Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FIAT near stake in Chrysler.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    chrysler can build stuff that stays together long enough to leave the dealership? news to me
    Don't know about what they sell down there, but they've been offering 100,000 mile and lifetime warranties longer than toyota or honda up here.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Don't know about what they sell down there, but they've been offering 100,000 mile and lifetime warranties longer than toyota or honda up here.
    If FIAT is smart they'll offer 100,000 mile/10 year warranties like Hyundai has done to get a foothold in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Don't know about what they sell down there.
    since they stopped making cars locally...shit. neons, jeeps, crossfires, avengers (?), etc etc, all trash. never touching a chrysler product again.

that warranty is non-transferrable though yeah?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

since they stopped making cars locally...shit. neons, jeeps, crossfires, avengers (?), etc etc, all trash. never touching a chrysler product again.

that warranty is non-transferrable though yeah?
    My Jeep is awesome (course, it's a real one, not those cherokees, etc. that most people think of as jeeps.)

It transfers. My dad bought a 2000 Dodge Ram in 2001 with a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty and it still applied. Right after he got his they switched to 10 year 100,000, and then lifetime. Lifetime would have been nice, but nothing's broken (despite heavy abuse and a couple of accidents) so I guess it doesn't matter much yet.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

yeah the I6 jeeps were alright providing the rest didn't shit itself a la lucas electrics style..
    maybe chrysler felt they could promise that warranty because they won't be around to honour it
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

yeah the I6 jeeps were alright providing the rest didn't shit itself a la lucas electrics style..
    maybe chrysler felt they could promise that warranty because they won't be around to honour it
    haha, that's one way to look at it.
    Big cities suck

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    IF they ended up making any cars in the US it would probably be for cars that are primarily sold to Americans (like BMW with the X5 which are assembled in South Carolina for instance).

Since there was no cash involved I don't see how Fiat loses and for us I would like to start seeing Alfas and Lancias in the US again.
    I think those very X5 are sold even here and so for the Z4 (at least their previous gens)

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    No issue with US manufacturing. Honda and Toyota have high quality US plants. Ford and GM also have US plants doing high quality work.
    why you are not quoting Chrysler's quality?
    that was the point of my posts, what I would like to know if the assembly ability of Chrysler's plants is good or not.

I guess the main design and so on would stick in Italy btw.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    why you are not quoting Chrysler's quality?
    that was the point of my posts, what I would like to know if the assembly ability of Chrysler's plants is good or not.

I guess the main design and so on would stick in Italy btw.
    I took your comment to mean cars made in the US in general. As for Chrysler assembly, I can't say with certainty. The PT Cruisers are supposed to be well assembled. The are reported to have some issued with their automatic transmissions but not the manual boxes. That would suggest the vehicle is well assembled but one of the components isn't up to par. The supplier of the transmission or the engineers who spec'ed the transmission would be to blame, not those who are in charge or actually performing the assembly of the car.
    However, I don't know if that is true for all Chrysler plants. I generally don't follow Chrysler and haven't since the Germans further screwed up the company. I don't know if the problems with Chrysler vehicles are due to assembly mistakes/failures or if they are due to poorly selected, designed or assembled components.
    Now if all Chrysler plants are like the PT's plant then Fiat could be OK. In that case, so long as the components brought to the plant are good, the total car would be good. A 500 built in the PT's plant would probably be fine. It's also possible that Fiat's design is inherently better from an assembly point of view thus making it easier to ensure that even careless assembly results in a correctly assembled vehicle.
    Incidentally, I wonder if Fiat could use the 500 name in the US. Ford recently had a car named the 500. They may still own the US trade mark for the name.

Wasn't the first generation of M-Class Benzes made in the USA and subsequently a continuous source of trouble?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Now if all Chrysler plants are like the PT's plant then Fiat could be OK. In that case, so long as the components brought to the plant are good, the total car would be good. A 500 built in the PT's plant would probably be fine. It's also possible that Fiat's design is inherently better from an assembly point of view thus making it easier to ensure that even careless assembly results in a correctly assembled vehicle.
    Incidentally, I wonder if Fiat could use the 500 name in the US. Ford recently had a car named the 500. They may still own the US trade mark for the name.
    But it was called Five Hundred, not 500. That wouldn't pose a problem, would it?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I took your comment to mean cars made in the US in general. As for Chrysler assembly, I can't say with certainty. The PT Cruisers are supposed to be well assembled. The are reported to have some issued with their automatic transmissions but not the manual boxes. That would suggest the vehicle is well assembled but one of the components isn't up to par. The supplier of the transmission or the engineers who spec'ed the transmission would be to blame, not those who are in charge or actually performing the assembly of the car.
    However, I don't know if that is true for all Chrysler plants. I generally don't follow Chrysler and haven't since the Germans further screwed up the company. I don't know if the problems with Chrysler vehicles are due to assembly mistakes/failures or if they are due to poorly selected, designed or assembled components.
    considering Italians and their will to work, I guess a careless assembly has been taken into count by Fiat when designing their cars.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But it was called Five Hundred, not 500. That wouldn't pose a problem, would it?
    Good question.

culver is our resident Big Three apologetic.

I've not experienced the latest FIATs, but the others I've known have all seemed pretty Dodgey... now they really WILL be.

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBoy View Post
    I've not experienced the latest FIATs, but the others I've known have all seemed pretty Dodgey... now they really WILL be.
    hahaha. harsh

Thread Information