8. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

5 62.50%
  • no

3 37.50%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New racing and exotic based car club

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    No, FD, I wasn't suggesting you do a rally "track" as then you wont get ANY expensive car owner to come near it.
    IF you still want the club idea then you have to invest.
    Cheap tarmac wont last, cheap tarmac wont give grip in wet ( guess this one depends on weather where you plan to build ) amd cheap tarmac wont survive hot/cold cycles.
    The underlying base has to be stable or you face having to tear up sections every 4-5 years and relay them to remove tramlining and ripples
    Again, I presume you are wanting the prestige car owner who wants a near perfect track

Now, point made by others ... IF what you want is a fun place to hoon around in and for a couple of years let your kid learn the limits of handling skills early then a dirt track and bike engined buggies is WAY cheaper and possibility of offering rental ? ( Though the US will have to have changed from a few years back when customers comng over here woudl be amazed at what we legally could do on tracks without fear of litigation )

BUT .... cant you do that in public places anyway without the hassle of "building" something ??
    well yeah the car club will still be for the highend stuff, but my private track, if its made just dirt, will be for fun. just buying cheap cars and racing them until they fall apart! also i have a really nice track laid out that I want to make. it has a 1/4 mile strait and 14 corners. very nice corner variation also, but its only on paper right now.

Would a modded TT Supra get in?

how many were produced per year on average? ok well you know what, I'd say yes, even though I don't know what year yours is, most years were under 3000 so that I think is rare enough.
    Last edited by FastDriver; 04-30-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Intrigued how the club will work if no track
    Isn't it then the same as dozens that already exist ?

best advice on "paper design" for tracks is build it in virutal world like rFactor or GTR/2/Legends etc etc and try it before building
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Intrigued how the club will work if no track
    Isn't it then the same as dozens that already exist ?

best advice on "paper design" for tracks is build it in virutal world like rFactor or GTR/2/Legends etc etc and try it before building
    Yeah I plan on building it in Rfactor, I will probably wait till Rfactor 2 comes out. I can't wait. But even if it is just a dirt track we can buy cheap old cars and rumble around in some fun races! also we will still go to a real track once a month so we can drive our fast cars fast! How its different from other clubs? well i guess the biggest thing is the type of cars that will be in it. Only premium limited production cars. I think it will be a lot of fun! I think I will get a Lotus Exige to drive on the track, that will be fun

WIll be fun but you wont learn a lot on dirt and cheap old cars. Those days are past now You need to very quickly get to something with working suspension and adjustable to learn quickly. Most part of a fast driver in todays sport is the ability to dial a car in. They days of drivers who worked around the failings are along gone - sadly, as I am mainly in that class Was discussing this point at Ingliston today with a chap who has rebuilt his Europa race car and the differences in racing then and now.

Re the difference ? Have you done the research on the "type of cars" angle you are spinning ? Certainly over here owners clubs cover the single types and "fast marque" covering your view are already very well catered for. Watch you you're not going to end up competing with a well established set of competitors already there with negotoated contracts with tracks in place.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

this isn't a racing club, it is mainly to get a large group with a veriety of exotic cars together to go on cruses and go to the track to have fun. My track that I am building is just for fun, not for professional racing. I plan on going to tracks all over the US for our club just to drive. have the dirt track, if i can't get the funding to pave it, is just for us to let loose and have fun. surely they wouldn't want to beat and bang their 100k cars, but beating on some old 80s bmws and auidis would be no worry. they are cheap to buy, so no one will care if there car gets totalled When I was younger me and my neighbor use to get old cars for aroun $500 and race them in the field until the wheel fell off :P

You have me confused again, FD. Thought teaching your son racing was a key part ?

An owner of a porsche has no interest in "beating" some old BMWs.
    That's like suggesting the owner of a michelin star restaurant would want to eat at McDonalds !!!!

I did likewise what you had in the past, just there were 10-12 of us and we learned to repair/fix as well BUT there are better ways ( and safer given the possible speed of more modern machinery ! )

I will close on what I suggested at the beginning. Sort out your business idea, your plan and research it properly. Because now you are suggesting a "club" which then hires tracks all over the US for folsk to drive on. WHY on earth would anyone pay a large sum to be a member to join that club when there are so many doing the same task without "membership lump sum". AND if you follow this "new" plan through then you run out of money half way through year one and as you said it woudl then be "free" for members to take car on track you will quickly be taken to court for failing to deliver to contract

Only way to sucess is research, research, research.
    Only in bad tv movies do "ideas out of the blue" work

You have me confused again, FD. Thought teaching your son racing was a key part ?

That's like suggesting the owner of a michelin star restaurant would want to eat at McDonalds !!!!

I did likewise what you had in the past, just there were 10-12 of us and we learned to repair/fix as well BUT there are better ways ( and safer given the possible speed of more modern machinery ! )

I will close on what I suggested at the beginning. Sort out your business idea, your plan and research it properly. Because now you are suggesting a "club" which then hires tracks all over the US for folsk to drive on. WHY on earth would anyone pay a large sum to be a member to join that club when there are so many doing the same task without "membership lump sum". AND if you follow this "new" plan through then you run out of money half way through year one and as you said it woudl then be "free" for members to take car on track you will quickly be taken to court for failing to deliver to contract

Only way to sucess is research, research, research.
    Only in bad tv movies do "ideas out of the blue" work
    yes, sorry about that, I would like to have a race track for my son to practice on, however if that is not possible, I will just get him on another track, if i have to pay track fees fine, that and the car club are two different things that have nothing to do with each other besides having a track, which is looking quite dismal.

So on to the racing old BMW cars on a dirt rally track! You wouldn't think that was fun? I've been in love with racing since I was about 3 years old, or as far back as i can remember, and that sounds extremely fun to me. because once your car breaks, you don't have to worry about fixing it, its cheaper to just buy a new one

Anyway yes, it would be pointless to charge a member fee without a private track. Since my track idea isn't going to work, It will still be free membership, and everyone can pay for their own track time. I thought I addressed this earlier when I mentioned it would cost about $250 a day

Y
    there is a porsche vs bmw track event annually here, but that's about it.. once a year.

ps: the porsches always beat the taxi's
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

sorry clutch , by "beating" I was taking FD's idea that it was beat-up cars that they were driving ? Or did I read that idea wrong ???

There is no "fun" in driving a shitty handling car after driving a decent car. It's good for a laugh alongside driving the serious stuff for fun.

You just want the performance and capability of the good car.

Again, you seem to be drifting aimlessly around this arena TO work you HAVE to start thinking like a businessman DO the research, then do the research and THEN do more research

Sorry, missed the $250 a day comment. So where do you think you can hire a decent track where a performance car will go for less than that ? Presuming you want to make some profit.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-01-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Sorry, missed the $250 a day comment. So where do you think you can hire a decent track where a performance car will go for less than that ? Presuming you want to make some profit.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. I was saying When there is a track day at a local track, take Watkins glen for instance, the club members will just each pay for themselves. I don't plan on making any sort of profit, just have fun

OK, even more so ... so WHY would these people join your club for anything extra.
    If the track is organising a trackday, what EXTRA tangible benefit are you providing ?
    People ( no matter how stupidly rich Porsche owners are ) pay moeny for nothing

Sounds like you're now just wanting to be involved in other peoples clubs when they go to tracks. TRYING to see if can guide your thoughts to this business but am convinced you're jsut shooting the breeze and so droppin' out

Umm, nope. the whole premis of the car club is the same idea. just instead of charging for a private track, i can make it free to join. Still do monthly car cruises, annual rallys and track days when possible. The reason I am making the car club is so we can have a veriety of exotic cars all in one club, not like most clubs that are based on a single car manufacturer...

aha, so you have done research to see no multi-marque "Performanc car/driver" clubs in your area then good on you and go make one.

We are overflowing with them here
    I'm member of about 8-10 now ( and most of those do charge a tiny annual membership which I do determien I get benefit from )

Anyway, there are gazillion examples of what you want to do offer the net so some googling will find you them, their constitutions, club membership details and legal cover etc for you to learn from. Good luck

Thread Information