Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lotus Evora Engine

Lightbulb Lotus Evora Engine

OK, I know that the Toyota Camry engine is a fine one, but it lacks serious hp and charisma.
    How about the Ford twin turbo Ecoboost (if it fits)? It seems to have more power potential.
    Last edited by DanVB; 09-16-2009 at 01:25 PM.
    No man has a good enough memory to make a successful liar. ~Abraham Lincoln

people said the same thing about the rover K engine... and a lotus isn't about serious HP.
    not forgetting there is a factory supercharged version of the engine available from toyota.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    people said the same thing about the rover K engine... and a lotus isn't about serious HP.
    not forgetting there is a factory supercharged version of the engine available from toyota.
    The Evora has a normally aspirated V6. If they want to improve the aural experience though surely an engine like the VR6 from VW would help.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    Ah the K-Series...what a masterpiece that is. Seriously misunderstood engine.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Quote Originally Posted by DanVB View Post
    OK, I know that the Toyota Camry engine is a fine one, but it lacks serious hp and charisma.
    How about the Ford twin turbo Ecoboost (if it fits)? It seems to have more power potential.
    It is understood that Lotus have a Toyota engine deal for all their Elise / Evora cars and most probably the upcoming Esprit replacement.

Many engines could be used but they won't be, unless this deal is altered.

As said above, the thing with Lotus is handling, not Horsepower. Many journalists have compared the driving dynamics of the Evora to far more expensive offerings, like the Ferrari 430. Now, I understand that those journalists are British and that they will always praise Lotus, but one cannot undermine the fact that the engine - chassis provides very good handling balance for the Evora!

Hence, the engine choice in this context has justified the choice of the mechanics. A bigger / heavier engine with turbos / piping / cooling restrictions would seriously alter the existing packaging of the car. Now, I am sure that Lotus mechanics would make it a stunner, but it would be a different car.
    Last edited by lightweight; 09-16-2009 at 04:28 PM.
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

I wouldn't be surprised to see a supercharged version, given the work has already been done on the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a supercharged version, given the work has already been done on the engine.
    Given that there's a 400hp version naturally apirated out there already (granted a race engine, but it is fielded by lotus) and the fact that they're not trying to keep it in the cheaper toyota price bracket, do you really think they're going to go supercharged, or just stick with a hotter NA version?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Given that there's a 400hp version naturally apirated out there already (granted a race engine, but it is fielded by lotus) and the fact that they're not trying to keep it in the cheaper toyota price bracket, do you really think they're going to go supercharged, or just stick with a hotter NA version?
    Lotus themselves have hinted for a Supercharged version, so the question is not if, but when.

Maybe a hotter NA version can slot in between

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Also, the work on the supercharged engine is already done, so there's probably less engineering to get it in the car than to tune up/test/certify the NA one reliably for the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The Evora has a normally aspirated V6. If they want to improve the aural experience though surely an engine like the VR6 from VW would help.
    I think I would rather see an updated version of the 2.5L Ford V6 used in the Contour SVT/ Mondeo ST250. I had the SVT and that was a gem of a motor. It also sounded wonderful. Really I think Porsche has trouble making an engine sound as nice as that Ford motor. Then again, for a main stream company Ford does seem to know how to make a great sounding car.

Regardless, I'm sure the Toyota mill will be a fine motor by the time Lotus is done with it.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Ford fiesta ecoboost 2.0 I-4. Yes plz.

If they're still planning on bringing the Fiesta to the U.S. they should have a sporty halo model right? Maybe AWD?
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

The Evora's engine is perfect. Boosting does no good if it creates other handling and dynamic issues. For race purposes, especially if the car is light enough, NA is still king.

Boosting is a way to cheat once the car's weight starts to move towards the heavy side.

Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    The Evora's engine is perfect. Boosting does no good if it creates other handling and dynamic issues. For race purposes, especially if the car is light enough, NA is still king.

Boosting is a way to cheat once the car's weight starts to move towards the heavy side.
    i know, the Elise SC is so crap compared to the NA version.

don't be silly, its not like they are going to give it so much more power that it overwhelms the chassis. it's lotus. people send their cars to them to fix the handling. it will be perfect no matter how they do it.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i know, the Elise SC is so crap compared to the NA version.
    The Elise SC has a very simple bolt on Supercharger that does little to alter the dynamics of the chassis. If I remember correctly the difference in weight is 14 kg compared to the NA version.

That's probably the rationale behind the Evora Supercharged version. Avoid piping and cooling weight being placed all over the car, ruining the weight distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    don't be silly, its not like they are going to give it so much more power that it overwhelms the chassis. it's lotus. people send their cars to them to fix the handling. it will be perfect no matter how they do it.
    Of course, Lotus being Lotus can make a LADA go fast, as Top Gear has proven. But that's not the point.

The decision to go with Toyota engines was largely involved in business. They have a deal with toyota, and they have to stick with it. I would have preferred a deal with honda, but what are you going to do? As long as we're listing the perfect engine or whatever, why not the 2.4L V8 from the Caterham Levante? 90kg and 500hp = win.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Thread Information