Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of the photo comps

Like I mentioned, I want to encourage more active shooting. It's easy to dig up photos from your hard drive, let's make competitions more of a challenge and competition on all fronts.

Besides, there's always been a limit (6 months I think) so why don't I argue that I have great pictures that are now too old for that limit.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    I work on a laptop with a permant resolution of 1024x768. The size is perfect for me. Not everyone here has unlimited funds to buy the latest upgrade every 5 years... As is my situation. Please keep it as it is. If you want high-res images, just have users attach a higher-res after their origional picture in the submission part of the comp and dont include them in the voting thread.
    How old is it? A desktop 15" LCD would have 1024x768 as native resolution. Today's laptops with a 10.4" screen have the same as pixels are denser.

To be honest, if it's 1024x768 due to its age then you really should consider an upgrade to a new $600 laptop, and if it's a 10.4" laptop then it really is nothing more than a laptop for work. Most users these days use at least 1280x1024 for desktops and 1366x768 for laptops. Bumping the width up to 768 isn't really an issue. If anything you can right click and select "View Image" to have the image fit to your browser window, or you can use the scroll bars. After all, the 800x600 rule was mainly designed for people with slow connection speeds, but that doesn't seem to be an issue in this case.

We can ultimately have the entrants submit both a small (800 max in width or height, whichever comes first) and large (1280 in width or height, whichever comes first) versions of the same photo so we can do the "click image to enlarge" thing. Like this:

It's a bit troublesome but this could be it if we have to consider the screen size argument.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    Like I mentioned, I want to encourage more active shooting. It's easy to dig up photos from your hard drive, let's make competitions more of a challenge and competition on all fronts.

Besides, there's always been a limit (6 months I think) so why don't I argue that I have great pictures that are now too old for that limit.
    Or at least extend the limit......2-month seems a bit too short. 6 months to a year would be much better for good annual event photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NuclearCrap; 10-21-2007 at 11:26 PM.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

About the size, I do agree. I put 800*600 because it's been the standard; but I'd love an increase. Only the elderly and computer illiterates compute in 800*600, Hell, even 1024*768 these days is ridiculous. With modern monitor technology, there's no excuse for it. Personally I say inline images up to 1024*768 should be accepted.
    inline images should not be accepted at all, there is the attachment system.....which does allow for larger images anyway.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap View Post
    Most users these days use at least 1280x1024 for desktops and 1366x768 for laptops.
    1920x1200...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

So......uhh......well......are the comps going back up?
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Haha, I was wondering too.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    inline images should not be accepted at all, there is the attachment system.....which does allow for larger images anyway.
    I attach images and put them in the post inline. That way people can see them right away. Also for the voting thread, it would be ridiculous to not have the images inline.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Why? People can click the attached images.

I attach images and put them in the post inline. That way people can see them right away. Also for the voting thread, it would be ridiculous to not have the images inline.
    Yes, inline should only be in voting though.

What happened to putting the competitions back up? Monday has been and past.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    At this point, I just want there to BE a future. I miss them...
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Why? People can click the attached images.
    yes, of course, and then you can look at them one by one. However if they are already inline the thread takes ages to open when you are on a slow connection...

So what is the plan ? If Zeppelin takes over the General Competition, who will do the Automotive ? It seems to me we have established the best compromise possible in multiple fields and we are ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    What happened to putting the competitions back up? Monday has been and past.
    Lol, there's no future if nobody makes it.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Yes and Zeppelin was meant to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    Yes and Zeppelin was meant to make it.
    Was I? I wasn't sure if we'd actually agreed. If so, I'll do it for this upcoming week. Also if I do it, and allow editing, is that OK? Or would everyone just rather it remain as is?

Thread Information