Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opel-Vauxhall ADAM 2013-

Opel-Vauxhall ADAM 2013-

First official pics of Vauxhall’s urban-chic small car, in showrooms January 2013
    High degree of personalisation available – over one million different combinations
    Bold, up-market design with two-tone ‘floating’ roof
    Extensive use of quality cabin materials, normally found in premium cars
    Drivers to benefit from internet-based apps and advanced safety systems
    ADAM first Vauxhall to get new-gen engine and gearbox

Luton – Vauxhall released its first official pictures of the new ADAM today, heralding a sea-change in the fashion-led A-sector with an urban chic car that can be personalised in over a million different ways.

Using premium materials and design cues often found in the luxury sector, ADAM is a three-door, four-seater that will be unveiled at this year’s Paris Motorshow, before appearing in UK showrooms early in 2013.

Designed by Brit, Mark Adams’ team in Europe, ADAM incorporates a ‘floating’ roof which is visually disconnected from the body, making the use of two-tone colour schemes more impactful than ever before.

Classy, sophisticated and glamorous, ADAM retains design signatures from other Vauxhalls: the crisp line around the door handle (GTC), the wing-shaped chrome grille bar (new Astra) and the blade shape in the lower doors. It will also be the first car in the A-sector to have the option of LED daytime running lights.

But unlike other rivals in the segment, ADAM bucks the trend for retro-based design with a fresh and bold look that will appeal to open-minded individuals who want to defy convention with a car that’s distinctive and striking.

And it’s those very customers that Vauxhall is targeting with ADAM’s high degree of personalisation options. Available in three trims from launch – JAM (fashionable/colourful), GLAM (elegant/sophisticated) and SLAM (racy/sporty) – ADAM customers can effectively ‘build’ their own car.

There are almost unlimited visual combinations, with a wide variety of exterior colours – including two different roof colours - interior colours, equipment and materials. Customers can even choose their headlining, including an LED-lit starlight roof trim.

Mark Adams, Vauxhall/Opel’s Vice President of Design, summed up what makes ADAM unique: “No other car in this segment can be individualised as much as ADAM because we are offering virtually unlimited exterior/interior colour, fabric and kit combination choices. It’s very unlikely that you’ll find two identical ADAMs out there.”

Powertrains

Vauxhall’s ADAM will be offered with a choice of three efficient ecoFLEX four-cylinder petrol engines from launch: a 1.2-litre 70PS, plus two 1.4-litre engines with either 87PS or 100PS. All will be available with optional Start/Stop technology and will be mated to a five-speed manual gearbox.

Later on, ADAM will be the first car in Vauxhall’s range to adopt the new-generation small petrol engine, featuring direct injection and forced induction, and an all-new six-speed gearbox.

Upscale equipment & smartphone connectivity

Unique to the A-segment is ADAM’s new top-of-the-range infotainment system designed to support new media sources, including Bluetooth, as well as connectivity for smartphones with Android or Apple iOS software. This enables access to internet-based applications, including GPS navigation. The system uses a state-of-the-art seven-inch, full-colour touch screen display allowing quick access to a variety of on-board controls.

Round, mechanical clock-style instruments with chrome bezels mark a departure from those seen in other Vauxhalls, while ADAM customers can also opt for a heated steering wheel – another first in the class.

Advanced technology enhances safety and comfort

ADAM will break new ground in the A-segment, by offering technology normally only found in higher-end cars.

A prime example is the Advanced Park Assist II system, which will be an ADAM option never seen before in a Vauxhall production car. Drivers engage the system with a button on the dashboard and it tells them when they reach a parking space large enough to accommodate the car. The system then automatically steers them into the parking space, with the driver only needing to control the brake, clutch and gears. APA II uses ultrasonic sensors to work its magic, and always comes in combination with Side Blind Spot Alert (SBSA).

As with all Vauxhall’s, ADAM uses the very latest safety technology. High-strength steel is used to make an ultra-rigid passenger cell. This is complemented by front, side and head curtain airbags, as well as dual seat belt pre-tensioners for front occupants which offer additional knee and leg protection. Other safety features include two sets of ISOFIX points to easily and safely attach child seats on the 50:50 split foldable rear bench.

Crisp ride and handling; ESP standard across range

Despite its compact dimensions of nearly 3.7 metres in length and 1.72 metres in width, ADAM’s footprint is relatively broad, with front and rear tracks of 1485 and 1478mm respectively, and a wheelbase of 2311mm.

Front suspension is by MacPherson strut, with a compound crank system at the rear. Wheel sizes range from 16- to 18-inch, and cars that are specified with 17- or 18-inch rims come as standard with the lowered sports chassis. The latest generation ESP system is standard on all ADAMs, including a Hill Start Assist function.

Handling on urban roads is enhanced by a CITY mode, which increases the electronic power steering system’s assistance at lower speeds.

Ordering/first deliveries

ADAM will be available to order after its official premiere at the Paris Motor Show in September, with the first cars reaching UK customers in January 2013. As with all Vauxhalls, ADAM comes with Lifetime Warranty, which covers first owners for the lifetime of the car, or up to 100,000 miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For those who not know who Adam Opel was [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Opel"]Adam Opel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame].
    I find it daring to call you smallest vehicle to your initial founder.
    But GM thought it was time, probably.

Opel/Vauxhall ADAM

This might be kind of cool if it was French or Italian. BUT it's British and/or German...ish...

I see a lot of influence from the Fiat especially from the rear three quarters view but it's a very good looking car and pretty cool with all the diff. customizations. That said i'd still rather have the Fiat... i'm a sucker for Italian cars

It feels a lot like the 500 indeed. At first I thought it was based on it.

By the way, I'm fed up with the iGeneration. I want a car not a personalisable fashoin item with some internet and applications in a voice activated 3D screen mounted fashion.

Oh and if Ferrari could do the Enzo, I guess Opel can do the Adam. Won't make much sense as a Vauxhall though...

Or something.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 07-11-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

And more of the same with a opel badge, or mirrored because of the steering wheel.

I want that bicycle

The bike is definitely really cool !
    I think Opel/Vauxhall is trying to hard to put this in the market as a hip and cool, youth car. And rumours say it will be priced for more than a equivalent Fiat 500. But offcourse..... Opel is premium

I wouldn't think this styling would be viewed as hip to the youth...they might buy it if it's all they can afford.

It looks horrid IMO, contrived.

Given that half of its rivels are milking the retro thing, I reckon this has a chance with the young'uns. It's not a bad looker and once the turbo 3-pot is in it it'll have a chance and being a noice little pocket rocket.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Given that half of its rivels are milking the retro thing, I reckon this has a chance with the young'uns. It's not a bad looker and once the turbo 3-pot is in it it'll have a chance and being a noice little pocket rocket.
    Apparently, the only non-retro premiumish fashion statement... er... hatchback is flopping badly.

I almost bought one.

Which makes sense.

I guess.

Or something.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Apparently, the only non-retro premiumish fashion statement... er... hatchback is flopping badly.
    Which is?

Citroën DS3.
    Visca Catalunya!

What about the A1?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information