Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FAILBox 360 - Help!

this doesn't come under that three year warranty they gave to all xboxes?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    Well, I'll know for sure when I get Micro$oft Support's response (which I'll copy and paste on here for all to see).
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Thanks W. The section on scratched discs details exactly what's happening with my console - but M$ are apparently refusing to fix the problem if your console is out of warranty, which mine is.

Personally, I'm not prepared to spend any money on XBox 360 products unless this problem is resolved by Microsoft, for free, as I feel that this is entirely their fault. I have not misused any of the hardware or software in any way.

- Unless they fix it, they'll lose all future business from me!!!
    I had the same problem and then by some 'every cloud has a silver lining' stroke of luck it red ringed. Sent it in and got a new one and all's been well. I heard it had something to do with rushed production and as someone said, a design flaw.

Also, not sure if you were guilty of this but don't physically move your xbox while the disc is spinning inside. You can almost guarantee scratches by doing that.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

A good reason to buy a PS3!

All kidding aside, I have heard of some bad horror story failures of the PS3 as well, so even I'm not really exactly safe.

Hope the tech support goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    3 year warrenty only covers three red lights everything else is on one year warrenty.

Which is amusing because their recent dashboard update turns off the chips on the motherboard when they overheat to prevent TRL so instead you get the E74 error come up which is not covered by the 3 year warrenty. Microsoft at their best.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Well myself and a couple of buds of mine have all bought 360's within the last year and a half, and we've experienced no issues of this type (or any other). I've even had my cat knock over my box while I was playing Oblivion, and the disc didn't even catch a scratch. Guess MS tightened up their tolerances during the last year of production.

And yes....I am knocking on wood right now.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Also, not sure if you were guilty of this but don't physically move your xbox while the disc is spinning inside. You can almost guarantee scratches by doing that.
    I'd already read about that, as that's the first thing that pops-up when you search for info on 360s scratching discs...but it's safe to say that mine hasn't been moved whilst it's been on.

I had heard that the console was more likely to scratch discs whilst standing, so after it damaged my first copy of GTA IV, I rearranged my TV etc to allow it to sit lying down. It hasn't changed things at all.

3 year warrenty only covers three red lights everything else is on one year warrenty.

Quote Originally Posted by syko View Post

Which is amusing because their recent dashboard update turns off the chips on the motherboard when they overheat to prevent TRL so instead you get the E74 error come up which is not covered by the 3 year warrenty. Microsoft at their best.
    The little b******s!

- Personally, I think they should be prosecuted for this sort of thing. It is blatantly unfair on the customers who have spend hundreds on the thing then, through no fault of their own, are unable to enjoy it.

Thumbs down

I've just had my "default" reply back from M$ "Support" - obviously a copy 'n' paste flow chart!

Quote Originally Posted by Micro$o£t $upport
    Thank you for contacting Xbox Support.

To resolve the error message you describe, please follow these steps:

- Check if the disc is dirty, scratched or otherwise damaged.

- If the disc is dirty, please clean it with a soft, lint-free cloth (this cloth should be free of chemical fluids). When cleaning, move from the inside of the disc towards the outside.

- In case your disc is damaged:

o If the disc was already damaged when you purchased it, please contact the retailer to exchange this disc.

o If the game was published by Microsoft and you would like to order it again, we kindly ask you to go to Product Warranty: Xbox Version 1 Video Game System.

o If the game is a non Microsoft Xbox 360 game disc and was damaged because of misuse (i.e. improper storage) the disc cannot be repaired or replaced.

o If you feel the disc was damaged by the Xbox 360 console, we kindly ask you to contact Xbox Customer Support by telephone.

- Please make sure the country and region settings of your Xbox 360 console and disc match. Information regarding these settings can be found under While attempting to load a disc in your Xbox 360 console, you receive the error message: "This disc is unreadable".

- Turn off your console and restart it again.

- If possible, test your disc in another Xbox 360 console.

- Verify if the error message "Disc unreadable." appears when inserting a different disc.

- Please turn off your Xbox 360 console and remove all accessories for saving data (hard disc, memory units) and restart your console again. If the error message does not return, turn off your console and reconnect your hard disc (or memory unit). After turning on your console, delete all saved games where the error message appeared. If possible, save these games on a memory unit.

- You can find a detailed description of how to remove the hard disc from your Xbox 360 in your Xbox 360 manual or online at http://www.xbox.com/support/xbox360/manuals.html or How to attach or remove your Xbox 360 hard drive.

Further information regarding this error message can be found under While attempting to load a disc in your Xbox 360 console, you receive the error message: "This disc is unreadable".

Kind regards

Lili Adams.

Xbox Service and Support Team
    ...of course I feel that the discs have been scratched by the [insert appropriate expletive here] console! Why would I scratch circles into them myself?

- Looks like I'll be calling their no-doubt premium-rate phone number, then.

iirc phoning them is pretty good, i got good service over the phone.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Someone get a word count? Because UCP wants that those characters back from Microsoft.

Seriously though, that's a waste of time. Its as helpful as the microsoft windows xp "Help and support" section. Whats worse is someone signs it as if its not a copy and paste routine.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Funny microsoft just annouced that they are including e74 error under their extended 3 year warranty now.

e74 warranty extended
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

I have a similar problem, I called them and the guy said make an account on their website and register the 360 on their site but it doesn't have UAE in the country list. I called the UAE branch so i'm surprised he wouldn't know about that. I will call him again tomorrow. I don't see why I can't just send in the 360 in to them. I'm not under warranty but i'm willing to pay as long as its not overly expensive.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    man, companies are getting bad... let alone cheap.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Only positive I can say right now is that I'm one state over from where 360 repair center is, so my time without a box to play should be brief if I were to have a problem (knocking on wood again).

Man, how I almost long for the good old days of underpowered, primitive console systems that you could throw against the wall a couple of times without them even cracking. Nowadays you almost have to have the thing blessed in hopes you are lucky enough for it to survive through your next play session. Sad times. I guess this is the price we pay for having such powerful gaming devices that don't cost over 2 grand.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Thread Information