Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FAILBox 360 - Help!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    Only positive I can say right now is that I'm one state over from where 360 repair center is, so my time without a box to play should be brief if I were to have a problem (knocking on wood again).

Man, how I almost long for the good old days of underpowered, primitive console systems that you could throw against the wall a couple of times without them even cracking. Nowadays you almost have to have the thing blessed in hopes you are lucky enough for it to survive through your next play session. Sad times. I guess this is the price we pay for having such powerful gaming devices that don't cost over 2 grand.
    thats one way to put it...
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    Only positive I can say right now is that I'm one state over from where 360 repair center is, so my time without a box to play should be brief if I were to have a problem (knocking on wood again).

Man, how I almost long for the good old days of underpowered, primitive console systems that you could throw against the wall a couple of times without them even cracking. Nowadays you almost have to have the thing blessed in hopes you are lucky enough for it to survive through your next play session. Sad times. I guess this is the price we pay for having such powerful gaming devices that don't cost over 2 grand.
    That's the thing that so may people don't realize. You're going to have tradeoffs and if you demand one thing, for instance 100mpg from your car, then you're going to have sacrifices in other areas. People want stuff to be cheap, powerful and available right now. Diminishing returns steps in sooner and sooner in the design and build processes these days.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    That's the thing that so may people don't realize. You're going to have tradeoffs and if you demand one thing, for instance 100mpg from your car, then you're going to have sacrifices in other areas. People want stuff to be cheap, powerful and available right now. Diminishing returns steps in sooner and sooner in the design and build processes these days.
    Yep..........cheap, powerful, reliable: you only get to have two. I fully realized this the first time I powered up Oblivion on my shiny new 360....hooked up to my 42" LCD set. And ever so briefly, I had a revelation of how far it had all come since those days when I sat in front of a 12" black and white television playing Pitfall on my Atari. An era in gaming this bold is going to come with some risks. So few ppl understand this tradeoff, though.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

I would agree...but I have not had any problems with any of my other consoles - which were all "powerful" or "state of the art" when I bought them.

Anyway...it seems that scratching discs was the least of my console's problems: Last month, I went to turn it on only to be greeted by:

I've now managed (eventually, after a struggle) to get through to a call centre with someone who just about understands English. They have arranged for my XBox to be repaired and sent back to me...the bad thing is it'll take about a month in total and I was using it as my DVD player, too.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    I would agree...but I have not had any problems with any of my other consoles - which were all "powerful" or "state of the art" when I bought them.

Anyway...it seems that scratching discs was the least of my console's problems: Last month, I went to turn it on only to be greeted by:

I've now managed (eventually, after a struggle) to get through to a call centre with someone who just about understands English. They have arranged for my XBox to be repaired and sent back to me...the bad thing is it'll take about a month in total and I was using it as my DVD player, too.
    There's a pretty big difference between state of the art now and then though. I've never actually had a problem with one of my consoles, but I know at least one person who has on every console out there, so it's not like problems are unique to the xbox.

Good to hear you can get it fixed. Hopefully you won't be without games/dvds for too long.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

The solution is buying a PS3 . They don't have near the amount of trouble that xbox360 owners have experienced. All my friends have had to send theirs back multiple times, while my Sony just keeps on truckin.

What games do you have for PS3 Rob? I don't want to start a war, and I don't even have a current generation console but it seems to me that in terms of games, the 360 has the best selection of hit titles but is let down by hardware problems. No less, had I bought a system, it woulda been the 360 methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What games do you have for PS3 Rob? I don't want to start a war, and I don't even have a current generation console but it seems to me that in terms of games, the 360 has the best selection of hit titles but is let down by hardware problems. No less, had I bought a system, it woulda been the 360 methinks.
    I own GTA IV, Fallout 3, Dead Space, Ferrari Challenge, Call of Duty W.A.W, Metal Gear Solid 4, Saints Row II

I love the PS3. Some people say they don't like the controllers, but honestly I see no problem with them. They are comfortable and easy to use. The console itself looks a lot more mature sitting on the shelf than the 360 with its cartoon shape and color. Depending on what kind of games you're into, either system might have its pros and cons. Typically you can get the same games for both systems. It tends perfectly to all my gaming needs. The layout for PS3 is also very easy to use and doesn't seem as complicated as the 360's, although I haven't used the xbox much. Online gaming for PS3 is free, unlike xbox Live which you actually have to pay for. I'm very happy with it and I would never trade it. I have nothing but great things to say about the PS3. My other system is one of the last original xboxes made, and its also extremely reliable and hasn't given me any problems. I've been lucky.

I can't use the Playstation controllers at all really. I hate the placements of the sticks. The pad was what I had to use on old games. MGS4 is good and even though I haven't really paid much attention to the gaming scene, it's the only PS3 specific killer-app I can think of.

I liken this generation of gaming consoles to that of modern laptop computers. Every laptop computer I or my wife has ever owned has always given us issues at some point or another. I've not known one person with a laptop that has had several years of trouble free operation......not one. When you cram that much technology into such a tiny space with such inexpensive components, reliability is going to be sacrificed somewhere. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have a reasonable expectation of reliability...because you should. I'm just saying that you can't be all that surprised either when the bad luck charm finally does land on your piece of hardware. Hell, I've had my Wii recently go dead on me because a power surge reset some sort of internal failsafe switch. I had to bring it to an electronics store for them to tell me how to get it operational again. No one is safe.......just lucky.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Clivey, sorry to hear that happen to your 360. I'm having issues with my PS3 too.

Hope you get yours back. Do you lose game save data if you send it in?

Seems like Sony customer service truly is better than Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    The solution is buying a PS3 . They don't have near the amount of trouble that xbox360 owners have experienced. All my friends have had to send theirs back multiple times, while my Sony just keeps on truckin.
    Not really. I'm having problems with my PS3 too. I haven't sent it back yet though. The box hasn't arrived yet.

Take a look at the thread I made.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    I own GTA IV, Fallout 3, Dead Space, Ferrari Challenge, Call of Duty W.A.W, Metal Gear Solid 4, Saints Row II

I love the PS3. Some people say they don't like the controllers, but honestly I see no problem with them. They are comfortable and easy to use. The console itself looks a lot more mature sitting on the shelf than the 360 with its cartoon shape and color. Depending on what kind of games you're into, either system might have its pros and cons. Typically you can get the same games for both systems. It tends perfectly to all my gaming needs. The layout for PS3 is also very easy to use and doesn't seem as complicated as the 360's, although I haven't used the xbox much. Online gaming for PS3 is free, unlike xbox Live which you actually have to pay for. I'm very happy with it and I would never trade it. I have nothing but great things to say about the PS3. My other system is one of the last original xboxes made, and its also extremely reliable and hasn't given me any problems. I've been lucky.
    I would add Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction to that list.

I have heard good things about Valkyria Chronicles too. I would get it if my system wasn't dead.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Clivey, sorry to hear that happen to your 360. I'm having issues with my PS3 too.

Hope you get yours back. Do you lose game save data if you send it in?

Seems like Sony customer service truly is better than Microsoft.

Not really. I'm having problems with my PS3 too. I haven't sent it back yet though. The box hasn't arrived yet.

Take a look at the thread I made.

I would add Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction to that list.

I have heard good things about Valkyria Chronicles too. I would get it if my system wasn't dead.

Saved data doesn't go because I think when you send the Xbox to Microsoft, they specifically tell you to detach the harddrive before sending it in.

My DVD drive is broken and my 360 is PAL, so say i buy a new DVD drive from eBay to replace my current one, will it make any difference if the drive is from the U.S, or will the DVD drive work with PAL games?
    Last edited by hawkzzter; 08-10-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Thread Information