Thread: Console Vs Computer: FIFA 2008

Console Vs Computer: FIFA 2008

Something odd...

I played FIFA 08 on ps3 and loved it. Unfortunatly im not ready to dish out 500$ for a ps3. so I "bought" it for PC instead. *cough*torrent*cough*

To my surprise the PC version of the game is quite different from the one for PS3. There is so mch stuff missing from the PC version!! The most obvious difference is the aspect of the menus. in the PS3 they are beautifull, with great backdrops and you can even play with ronaldinho during the loading seqences. none of this is present in the PC version.
    Also, the version for the computer looks exacly like fifa2007. yet the main game modes from FIFA 08 are present, but with fewer options.

I saw a great improvement from 07 to 08 in the console version, so i was bitterly disapointed when i downloaded 2008 for pc and it looked exactly like 2007.

My question is this:
    Is it comon for the same game to be so different depending on the platform? If so, would it not make more sense to have the version with all the extra stuuf on PC since there is more storage capability?
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Console ports = teh lose.

ONLY chance of "equal" PC <-> console is with the XBox.
    The rest are too expoensive to port, so expect ONE of the solutions to be better than the other and ONLY to be good on the PC if it's a strong market segment. SOn't think fotball on PC ever got that big a following, did it ? UNlike RPG, FPS and proper car sims
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Ironic. I had the exact same issue. But worse. I bought it. I don't have a PS3 (yet) so I bought Fifa 08 for PC last month. I was pretty excited after playing the demo in my local game shop on PS3 and everything. To my surprise. Its fifa 07. With this years teams and sponsers.

This is the deal. EA invested in a new next-gen engine for the 360 and PS3. They spent a whole bunch of cash developing it and it is a fantastic game. Like you said the menu's are cinematic. The graphics are stunning. Its quite a game and its a big step up from recent editions of Fifa.

But this is the worst excuse ever to come out of a game developers mouth in the history of the world. The EA website quotes the following:

For the PC version of Fifa 08 we reckognised that the average computer is not capable of running the new engine developed for the next-gen consoles therefore Fifa 08 uses the current-gen engine as used in the PS2.
    What an absolute bunch of crap. PC's arent as capable as consoles? Gaming PC's at the moment are far more powerful than any console and any gamer knows that he will need a decent PC to play a new game. I was absolutely furious when I read this after buying the game. It really is fifa 07. And they charge you for this?

I'm getting a ps3 for christmas. At which time I probably will get fifa 08 since I still want to play the PS3 vesrion. I'm trading in my PC version for a few blu ray movies before I buy my PS3. But this really dented my confidence in ever buying anything from EA again. Their customer relations in this incident is nothing less than ridiculous. There are ALOT of people that are just as angry as me too.

EA no doubt getting larger kickback on PS3 titles and none on PC so Sony getting them to fuel the "win" for PS3 in the competition
    One born every minute
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

That's why I only buy/play World Cup Editions. After 4 years there HAS to be a significant improvement in any console / pc, if it looks like last year's version I won't even notice (Plus during World Cup times I'm in the mood to play)

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    Ironic. I had the exact same issue. But worse. I bought it. I don't have a PS3 (yet) so I bought Fifa 08 for PC last month. I was pretty excited after playing the demo in my local game shop on PS3 and everything. To my surprise. Its fifa 07. With this years teams and sponsers.

This is the deal. EA invested in a new next-gen engine for the 360 and PS3. They spent a whole bunch of cash developing it and it is a fantastic game. Like you said the menu's are cinematic. The graphics are stunning. Its quite a game and its a big step up from recent editions of Fifa.

But this is the worst excuse ever to come out of a game developers mouth in the history of the world. The EA website quotes the following:

What an absolute bunch of crap. PC's arent as capable as consoles? Gaming PC's at the moment are far more powerful than any console and any gamer knows that he will need a decent PC to play a new game. I was absolutely furious when I read this after buying the game. It really is fifa 07. And they charge you for this?

I'm getting a ps3 for christmas. At which time I probably will get fifa 08 since I still want to play the PS3 vesrion. I'm trading in my PC version for a few blu ray movies before I buy my PS3. But this really dented my confidence in ever buying anything from EA again. Their customer relations in this incident is nothing less than ridiculous. There are ALOT of people that are just as angry as me too.

Wow, that IS pretty infuriating. I was actually downloading a new one because i thought maybe i got "beta" ****ed up version or something... I annot believe this. Even if it was too advanced for the average computer, there are graphics settings to tune it down or up in quality...
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Well the key word in EA's quote is average computer. Indeed gaming PCs are more than capable to handle the new engine just as good as new generation consoles do, even better. However, I'm part of the "average computer" group since mine is pretty good but lacks a proper video card, and I can guarantee you my computer wouldn't handle the new generation engine. EA is targeting the general audience (more sales), not the dedicated PC gamers audience. Unfortunately.

But the "PC gamer" does have a decent setup - either current or one gen back. The "PC gamer" is a subset of all the other PC users. Hence why I reckon it reeks ofprotectionism

I can play the Pro Evo 2008 demo at highest settings with great performance. The graphics in Pro Evo are on par with Fifa 08 on PS3. So konami got it right. And proved that EA don't know what they're talking about.

I have Pc version and my is missing Santiago Bernabeu Stadium I almost die since I'm a Real Madrid Fan
    In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. -Tony Montana

Is the issue not perhaps the fact that the PC version of the game is just a port of the PS2 version of the game rather than the PS3 version? That would make more sense in that it would be hell of a lot quicker and easier for EA to do, and would fit in with the fact that the game seems like a version of '07 just with different players (which is what the PS2 version essentially is).
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,

ROFL.

And they're the same guys who published Crysis. I guess the EA Sports department doesn't even know the existence of it yet. Funny how Crytek said the exact opposite, over a year ago. Oh well, I always thought Pro Evolution/Winning Eleven is always better.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Thread Information