Thread: Plymouth Cranbrook 1951

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA

Plymouth Cranbrook 1951

The Chrysler Corporation introduced a series of all-new cars in 1949. Chrysler's president at the time, K. T. Keller, wanted cars that one could sit bolt upright in while wearing a hat. They were designed to be straightforward, practical automobiles, and built to last forever. As such, their upright lines were decidedly less exciting than the designs featured by most competitors, but that was just fine with a large number of American consumers.

At Plymouth, the new cars were initially badged Deluxe and Special Deluxe. The year 1951 brought a minor redesign, as well as all new names: Concord, Cambridge, and the top-of-the-line Cranbrook. The most notable changes for 1951 were a significantly wider windshield and entirely new front end sheetmetal. The chrome trim on the rear fenders got progressively lower with each model year between '49 and '52. The 1952 model was essentially identical, although the lettering on the sides was changed from the blocky style seen here to script.

All 1951 Plymouths featured 6-cylinder engines.

I saw this '51 Cranbrook in a parking lot while I was driving down Emmett Street in Charlottesville; I wasn’t in a hurry, so I took the next turn in order to inspect it up close. Aside from a damaged right taillight, it's in very good condition. This car has some very nice details, like the ship design on the red hubcaps and that beautiful hood ornament, which appears to be a stylized sailing ship.

An additional badge indicates this particular car was once (perhaps originally) sold by Arnold Motors of Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Further research indicated that Arnold Motors sold Plymouths and Desotos up until at least 1960, but I was unable to determine if they are still in business today.

A similar car, also in the Oddball Corner: Dodge Coronet 1950

More information about the 1949-52 Plymouths: http://www.allpar.com/history/plymou...1949-1952.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Plymouth Cranbrook 1951 #2

Plymouth Cranbrook 1951 #3

I know where there's a '53 Plymouth for $3000 CDN.
    Tran Am's Rule

just bought a 51 cranbrook

i have a 51 cranbrook that has not run in years,,,it has only 27,000 miles and still has the original plastic covers on the seats and even the door panels,,i installed a new battery,coil, condenser and plugs,,,cranks over fine but still does not seem to be getting spark from the coil,,tried another new coil just in case it was defective,,still no spark,,,any suggestions ???????????????
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA) View Post
    The Chrysler Corporation introduced a series of all-new cars in 1949. Chrysler's president at the time, K. T. Keller, wanted cars that one could sit bolt upright in while wearing a hat. They were designed to be straightforward, practical automobiles, and built to last forever. As such, their upright lines were decidedly less exciting than the designs featured by most competitors, but that was just fine with a large number of American consumers.

At Plymouth, the new cars were initially badged Deluxe and Special Deluxe. The year 1951 brought a minor redesign, as well as all new names: Concord, Cambridge, and the top-of-the-line Cranbrook. The most notable changes for 1951 were a significantly wider windshield and entirely new front end sheetmetal. The chrome trim on the rear fenders got progressively lower with each model year between '49 and '52. The 1952 model was essentially identical, although the lettering on the sides was changed from the blocky style seen here to script.

All 1951 Plymouths featured 6-cylinder engines.

I saw this '51 Cranbrook in a parking lot while I was driving down Emmett Street in Charlottesville; I wasn’t in a hurry, so I took the next turn in order to inspect it up close. Aside from a damaged right taillight, it's in very good condition. This car has some very nice details, like the ship design on the red hubcaps and that beautiful hood ornament, which appears to be a stylized sailing ship.

An additional badge indicates this particular car was once (perhaps originally) sold by Arnold Motors of Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Further research indicated that Arnold Motors sold Plymouths and Desotos up until at least 1960, but I was unable to determine if they are still in business today.

A similar car, also in the Oddball Corner: Dodge Coronet 1950

More information about the 1949-52 Plymouths: http://www.allpar.com/history/plymou...1949-1952.html

have a 2 door w/ 27,000 miles, not running "yet"

been sitting since 2001,,,put new plugs, coil, battery and condenser,,,cranks fine, but still no spark ????

Thread Information