Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ferrari 458

22 66.67%
  • McLaren MP4-12C

11 33.33%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ferrari 458 Italia Vs McLaren MP4-12C

WHen launched they had lots of "news" and pics of race versions.
    DIdn't happen.

I suggest as it's a pig with excess power utilised to make it go fast ... sadly little of which helps come real corners --- not the banked curves of high speed test tracks

Sorry, taz, I was equating your use of hypercar with the Veyron as an example given the comparison. If you seek lots of engine to get lots of power you end up with lots of weight. "bad" handling is a relative term and I'd never say the Veyron is "bad" as it does well making the weight move around. Just as COlin forever drummed in less weight is better. "despite weight" is always a cop out for me as it demosntrates that the weight is the problem

The F1 is the kind of "hypercar" I think of and for me the MP4 is hitting the same spot bang on. No need for excessive numbers to grab headlines but instead a balance that resets the baseline for "good"

I'd rather have an MP4 and not have to stop , reset buttons and settings to then start trying to get to a top speed. The Veyron is an engineering beauty, but as a car it's the equivalent of Pamela Anderson ( and not the one in the early Baywatch )

It's smarts in "normal" mode really give you a 100hp car when you're trying to corner ( see about 2 mins in )
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBOi0iFJVKw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBOi0iFJVKw[/ame]
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-03-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I see your point, but I'm not sure a GT2 RS ls better for sporadic use. In fact it may be the better every day choice. Where I do definately agree with you is that there is no correct choice and you should go with what feels right.
    Im not so sure. Track 911s are extremely purposeful and don't really have much comfort from what I understand, and the GT2 RS is pretty much the mother of those cars. I'd say either the Mclaren or Ferrari would be easier on their drivers than the Porsche. That's just me blowing smoke of course, because I haven't driven any of these, and somehow I don't think I will.

As far as my choice goes, its a given I pick the Ferrari. I am extremely biased towards them because they are all that is awesome, and a faithful fan I shall remain.

Both this cars are amazing and both have there own advantages and disadvantages. Every person have there own taste and preferences but as per me Ferrari 458 is the best among both.

For your reading pleasure on the subject:Jeremy Clarkson on the McLaren MP4-12C - BBC Top Gear
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Ferrari 458 is the best among this both.

If two cars with equal stats are put together the win will always go to the one that's more fun. And in no conceivable universe could a McLaren be more fun, or have more soul, than a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by zondaventa725 View Post
    If two cars with equal stats are put together the win will always go to the one that's more fun. And in no conceivable universe could a McLaren be more fun, or have more soul, than a Ferrari.
    Hi Zondaventa, First of all, welcome to UCP.

I agree with you in theory. But how do you define fun? What makes you say the the Ferrari is more to drive than the MP4? They both have similar stats performance wise. What would make the 458 more fun?
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

IMO, this comparison is not exactly "apples and apples". I'm amazed how every car magazine is only including the 458 in the comparisons.

If you want to compare the McLaren with other cars, it must be the Porsche 911 Turbo S OR the GT2 and probably the Nissan GTR. Each of these cars have 2 turbos. Excluding the AWD, then it leaves only the GT2. I'm sure there are other cars that we can include but only the Ferrari?

The Porsche 911 GT2 RS is too extreme for this comparison but it wouldn't worry me if it was included.

You said that. Twice.

Capone, the McLaren and 458 are pretty clearly in the same market segment and a comparo with the 458 will sell more magazines/get more page hits. A broader test group would be nice (Gallardo anyone?) but realistically the 458 is the benchmark there.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

im suprised the mclaren isn't winning this pole. It is the closest thing i'd ever own to a McLaren F1. best car ever!

458 Italia

I think 458 more alive and dynamical. And what forms at it.
    Though the pleasure from driving at them is possible 50:50.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I selected the 458 for two reasons:
    1) I'm a Ferrari fan.

2) It's certainly the better looking of the two cars.

That being said the reviews of the McLaren are excellent and Ferrari's new trend of putting as many controls as possible on the steering wheel seems ridiculous. I also think one of the flaws of the 12C is that it's very colour sensitive; it looks great in the medium blue they've shown it in as well as the metallic black, it looks horrible in silver.

Totally agree. Love the way the 458 looks.

Thread Information