Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A mini question

A mini question

A friend of mine (if it's not the uncle it's always a friend isn't it) seems to have recently been stung by the Mini-bee and is now determined to get one, the only problem is he has never owned a car before and isn't the biggest expert so to speak. He probably will buy a used one, or whatever seems to be good value for the money. So to all the people with Mini experiences of their own, any suggestions? He's been looking at a '91 Mini with a 1.3l engine, which seems to me to be a ok choise. Not too old (enginering vice) but still with the classic looks and relatively cheap. What's the reliability record for the Mini's? any "years" that you should avoid? Typical problems with Mini's?

Thanks in advance.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Ha we come back to Mini's again

Knew it'd come around sometime or another

rust .... rust ..... rust

Bottom of the A-pillar, sills, top of the front wings, around the headlamps, the seam at the wongs to front valance.

Drive shafts - if they get pushed they'll knock.

Astoundlingly after 45 years STILL the handbrake sticking.

The A+ engine is pretty much bullet proof if it's been serviced, oil changed etc.

BUT the plus is that everythign is available original or remanufactured
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Ok all minis have problems with rust. If your going to have a look at one check all the panels for corrosion, inner sills, outersills, doors, boot etc, also check both subframes as they tend to get quiet bad.
    Ask if you can look under the carpets for possible holes in the floor panels.
    check inside the boot also for holes.

If you want a 1275 then go for it, easy to mod and easy to keep on top of.

Minis are great
    "It feels loud, fast and scary. It feels like someone has torn off your arm and is beating you to death with the soggy end." Clarkson talking about a TVR.

There's a great watertrap just under the rear passenger windows which has a tendency to rust and is a pain in the arse to repair.

My Grandpa used to have a Mini, and he says that youy should just be worried about the tires. He says being such a small car, that they wear out fast.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

Quote Originally Posted by 6speed
    My Grandpa used to have a Mini, and he says that youy should just be worried about the tires. He says being such a small car, that they wear out fast.
    THAT is the funniest comment yet

It's nothign to do with the size of the tyres !!! The car is small and the loads on teh tyre are small.

You DO tend to wear fronts heavily of you scrub speed in corners and spin them up on exit. But you do that on ANY car you psuh hard. Hell my Alpine can take out a set of FRONTS ( it's rear engine RWD ) in a trackday !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Hell my Alpine can take out a set of FRONTS ( it's rear engine RWD ) in a trackday !!!!
    Haven't they told you to floor the throttle?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

1991 is not a particularly good year for rust. For some reason the metal used for those cars was of an even poorer quality. Like Jim said the 1275 engine is a gem.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    1991 is not a particularly good year for rust. For some reason the metal used for those cars was of an even poorer quality. Like Jim said the 1275 engine is a gem.
    Every year starting with a 19 is a bad year for rust in Minis !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Every year starting with a 19 is a bad year for rust in Minis !!!!
    Yes and apparently the years starting with 18 were particularly bad; none left.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

back in trinidad my uncle used to drive one around. when he heard they were making a new one he quickly ran to his BMW dealer and put a reservation down. he was like #6 on the list he wanted one. test drove it and all but then realized it wasn't for him so he didn't get one.

the new minis are defnitely not the old ones, but they aint bad..

maybe i'm biased
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thank you guys I'll make sure he checks into that rust issue. I'd also like to know some things in general about the price. But since the price classes in mosts of our countries are quite different with Finland being one of the absolute highest in the world when it comes to cars it can be hard to compare. But I assume that the Mini, being quite wanted, is slightly more expensive then other cars the same age and performance but then again doesn't lose as much value over time?
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    Ha we come back to Mini's again

Knew it'd come around sometime or another
    Yeah , what did your friend end up getting in the end?
    - Are YOU listed? -

Thread Information