82. You may not vote on this poll
  • BMW E30 M3 Evo III

48 58.54%
  • Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5 16v Evo II

34 41.46%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: BMW E30 M3 Evo III vs. Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5 16v

Quote Originally Posted by superwaxer View Post
    Rofl lmfao!! What does that have to do with them being concidered as equals?
    Everything. Racing success is very important for a car's recognition.

Let's face it. Nobody remembers the Mazda 323 4WD. But everyone knows about the Delta HF Integrale.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

Let's face it. Nobody remembers the Mazda 323 4WD. But everyone knows about the Delta HF Integrale.
    I would say somewhat rather than everything. Renault may have beat Ferrari in Formula 1 two years ago, but does that mean they make better sportscars? No. Obviously that example is inflated but track-racing specials from the homologated versions are similarly, 'inflated' versions of the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I would say somewhat rather than everything. Renault may have beat Ferrari in Formula 1 two years ago, but does that mean they make better sportscars? No. Obviously that example is inflated but track-racing specials from the homologated versions are similarly, 'inflated' versions of the cars.
    But people can relate to them therefore making recognition much easier. That's why the Impreza is so well known for such a small company.

And it was the problem companies like Lancia or Renault in the 70's when they rallied the Stratos and Alpines respectively. The problem was they didn't share anything visually with the cars on the showrooms so the success was hard to exploit for the marketing temas of each manufacturer.

So what Fiat decided to do was replace the Stratos supercar with a mundane 131 saloon.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

No its got nothing to do with it! There is a huge difference between a production car and a race car.

Take the Australian V8 Supercars for example. The production Fords and the production Holdens have very different qualities and capabilities on the road. However, the V8 Supercars, or racecars, are equal in almost any form. They all share similar weight, power, brakes, rigidity, suspension characteristics etc.

Im not gonna buy the Holden instead of the Ford because Holden won Bathurst or something. I will individually test drive each of the standard production vehicles and base my decision on that.

The same goes for the 190E and the M3. Both great cars on the track (in race form), but very different in street form. And as I said before, unless Im incapable of reading, this thread is about the standard production cars, not about how they performed on the racetrack.

Quote Originally Posted by superwaxer View Post
    No its got nothing to do with it! There is a huge difference between a production car and a race car.

Take the Australian V8 Supercars for example. The production Fords and the production Holdens have very different qualities and capabilities on the road. However, the V8 Supercars, or racecars, are equal in almost any form. They all share similar weight, power, brakes, rigidity, suspension characteristics etc.

Im not gonna buy the Holden instead of the Ford because Holden won Bathurst or something. I will individually test drive each of the standard production vehicles and base my decision on that.

The same goes for the 190E and the M3. Both great cars on the track (in race form), but very different in street form. And as I said before, unless Im incapable of reading, this thread is about the standard production cars, not about how they performed on the racetrack.
    I agree with all of that.

Problem is people don't care about it generally. Racing pedigree is important, especially with old cars, when it comes to image and reputation. There are other reasons like the fact that the M3 E30 was the start of a line while the 190E Cosworth wasn't (its successor technically the C36 AMG had little to do with it, even a different tuner and name).

As a result of all of that while the M3 may not be any better objectively than the Merc in people's minds it is. Which was my original point of why the road cars weren't being considered as equals today.
    Visca Catalunya!

Anyone have any specs on how which car performed in their respective tenures in DTM? I've looked but I couldn't find a great deal.

I'm curious to know which one won more DTM races for the period they were entered. Doesn't have anything to do with this comparison though, just plain good old curiosity.

I really can't decide.....so BOTH!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by F1sean16 View Post
    I really can't decide.....so BOTH!!!!!
    About damn time somebody said that.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Hi people, i came across this discussion and just for this, i had to register to this site. Below you can read what i found. Enjoy.
    Oh and see my name, no question i'm going for the M3. (Currently I'm driving a 325i E30. The M3 would be the next step for me.)
    Like i said, enjoy the article.

SOURCE:
    firstdayoftherestofmylife: 190e 2.5 16v vs E30 M3...

Sunday, June 14, 2009
    190e 2.5 16v vs E30 M3...
    i found this really awesome article about a shootout between a 190e 2.5 16v and an E30 M3.

the article is superbly written, if a tad old-school, which is the way imho..i don't do enough posts about cars, so heres one, excerpted from the 1988 September issue of Car Magazine. i know you can't see the pics, so click on it and it'll enlarge. ladies and gentlemen, from an era without automotive shows and/or crazy japanese turbocharged cars, enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (From here you can first read the 5 page article from 1988)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's the end of the article. the rivalry between these two great German marques continue however, with the later Evolution models which are mainly homologation specials, the E30 M3 Evo1, Evo2 and the E30 M3 Sports Evolution (S.E). In it's final culmination the E30 M3 S.E has 2.5 litres and was pushing 238 bhp at 7000 rpm.

And Mercedes Benz (then Daimler-Benz) countered with the 190E 2.5 16v Evolution (aka Evo1) which was pushing 195 bhp. after producing 502 of these, MB released the Evolution II model(my favourite car in the history of the world, pictured here), which was pushing 235 bhp.

of course, the improvements aren't just power hikes, from new electronics to revised aerodynamics, but it's too extensive for me to write here. you can get the information here

1990 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5-16 Evolution II - Images, Specifications and Information
    The BMW Club of Houston, Ltd..
    Blast from the Past: BMW E30 M3 EVO vs Mercedes 190E 2.5 16v - Carscoop

the articles i got from Carscoop, i claim nothing, it is all theirs/his/hers. thx for letting me use the articles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Manolo.E30M3; 10-28-2009 at 01:14 PM.

love E30 very much ,love M3 forever

I lusted after both in my teens. The Merc was less well known in the UK which had its own attraction but it was hugely expensive, not sure about the Evo but the steering is too low geared in the 2.3. In performance terms the 2.5 engine in the 190 closed the gap to the M3 just at the point when the M3 2.5 Evolution was introduced. 20 years down the line the 190 doesn't have the appeal it once had whereas the M3 is still a car you would want to add to your dream garage. Unfortunately late M3 Evolutions are now being advertised for over £30k here in the UK which is pretty much double the price they were fetching 3-4 years ago.

Where drug dealers and asian stores are born, California
    I'm sorry bimmer guys I'll take the Mercedes any time, in my opinion I will give it thumbs up for having four doors!
    “Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.”
    -Jeremy Clarkson

The BMW M3. It looks brilliant and it was spawned thanks to a great racing car. It's a true classic now just like the Sierra Cosworth it raced against more than 20 years ago.

Thread Information