Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Golden Ferrari

I should add that this car (iirc) is referred to as the SP3 at Ferrari, so there also should be an SP2 somewhere, maybe it has already been delivered, or yet to be finished, given the first was called SP1. makes sense?

Press release:

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari
    The first shake-down has been held at Fiorano of a very special one-off, the P540 Superfast Aperta, built for an American client.
    The car, the second in a new Special Projects programme created by Ferrari to meet requests from the most discerning clients and collectors to create truly unique models, is based on the 599 GTB Fiorano and was inspired by a Carrozzeria Fantuzzi-designed Ferrari built specifically for the 1968 Fellini film, Toby Dammit, itself inspired by one of the tales of Edgar Allan Poe.
    The P540 Superfast Aperta’s proud new owner, Edward Walson, son of John Walson, the inventor of cable TV, approached Ferrari in 2008 to produce a modern reinterpretation of the gold-coloured car in the film. “I had always dreamed of designing sports cars,” Walson explains, “and when I saw this film the decision came of its own accord: one day I would have ‘my’ Ferrari.”
    In accordance with the Special Project’s approach to producing such individual oneoffs, the P540 Superfast Aperta respects all existing international safety and homologation requirements and is thus road legal. The car was designed by Pininfarina and built in Maranello, and the client was directly involved in each stage of its development. As the 599 GTB Fiorano donor car is a coupé, considerable effort went into strengthening the chassis by using finite element analysis in development and the increase in weight was kept down to just 20 kg by employing carbon-fibre extensively. From the initial sketches to the final, road-legal car took just 14 months.
    As the client took delivery of the car at Fiorano his excitement was understandable: “This is the most special Christmas present of my life.”
    Technical data:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari
    Technical specifications
    Length 4731 mm
    Width 1954 mm
    Height 1300 mm
    Wheelbase 2750 mm
    Front track 1690 mm
    Rear track 1620 mm
    Engine
    65° V12
    Displacement 5999 cc
    Maximum power 456 kW (620 CV) at 7600 rpm
    Maximum torque 608 Nm (62 kgm) at 5600 rpm
    Transmission
    F1 6-speed gearbox
    Tyres
    Front 245/35 20”
    Rear 305/35 20”
    Fuel consumption
    Combined cycle 17.9 l/100 km
    CO2 emissions
    Combined cycle 415 g/km
    I was expecting a heavier car.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

as to the weight and roof cutting: it is likely that the car handles worse than the coupe, it's more of a sculpture than a sports car but i may be wrong...
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    as to the weight and roof cutting: it is likely that the car handles worse than the coupe, it's more of a sculpture than a sports car but i may be wrong...
    Extent use of carbon fiber could have helped.
    AFAIK the 599 isn't easy to work with without the roof if you have to do that with decent production costs and techniques.
    As a small production run my mate told me they could have surely done it, as a one-off even more I'd assume.

I want to see that tail!
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I love it! I think its gorgeous!
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Thread Information