Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 09 Corvette ZR-1

Quote Originally Posted by electrao View Post
    I they moved the 911's engine a few feet forward it would not be a 911 anymore but a really fast cayman !!
    Nothing against that thought!! :P
    I like your thinking. Now if only the Cayman looked as good as a 911...

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yeah, you wouldn't have a 911 anymore.

I've always wondered what would happen when you dump a 911 GT3 engine into a Cayman.

It'd be a nice combination, that's what it would be.

I'd bet RUF would do that for me if I had the money for it.
    I'd commission RUF to make my GT3 mid-engined, and to paint it German Racing Silver or white.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i hear the next 911 is going to have a boxer 8..... should be hot!
    This speculation at this point I believe, but I can see it and it will be made of excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I like your thinking. Now if only the Cayman looked as good as a 911...
    shouldn't be too hard...but then the base design is kinda too ugly to rectify...needs a full reskin!
    This speculation at this point I believe, but I can see it and it will be made of excellence.
    yeah it's not confirmed or anything, but it does make sense as they seem to be pushing hte flat six to it's limits already i think? kinda like BMW and the M3 straight six
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Hmm.

I wouldn't mind a boxer 8. But I don't think they should drop the original boxer 6.

Offer them together.

Perhaps it will make the lower models more attainable for us poor folk.

And there could be two versions of GT2s or GT3s?

One super high performance box 6 and box 8, in both naturally aspirated and turbo?

Food for thought I guess.

hey Porsche fanboys, get yur own thread
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

I can't see Porsche moving away from the flat 6, it's the engine that made the 911 famous.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I'd bet RUF would do that for me if I had the money for it.
    Somewhere (Excellence) I saw an engine swapped Cayman, forgot who did it and what engine, but IIRC it wasn't much faster and very, very expensive.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

I absolutely love it!

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    I can't see Porsche moving away from the flat 6, it's the engine that made the 911 famous.
    people said something similar about the M3..
    and about porsche going water cooled..
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 12-20-2007 at 09:00 PM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

people said something similar about the M3..
    and about porsche going water cooled..
    As far as I'm concerned, they should tear the soul out of the 911. Rip out the flat-6, put in a flat-8. Make it mid-engined, delete the back two seats - anything to improve performance.

I am not looking for a car that holds on to traditions in the name of heritage - I am looking for the best possible car in the segment, and the 911 in my eyes is inferior to it's competition - this is unacceptable for Porsche, and I have read that several Porsche engineers want the 998 to be a mid-engined flat-8, but that management is unhappy with this arrangement.

A RWD car in the modern age that is not a econobox is simply unacceptable - all the suspension modifications that go into compensating for this design flaw are designed to negate the oversteer generated by this problem anyways, why not just move the engine forward?

You may decry me for this blasphemy, but I grew up under the influence of my uncle thinking that Porsches were near the best handling cars out there - and when I learned more about cars in the past several years and learned of this major design impairment I became disappointed. I love Porsche, but I want them to modernize the 911 to make it even better than it is.

It will still be the 911 in my eyes even if has a flat-8 or is mid-engined - and it will be even better than it is now.

As far as I'm concerned, they should tear the soul out of the 911. Rip out the flat-6, put in a flat-8. Make it mid-engined, delete the back two seats - anything to improve performance.

I am not looking for a car that holds on to traditions in the name of heritage - I am looking for the best possible car in the segment, and the 911 in my eyes is inferior to it's competition - this is unacceptable for Porsche, and I have read that several Porsche engineers want the 998 to be a mid-engined flat-8, but that management is unhappy with this arrangement.

A RWD car in the modern age that is not a econobox is simply unacceptable - all the suspension modifications that go into compensating for this design flaw are designed to negate the oversteer generated by this problem anyways, why not just move the engine forward?

You may decry me for this blasphemy, but I grew up under the influence of my uncle thinking that Porsches were near the best handling cars out there - and when I learned more about cars in the past several years and learned of this major design impairment I became disappointed. I love Porsche, but I want them to modernize the 911 to make it even better than it is.

It will still be the 911 in my eyes even if has a flat-8 or is mid-engined - and it will be even better than it is now.
    fact is customers probably wouldn't agree with you... so they probably wouldn't try another 928/944 stunt. i can see the cayman getting enhanced a bit, but the 911 will most likely retain it's design.. i mean the GT3RS can lap faster than the 430 scuderia, with less power, better reliabilty and more fuel efficiency - so it's not exactly holding them back.

15.5 in carbon-ceramic rotors = WIN! (until they need to be replaced, $$$$$)

I like the wheels, just not in chrome.

Can't wait to find out the curb weight, I'm thinking the power:weight should be > the Carrera GT.

BTW this is a Vette forum not 911, but I'd like to add that going to 8 cylinders will change the 911's identity more than moving the engine forward would.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    BTW this is a Vette forum not 911
    ...? Post on the wrong forum?

...? Post on the wrong forum?
    I believe he means thread.

I have to disagree.

It is the car itself. A 911 which doesn't have the engine hung out the back isn't a 911. It's part of what makes so special and different. It's the last of the performance rear engined cars that has survived for more than 40 years.

I think it's a good idea that Porsche maintains it. A car that remembers us how it was like to drive in the olden days, a car that makes us a little bit frightened. I don't want all cars to be the same and perfect. Do you want mid engined expertise? Buy an F430. But a Porsche 911 has to be understood for what it is, maybe not the fastest, maybe not the best, but pure stubornness and incoformism. I'd personally love to own one at some point in my life.

About the flat eight, with engine behind the rear axle I don't think it's a clever idea to add more weight there...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Somewhere (Excellence) I saw an engine swapped Cayman, forgot who did it and what engine, but IIRC it wasn't much faster and very, very expensive.
    Farnbacher Lolles stuck a Carrera S engine into one.

CD thinks the ECU needs a bit of tweaking and better tires and it'd be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by aNOBLEman View Post
    I believe he means thread.
    Ahhh. My bad.

Thread Information