Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gran Turismo 5

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Personally I couldn't give a rats-arse about damage modeling....they are hardly accurate most of the time, and they tend to be more cosmetic than functional, even in sim titles on PC they aren't great. In GTR series you bump into another guy and you get dented body work, lasttime I check you can't dent carbon fibre, they crack and shatter. People who wants it for visual kick, I drive from cockpit view, I can't see when my front is dented anyway. The only time I was really immerse with damage in a game is in a rally car title, and it seems they are doing that....
    it's not about the visual effect for me.
    It just that if I hit a wall at 200 km/h I expect to have finished my race.
    Take games like SCAR or Enthusia as a reference.

The first doesn't have accurate damages, but you have an amount of points you can spend hitting opponents and cutting corners on the grass. The damages are complitely silly, you can hit a wall at 260 km/h and that damn bumper won't fall, but you get the car destroyed by the points.
    And I love it, it actually asks you to do the perfect lap or race.

Enthusia on the other hand has the a similar system, without the silly visual effects. You have points, which improves with the time, to spend in three sort of damages: out of the track, against a wall or track object in general, or against an opponent.
    The harder the hit is, the more points you lose.
    the car never ends running, but at the end of the race if you received some points depending on the position, fast laps, difficulty, and so on.
    If the points gained are exceeded by those lost, you don't gain a thing, and that's the point of the game, gaining points to improve the car and your skills.
    If you run out of points (pretty impossible as you improve the points available by the progress int he game) you don't qualify in the race period.
    Less intriguing than SCAR's, but still valid.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Its not the intention at least to race wheel to wheel.....and it depends on what kind of trackday you are talking about.....Me and my friend going there driving a beater Civic obviously will be different from Joe Millionaire driving his Ferrari....

About the burnout comment, again, crashes are only spectacular if you watch replays....I play games to drive...not watch replays....Good graphics helps immersion, but fancy damage visual is just gimmicks....

Edit for Leon's post:
    Damage modeling for me will be like if I kept pounding on a corner over curb, I might damage my alignment, develop vibration in the wheel(where good FFB will make you feel it), or damage my aero and the car gets more difficult to drive. I don't need a point system to tally up, if the car gets bad enough it'll break, and I'll be DNF. PC games gets that somewhat, but the effect I think often is either too little or too much....
    Last edited by RacingManiac; 06-05-2009 at 08:46 AM.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    if it's restricted to race cars, or to only a number of selected cars, then it isn't featured enough to call it "the real driving simulator".
    Then you go convince the automotive manufacturers to allow all their roads cars to be deformed. Not an easy task when you're trying to push realism.
    As a car maker, I'd prefer to see my cars damaged in a video game rather than riced or tuned (both in a video game or for real).
    Thankfully, the automotive market doesn't see it that way. Allowing a game to completely deform your car makes it easy for the stupid people to assume just how safe your car really is from a video game.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master View Post
    Thankfully, the automotive market doesn't see it that way. Allowing a game to completely deform your car makes it easy for the stupid people to assume just how safe your car really is from a video game.
    because tuning it at 900 bhp and trashing it it's a safe ad right?
    that's definitely not the point.

Judging by these pictures it seems you're gonna be able to buy videos of car shows and races. Including Top Gear.
    IGN: Gran Turismo 5 Screenshots (PS3) 2474280
    UCP FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

I still wish they had Porsches more than any of this other crap. 12859 x 10^3 skylines and z's, and no 917, 935, 911's. Whose ass does GT have to kiss at Porsche to get a contract underway. Man it ticks me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post
    I still wish they had Porsches more than any of this other crap. 12859 x 10^3 skylines and z's, and no 917, 935, 911's. Whose ass does GT have to kiss at Porsche to get a contract underway. Man it ticks me off.
    You could buy the RUFs and then pretend they're Porsches.

That's what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    You could buy the RUFs and then pretend they're Porsches.

That's what I did.
    I don't think it'll do though...

On the other hand, they had a lot of obsucre cars from various manufacturers which was good.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Its not the intention at least to race wheel to wheel........
    that is true, but like leon says if i crash there needs to be some sort of corresponding physical penalty, not just a a loss of several seconds, even if it's just 'oh you hit a wall race over'
    i'm not sure it's the right analaogy, but it's sort of like how survival horror games - i.e. L4D- are these days, it's not risky/scary if you have 3 friends and several large machine guns with you, there's no reason to hide/avoid fights.
    similarly, if there's no reason to avoid hitting a wall/other cars, you lose some of the tension (imo).
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    that is true, but like leon says if i crash there needs to be some sort of corresponding physical penalty, not just a a loss of several seconds, even if it's just 'oh you hit a wall race over'
    i'm not sure it's the right analaogy, but it's sort of like how survival horror games - i.e. L4D- are these days, it's not risky/scary if you have 3 friends and several large machine guns with you, there's no reason to hide/avoid fights.
    similarly, if there's no reason to avoid hitting a wall/other cars, you lose some of the tension (imo).
    quote ftmft
    deterrent, we need it.

Thread Information