Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Porsche to Le Mans in 2014

Porsche to Le Mans in 2014

I have no press release (I'm sure someone else might).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhOsD...embedded#at=32

But yeah, this can only be awesome, although it might be weird if Audi is still in it?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I have no press release (I'm sure someone else might).
    Here you go:

Porsche returns to Le Mans with a works-run LMP1 sports prototype. The first outing of the completely new developed race car is planned for the year 2014. With 16 overall victories, Porsche is the most successful manufacturer in Le Mans. The most recent win was in 1998 with the Porsche 911 GT1.

“Motorsport was always an essential part of the Porsche brand,” emphasises Matthias Müller, President of the Executive Board at Porsche AG. “So for us it was only a matter of time before we returned as a factory to the top league of racing. Porsche’s successes in Le Mans are unrivalled. We want to follow up on this with the 17th outright victory.”

With the RS Spyder sports prototype that was run with great success from 2006 to 2008 by the factory-backed Penske Racing team in the USA and to 2010 by several customer teams worldwide, Porsche has set the benchmark recently in the LMP2 category. “With the RS Spyder we proved that our motorsport engineers in Weissach are at the forefront,” says Wolfgang Hatz, Board Member for Research and Development at Porsche AG. “For instance, we were the first to run a high-revving race engine with direct fuel injection, DFI, setting new standards in performance and efficiency. Recently, with the 911 GT3 R Hybrid, we adopted a completely new drive technology for racing purposes and achieved a considerable reduction in consumption.”

Hartmut Kristen, Head of Porsche Motorsport, is already prepared for one of the most challenging development programmes in the company’s history. “We’re looking forward to the task of developing new technologies and to continue on with the success of the Porsche RS Spyder. After the conclusion of our works-supported sports prototype programme in the American Le Mans Series we have kept up with the latest technological advances. Now we will begin with detailed research in order to evaluate the various concept alternatives for our new car. These obviously depend on how the regulations for the year 2014 look in detail. In principle, these regulations are interesting for us because the integration of our hybrid technology in the vehicle concept is one possible option.”

Hans Herrmann and Richard Attwood claimed the first overall victory for Porsche in 1970 with the legendary 917 short-tail. The 16th and by now last overall win was secured by Laurent Aiello, Stéphane Ortelli and Allan McNish in 1998 with the 911 GT1. In the years 2008 and 2009, the Porsche RS Spyder sports prototype won the title in the LMP2 category.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    But yeah, this can only be awesome, although it might be weird if Audi is still in it?
    It would not be the first time two brands from the same group have competed at top level.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well last time it happened Audi let Bentley win by shifting all the support to it....including the most of the Joest guys that ran the winning car...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Porsche never left Le Mans, they're just returning to running for an overall victory. As long as there's GT, there will be Porsche lol

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Well last time it happened Audi let Bentley win by shifting all the support to it....including the most of the Joest guys that ran the winning car...
    I wasn't thinking of it, which was just a marketing stunt.

I wasn't even thinking of track racing.
    Visca Catalunya!

If Porsche really returns, it will be over for Audi. They just haven't got enough racing expertise to beat Porsche, and they know it.
    Now all we need is Mercedes returning
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

I would say that a potential scenario would be Peugeot/Toyota/Porsche competing for top honours in the coming years... Maybe even a manufacturer or two more.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    If Porsche really returns, it will be over for Audi. They just haven't got enough racing expertise to beat Porsche, and they know it.
    It depends on who runs Porsche's team I think...Team Joest, who runs the racing side of business for Audi, was responsible for 4 of the 16 wins that Porsche scored at Le Mans, and all but 2 of the wins that Audi scored, plus Bentley's win....as an outfit they won Le Mans 13 times....Porsche's been away from this level for a number of years now, even their LMP effort is primarily a Penske show....

I won't bet against them, if Audi sticks around and Joest runs their team...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

It'll be fun to see Audi and Peugeot running diesel and Porsche putting a 'proper' factory effort behind petrol. It should help to even out the rules at any rate.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    I disagree. Audi has owned LMP1 for the last decade, the RS Spyder was run by Penske, the GT3 RSRs are all private entrees - Audi is the racecar builder.

MB won't return. Their customers care more about golf than motorsports. Now BMW . . .
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I disagree. Audi has owned LMP1 for the last decade, the RS Spyder was run by Penske, the GT3 RSRs are all private entrees - Audi is the racecar builder.

MB won't return. Their customers care more about golf than motorsports. Now BMW . . .
    Audi owned LMP1 because Porsche wasn't competing in this class. And yes, Porsche may not have had a works effort for years, but as you can see by their victories in their respective classes, their cars are still above most of the others technically. Believe me, if Porsche wants to win this, they will. Just look at the ALMS series where the Spyders completely crushed the LMP1's...

And Audi is no racecar builder. They have only introduced the R8 GT3 a last year or so which means that they haven't had time to learn that much about race cars yet. Also, their LMP1 cars may be good, but they scored most of their wins in a time when there wasn't much competition. I'm not sure if they can defend themselves against Porsche.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Because clearly Peugeot is a pushover, right?

Spyder crushed the LMP1s was because how the equivelency worked out, RS Spyders actually have a mileage advantage over the diesel, and the shorter ALMS races means they can stretch out to the flag after their last stop. As well as ALMS allows for a bigger restrictor for P2 cars than ACO rule. Not to say RS Spyder is not a magnificent piece of car, and it is still a shame that they decided to retire the car and not adopt it for P1 use. As the HPD ARX-01e showed, it can still be quite competitive if done right....

Audi has been on the ball for the LMP1 cars for the last decade...through all the rule change, tire change, engine change, aero change....they are no pushover for Porsche if it comes down to in fight....personally I don't see VAG backing 2 full fledged new LMP1 cars....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Top dog endurance racing has never been BMW's thing. They are more racing sports saloons builders not sportscars.
    Visca Catalunya!

Audi has indeed owned LMP1 for the last decade. I love the team, but its honestly bothering me that they seem to be winning almost every year now. If its one company that could beat the diesels, its probably Porsche, although I'm willing to bet their new P1 car will be a hybrid, considering...

MB made a rather abrupt return to F1 in 2010, so I wouldn't count them out just yet, but then again, they may not return in order to devote their resources to F1.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Thread Information