Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo 5: Prologue

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    I'm thinking about it, but that means bypassing GT5 Prologue. I can wait 3 months I guess, hopefully Polyphony will have released incredible updates until then.

Xbox 360 + Forza Motorsport 2 and PGR4 ftw until then.
    It's going to take something pretty damn special to knock FM2 from it's perch at the king of the hill.

But, if they're going to release newer models of the PS3 to replace the 80GB, then that's fine and I have no concerns.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    It's going to take something pretty damn special to knock FM2 from it's perch at the king of the hill.

But, if they're going to release newer models of the PS3 to replace the 80GB, then that's fine and I have no concerns.
    I'm guessing the reason they scrapped it is manufacturing costs. They might be switching to 65 nm process with the new 80GB version, like they did with the 40GB one.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser View Post
    From what I have heard, you can put any 2.5" drive in the PS3 without invalidating the warranty.
    Yep, true.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

I'm guessing the reason they scrapped it is manufacturing costs. They might be switching to 65 nm process with the new 80GB version, like they did with the 40GB one.

Yep, true.
    I think there was an article somewhere of switching to 65nm now that yields have matured...

I'm thinking about it, but that means bypassing GT5 Prologue. I can wait 3 months I guess, hopefully Polyphony will have released incredible updates until then.

Xbox 360 + Forza Motorsport 2 and PGR4 ftw until then.
    I'm kind of swaying toward a 360 now.
    I need backward compatibility now that my PS2 is dead.

GT5 looks like it'll be a killer sim racer when the final product is delivered. My worry is that for all the ambition Polyphony has instore for this game..........will we see it released in the reasonable amount of time? I have bad memories of all the delays and pushbacks that plagued the arrival of GT4. Now we're talking about more tracks, more detailed cars, fully rendered interiors, etc. I don't know, the air surrounding this "prologue" for the game sounds more like..........Enjoy this sample of the game, for the final version is many moons away.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one worried about this.

What's a "65 nm process"?

To clarify what I meant earlier: If the "replacement" model can do everything the 80GB could (plus more in terms of storage etc.), it'll give me no concerns.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    What's a "65 nm process"?

To clarify what I meant earlier: If the "replacement" model can do everything the 80GB could (plus more in terms of storage etc.), it'll give me no concerns.
    The finesse of the integrated circuits. 65 nanometers. The smaller it is, the less heat it dissipates. It's generally associated with processors.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

The finesse of the integrated circuits. 65 nanometers. The smaller it is, the less heat it dissipates. It's generally associated with processors.
    They are fast approaching the atomic limit for processors.

Once they hit that, it ain't getting any smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

Intel has already released processors manufactured with a 45 nm process. 32 nm process processors are in the works too.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Yep. Size of each transistor = x nm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

22nm is the end of silicon based transistors. 16nm ushers in carbon based nano tubes.

Intel has already released processors manufactured with a 45 nm process. 32 nm process processors are in the works too.
    32nm Nehalem debuts 2H 09

well back on subject..

i recieved my copy of GT5:Prologue today. In its shininess. The intro movie is amazing.. and I've never seen a menu quite as good looking as the one it has.. But anyway, apart from the servers being absolutely full so you cant update the game, its brilliant. I started off with an '05 Golf GTi and I'm working my way up the chart until i can own me a ferrari Its a great game, and I'm loving the in-car view. It feels very very different from GT-HD in almost every way. The physics are extremely improved. I just wish I had a logitech steering wheel to use this with.. but anyway yeah this game gets the thumbs up from me!

I saw the pictures/screenshots of the game and I have to say the graphics are extremely good. My brother had a PS3 for 6 months and I thought some of the PS3 games almost looked like real life. The graphics are so good. I wish he didn't sell the PS3 because he wanted money to build a bass guitar.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Yes you can, but that's not the problem.

The 40GB PS3 isn't compatible with PS2 games (it was one of the reason I wanted one, backward compatibility ftw), doesn't have the Flash cards reader, can't read SACD's and only have 2 USB ports instead of 4.

It was discontinued because Sony intend to re-introduced it bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4 and a DualShock 3 controller on June 12. There are also rumours about a 120GB PS3.
    Well I'm sure Sony won't short change future PS3 customers by killing off the 80 gig version. It had the features, it shouldn't lose them in the future.

What about the 60 gig version? Is that backwards compatible too?

On a sidenote, I played the demo version of GT5 (GT HD maybe?), the one with 20 cars and that Swiss mountain looking track. Amazing graphics!

Loved the Ferrari 599 GTB.

Can't wait for GT5. And the DS3 controller. Previous PS3 owners must be pissed that they lost the rumble feature.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Well I'm sure Sony won't short change future PS3 customers by killing off the 80 gig version. It had the features, it shouldn't lose them in the future.

What about the 60 gig version? Is that backwards compatible too?

On a sidenote, I played the demo version of GT5 (GT HD maybe?), the one with 20 cars and that Swiss mountain looking track. Amazing graphics!

Loved the Ferrari 599 GTB.

Can't wait for GT5. And the DS3 controller. Previous PS3 owners must be pissed that they lost the rumble feature.
    Take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySta...configurations
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

Decided to wait until GT5 is actually relesed, a new Toolbox is needed for my job that I am about to be offered, and it's a bit costly.

Wow.........

That totally stinks.

Getting a PS3 will be later than I intended now....

Thread Information