRZ though, although I probably wouldn't have one)

The Mustang would be a good choice, the cheapest V8 for sale here, but it would have two fundamental problems: one, the fuel consumption (bearable possibly) and two it is simply too large (when a car doesn't fit in your garage size does indeed become a problem).

I guess we will have to stick with the traditional alternatives.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

To me it just seems like both the Focus and Golf have progressed a lot more since 2004 than the WRX has. Not that there is anything wrong with a WRX, I used to own a WRX wagon myself. I just keep waiting for a bump in power, but just like the BR-Z it just doesn't seem like that is ever going to happen.
    I understand that, some people really don't like the BR-Z because it doesn't have enough power.

I grew up learning how to drive in a 1.8 L 2nd Gen Honda Accord, anything has more power than that thing. Besides, it might be more rewarding to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Besides, it might be more rewarding to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
    You'd probably be right about that. But then it comes down to the roads where you live. If you have a nice mountain pass or twisty country lane, you'd be better of with a slower better handeling car. But with straight roads and highways (autobahn) I'd rather have a car with some serious punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    You'd probably be right about that. But then it comes down to the roads where you live. If you have a nice mountain pass or twisty country lane, you'd be better of with a slower better handeling car. But with straight roads and highways (autobahn) I'd rather have a car with some serious punch.
    And also long gearing. No one likes to cruise constantly at 6000rpm.

This is what would prevent me from getting the Toyobaru. The gearing is too short for (european) motorway speeds.
    Visca Catalunya!

I understand that, some people really don't like the BR-Z because it doesn't have enough power.

I grew up learning how to drive in a 1.8 L 2nd Gen Honda Accord, anything has more power than that thing. Besides, it might be more rewarding to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
    Oh I love underpowered cars, the MX-5 is one of my favorites and I really wish we would get the 1.5 as an option. I just find Subaru is being complacent, probably because they can be due to Outback, Forester, and XV Crosstrek sales, and with Mitsubishi giving up on the Lan Evo.

I miss my MX-5 so much... but if I was in the market for one again I'd go for the 2 litre.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    I haven't driven much at all, but one of my best memories of driving was coming back from Canada and setting the GPS wrong so that it would avoid toll roads. The GPS unit is crap, but directed us over some real backwater mountain roads. Granted, I was in a 2001 Subaru Forester, so it's no cornering master, but it was fun driving a bunch of switchbacks. And this is a N/A 4 cylinder Forester, so not really much power at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And also long gearing. No one likes to cruise constantly at 6000rpm.

This is what would prevent me from getting the Toyobaru. The gearing is too short for (european) motorway speeds.
    I would never understand short gearing problems, where I live there's so much traffic I wouldn't get much of a chance to cruise long enough to figure that out. Is it a noise/vibration issue?

Oh I love underpowered cars, the MX-5 is one of my favorites and I really wish we would get the 1.5 as an option. I just find Subaru is being complacent, probably because they can be due to Outback, Forester, and XV Crosstrek sales, and with Mitsubishi giving up on the Lan Evo.
    Well, Subaru could bring back a decent CVT and a proper WRX Impreza/STI hatch, Legacy and Legacy wagon for the US market (in manual). My cousin had a 2.5 Legacy GT MT and that is the fastest car I've ever been in since. Mitsubishi really hasn't tried hard in quite some time, I'm not sure why they stopped developing the Galant. Probably because of issues from when they were bought by Chrysler/Mercedes-Benz.

I miss my MX-5 so much... but if I was in the market for one again I'd go for the 2 litre.
    When did you get rid of it and why? Sorry for your loss.

What cars do you have now?
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 08-28-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Some Italian tractor...
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I would never understand short gearing problems, where I live there's so much traffic I wouldn't get much of a chance to cruise long enough to figure that out. Is it a noise/vibration issue?
    For it is mainly the noise indeed. I normally drive on pretty much deserted motorways at night (a benefit of not having make up my schedule for anyone other than myself), usually around 240km every weekend.

I doesn't matter if you do it from time to time, but when you do it (pretty much) every week at least once what you want is quietness, calmness and comfort while cruising at a 100+.

This does definitely affect your car choices.
    When did you get rid of it and why? Sorry for your loss.

About a couple of years ago I sold it. I loved it, but it just wasn't the car for me.

I now drive the Alfa Romeo, and occasionally a Smart Forfour Turbo (which I hate but is ace to park).

Comparatively I liked the Mazda much more than the Alfa but the Alfa is the type of car that suits me the best right now.

Nevertheless I might revise my car strategy in the short-mid term.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Some Italian tractor...
    Ah right, the Lamborghini! How could I forget?

For it is mainly the noise indeed. I normally drive on pretty much deserted motorways at night (a benefit of not having make up my schedule for anyone other than myself), usually around 240km every weekend.

I doesn't matter if you do it from time to time, but when you do it (pretty much) every week at least once what you want is quietness, calmness and comfort while cruising at a 100+.

This does definitely affect your car choices.

About a couple of years ago I sold it. I loved it, but it just wasn't the car for me.

I now drive the Alfa Romeo, and occasionally a Smart Forfour Turbo (which I hate but is ace to park).

Comparatively I liked the Mazda much more than the Alfa but the Alfa is the type of car that suits me the best right now.

Nevertheless I might revise my car strategy in the short-mid term.
    Good to know. So what are you choosing between in the short term? I realized that car shopping can be very fun, no wonder why females do it so often.

Thread Information