Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C6's Skip Shift function??

C6's Skip Shift function??

I asked the following question on another thread, but there's a heated discution going on So here goes:

I'd heard about this skip-shift feature before, what I heard was that when you're driving a modirate street speeds, the manual gear box won't let you shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, that it will only let you shift from 1st to 3rd or someting like that. That would annoy the hell out of me. If it does work this way, is there a way to switch it off?

Taz.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

It is true that the Corvette gearbox has this function, a skip shift from first to fourth; I believe it was also on C5's. The idea being, to improve fuel economy. I've heard that it is possible to remove this feature by taking out a relay, although I don't know if this would have any other, undesirable, consequences.

Thanks gregvl52, Guibo gave me this answer on the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Guibo
    Yes. There's a $20 device you plug into the solenoid that controls this in the transmission. Have to jack the car up and get underneath. But it's about a 10 minute job.
    Has anyone tried to remove this feature from a C5? I'm asking becuase I'm considering getting a C6 if a business deal I'm working on goes well, wish me luck!

Taz.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Not allowing you to shift to 2nd gear ? What kind of crap is that, 3rd gear is way too high for slow city traffic.

i think its a good idea, but i guess it must be annoying.there is one solution then,drive as fast as hell !!!

I think thats crap what kind of gear box would that be? On a corvette i highly doubt it why dont you just go to a dealership when they get them and take a test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    Not allowing you to shift to 2nd gear ? What kind of crap is that, 3rd gear is way too high for slow city traffic.
    It's more likely it actually works by keeping you in lower gear longer. After all having the engine struggle at low recs is pointless !!

Everyone knows my views on how american drivers are NOT used to using revs and rely on torque. Sounds like the gearbox is going to take the matter into it's own hands and gradually educated the drivers
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    It's more likely it actually works by keeping you in lower gear longer. After all having the engine struggle at low recs is pointless !!

Everyone knows my views on how american drivers are NOT used to using revs and rely on torque. Sounds like the gearbox is going to take the matter into it's own hands and gradually educated the drivers
    This "educating" certainly is untrue. The LS2, like the LS6 (bassically being almost the same engine) is happy in any gear you choose, and has plenty of torque to get you around. While were on the topic i much rather have "right now" accleration with torque, than the "hold on let me get to RPMs that i can actually use" kind of accleration wouldnt you?

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    I asked the following question on another thread, but there's a heated discution going on So here goes:

I'd heard about this skip-shift feature before, what I heard was that when you're driving a modirate street speeds, the manual gear box won't let you shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, that it will only let you shift from 1st to 3rd or someting like that. That would annoy the hell out of me. If it does work this way, is there a way to switch it off?

Taz.
    I highly doubt that it wont let you switch to 2nd, ect. When i rode in a Z06 the guy used 2nd and 3rd gear under normal driving conditions. Ive heard that there is a slight "pulling force" that makes the shifter want to go to 4th instead of second though, but i cannot confirm this. I know on the automatic gear box it will skip shifts sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Ive heard that there is a slight "pulling force" that makes the shifter want to go to 4th instead of second
    On the owners guide to the C5s it says theres a heavy spring in the gearbox that pulls to the left and right. woulnt that cause what you mentioned?
    eat cicada

This "educating" certainly is untrue. The LS2, like the LS6 (bassically being almost the same engine) is happy in any gear you choose, and has plenty of torque to get you around. While were on the topic i much rather have "right now" accleration with torque, than the "hold on let me get to RPMs that i can actually use" kind of accleration wouldnt you?
    Still not got how we drive cars

It IS with the RPM, no need to wait for it !!

So, for example I change up when I'm pushing hard at about 7500. If I'm "in town" poodling aroung I change up about 5000. The engine will happily pull from 2000 and atarts throughing all it's horses at you from 3500.

Also lighter engine, spins up through the revs with less effort and faster.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I highly doubt that it wont let you switch to 2nd, ect. When i rode in a Z06 the guy used 2nd and 3rd gear under normal driving conditions. Ive heard that there is a slight "pulling force" that makes the shifter want to go to 4th instead of second though, but i cannot confirm this.
    ? confused ?

Eerm, almost all production manual gearboxes use springs to hold the gearstick in alignment with one of the gates. It's usually 3 and 4 as that's the most common gear to be changing into once underway.

Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLETON
    On the owners guide to the C5s it says theres a heavy spring in the gearbox that pulls to the left and right. woulnt that cause what you mentioned?
    Hopefully it's not "heavy", it shoudl only need a light force.

Sounds like it is keeping the stick in the 3/4 gate with a spring to the left to the 1/2 gate and spring to the right to the 5 gate.

That's "normal" for a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Still not got how we drive cars

It IS with the RPM, no need to wait for it !!

So, for example I change up when I'm pushing hard at about 7500. If I'm "in town" poodling aroung I change up about 5000. The engine will happily pull from 2000 and atarts throughing all it's horses at you from 3500.

Also lighter engine, spins up through the revs with less effort and faster.
    Depending on the car...
    You prove me right again though. My friend drives an 00 Z28(completely stock) and "in town" driving usually switches up around 2000RPMs, and if he wants to pass 3000RPMs is more than enough. And it accelerates hard all the way to redline. On the other hand we have the famous VTEC engine, in my other friends 03 RSX (base model). I was really disapointed, and Im sorry to say but that car was a bore to drive. Ive driven saturns with better accleration and throttle response. I almost fell asleep waiting for the RPMs to climb to a usable level to acclerate, and then had to switch gears and wait one again. Like ive said before VTECs are a joke for perfomance. Hell my moms minivan was more fun than the RSX....

Depending on the car...
    You prove me right again though. My friend drives an 00 Z28(completely stock) and "in town" driving usually switches up around 2000RPMs, and if he wants to pass 3000RPMs is more than enough. And it accelerates hard all the way to redline. On the other hand we have the famous VTEC engine, in my other friends 03 RSX (base model). I was really disapointed, and Im sorry to say but that car was a bore to drive. Ive driven saturns with better accleration and throttle response. I almost fell asleep waiting for the RPMs to climb to a usable level to acclerate, and then had to switch gears and wait one again. Like ive said before VTECs are a joke for perfomance. Hell my moms minivan was more fun than the RSX....
    What revs were you taking it to ?

Thread Information