Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Multimedia > Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
Some Italian tractor...
Hey, at least it was better than your French-Romanian car-SUV thing for a lap around Montjuïc, wasn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
Good to know. So what are you choosing between in the short term? I realized that car shopping can be very fun, no wonder why females do it so often.
At this point I'm undecided. And I have a bit of a problem. Or many of them.

I'd like to go back to a sportscar, but the truth is 90% of my driving are high speed motorway miles. That would be no problem in a high-end sportscar (911 or F-Type for example) but I can't afford those.

There is also another problem. 90% of the times the interesting roads are on the other side of those motorway miles. So in essence, unless you do them there are no (near, easily accessible) interesting roads around where I live.

Say I'd get a Subaru BRZ. At the current pace I do in the Alfa my cruising rpms would be around 4900rpm. Yes, the car would be very enjoyable in the right roads but most of the time I would hate it. Which is the reason why I got rid of the MX-5 in the first place.

So clearly that's a no go. Ideally I'd have to go for something that balances out the handling with high speed comfort. Something in the mould of the BMW 220i/230i Coupé (the 220i would lower my cruising rpms to under 4000 - success!). Sports saloons/coupés like the Giulia, XE or 3/4 Series would also be an option.

I have also considered bigger cars like the 5 Series, but they are A expensive and B not particularly sporty (especially in base trim).

I have a third problem though. Spending upwards of forty grand on something that I don't really hanker after doesn't sit well with me. All of the cars mentioned have problems; the Giulia and XE only come with a manual paired to a diesel engine, the 5 Series is expensive and slow and, truth be told, I don't really fancy modern BMWs.

My current B-plan is to actually get two cars, say an MX-5 and a 6 saloon but I'm not sure this would solve the problem at all. I'd still have to drive the MX-5 to the great roads (which remember, are far away) and two cars would mean twice the running costs.

The decision is still at least 6-12 months away, but the Giulietta is certainly leaving (eventually). As you can see, though, I have no idea at all what will replace it.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!

Last edited by Ferrer; 08-29-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-05-2016, 06:37 AM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,617
East Coast of the United States
I see where you're coming from, you need something a bit more comfortable and yet sporty.

I'm not sure what else could be good for you, have you looked at maybe a VW Golf R or the SEAT equivalent? I've read reviews saying that the Golf R isn't as good a driver's car as a WRX STI, but it certainly is comfortable.

Maybe something from Audi?

Again, that doesn't solve the sports car problem, but you also need a replacement for the Alfa. I'm not sure if you mentioned this, but what was wrong with the Alfa?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-05-2016, 02:28 PM
f6fhellcat13's Avatar
f6fhellcat13 f6fhellcat13 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,225
└A & Connecticlump
Send a message via AIM to f6fhellcat13 Send a message via MSN to f6fhellcat13
I have nothing against tractors; both Ferruccio Lamborghini and Ferdinand Porsche started there. By that logic, give Alfa a few years' time and they will be making veruca-shaped SUVs, lapsing into retrograde design on their worthwhile vehicles, and raking in the moola... assuming Serge doesn't attempt to merge them off with another company to create the Zastalfa Oxidizer GL.

Ribbing aside, the Alfa was very nice, save the drivetrain.

I will not have bad words spoken about the Duster, however! As embarassing as it is to admit, I really liked that car. Humility is lost on modern cars... Had there been the odd particle of sand, or even a seagull carcass, on Barcelona's beautifully-paved roads the Duster's faux-offroad prowess would have radiated through. Not since the Gauls and Goths told the Romans to "**** off" and then sacked Rome and the Dacians told the Romans to "**** off" and were then sacked and obliterated by Rome have the French and Roumanians been in such accord!
(As embarassing as it is to admit, I really liked that car; humility is lost on modern cars...)

The classic enthusiast's condundrum: Cheap, interesting, or useful: pick two. Obviously a motorcycle would fulfill any fuel economy and speed requirements, but they're short on practicality (especially if you're on the road for work) and you don't strike me as the Power-Ranger-riding-everywhere-at-987,000-rpm-on-his-RZRYZXRFXRZCRR-99RR-R99R9RRR9X type. They are also fairly fatiguing for long stretches at the communistical 180 metrics/hour that you folks are wont to do.

Even though I think it is ugly, I'm sure the Fiat Spider's turbo charger gives it a bit longer legs than the Miata. There are the usual host of hot hatches from Europe (and Ford) and the usual host of flat-brim rally specials from Japan (and Ford), but with the exception of the Fiesta RS and Renaultsport Megane, none of them really do much for me. Neither of those two strike me as being particularly long-legged. It seems the Germans are the only ones interested in making the businessman's express that it seems you want. Even then, Audi and Mercedes don't make much at that level that's dynamically interesting. Modern BMWs leave me a bit cold as well. Were it not for its size, the Mustang would be a good choice and I know you have a soft spot for the Challenger, but that's probably best left as a fantasy.

If you intend to keep the cars through at least one round of consumables and have an insurance company that is amenable to adjusting down your individual rates because the same mileage will be spread across two vehicles, you might almost be able to convince yourself of the financial feasibility of a two-car solution.
__________________
"Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
"No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-07-2016, 01:47 AM
pimento's Avatar
pimento pimento is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,536
Perth, Australia
Just to get this thread back on topic...

2016 Focus RS MK3 Drift Mode Epic Fail - YouTube

[Article]
__________________
Life's too short to drive bad cars.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-07-2016, 07:29 PM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,617
East Coast of the United States
Dude bros will be dude bros who think they're Ken Block.

I'm not sure why he's so popular anyway, he's not particularly successful at rally cross, he just makes Youtube clickbait and sells lots of sneakers to skaters.

Going off topic was actually a nice breath of fresh air. As much as I like staying on topic, it's been fairly stagnant around these parts...
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-08-2016, 01:41 AM
pimento's Avatar
pimento pimento is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,536
Perth, Australia
I'm not really trying to keep topics on topic, I just wanted to post that.
__________________
Life's too short to drive bad cars.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-10-2016, 03:36 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
I see where you're coming from, you need something a bit more comfortable and yet sporty.

I'm not sure what else could be good for you, have you looked at maybe a VW Golf R or the SEAT equivalent? I've read reviews saying that the Golf R isn't as good a driver's car as a WRX STI, but it certainly is comfortable.

Maybe something from Audi?

Again, that doesn't solve the sports car problem, but you also need a replacement for the Alfa. I'm not sure if you mentioned this, but what was wrong with the Alfa?
I understand where you are coming from; being from Europe a hot hatch is a natural choice. We have plenty of them available and pretty much all of them are afforadble, fast and pretty decent to drive.

But there's a problem and it is that I would like to go back to rear wheel drive. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of front drivers that drive very well but the driving dynamics that rear wheel drive gives you are just better.

So while a Seat Leon Cupra could be a good idea (well except maybe for utting 290bhp through the front wheels) all of the hot hatches are out of the question except for the BMW M140i.

As for the Alfa. The worst part is the dual clutch gearbox which is just stupid. There are other minor foibles, but the gearbox is what gets on my nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
I have nothing against tractors; both Ferruccio Lamborghini and Ferdinand Porsche started there. By that logic, give Alfa a few years' time and they will be making veruca-shaped SUVs, lapsing into retrograde design on their worthwhile vehicles, and raking in the moola... assuming Serge doesn't attempt to merge them off with another company to create the Zastalfa Oxidizer GL.

Ribbing aside, the Alfa was very nice, save the drivetrain.

I will not have bad words spoken about the Duster, however! As embarassing as it is to admit, I really liked that car. Humility is lost on modern cars... Had there been the odd particle of sand, or even a seagull carcass, on Barcelona's beautifully-paved roads the Duster's faux-offroad prowess would have radiated through. Not since the Gauls and Goths told the Romans to "**** off" and then sacked Rome and the Dacians told the Romans to "**** off" and were then sacked and obliterated by Rome have the French and Roumanians been in such accord!
(As embarassing as it is to admit, I really liked that car; humility is lost on modern cars...)
I like the honesty. I think that the car market is getting increasingly polarised, it's either simple, affordable cars or premium expensive ones. That probably makes Dacias more appealing than they would have any right to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
The classic enthusiast's condundrum: Cheap, interesting, or useful: pick two. Obviously a motorcycle would fulfill any fuel economy and speed requirements, but they're short on practicality (especially if you're on the road for work) and you don't strike me as the Power-Ranger-riding-everywhere-at-987,000-rpm-on-his-RZRYZXRFXRZCRR-99RR-R99R9RRR9X type. They are also fairly fatiguing for long stretches at the communistical 180 metrics/hour that you folks are wont to do.

Even though I think it is ugly, I'm sure the Fiat Spider's turbo charger gives it a bit longer legs than the Miata. There are the usual host of hot hatches from Europe (and Ford) and the usual host of flat-brim rally specials from Japan (and Ford), but with the exception of the Fiesta RS and Renaultsport Megane, none of them really do much for me. Neither of those two strike me as being particularly long-legged. It seems the Germans are the only ones interested in making the businessman's express that it seems you want. Even then, Audi and Mercedes don't make much at that level that's dynamically interesting. Modern BMWs leave me a bit cold as well. Were it not for its size, the Mustang would be a good choice and I know you have a soft spot for the Challenger, but that's probably best left as a fantasy.

If you intend to keep the cars through at least one round of consumables and have an insurance company that is amenable to adjusting down your individual rates because the same mileage will be spread across two vehicles, you might almost be able to convince yourself of the financial feasibility of a two-car solution.
Well, in my current job the central theme are electric scooters; this means that there are mechanics and that many of them are serious bike riders with serious machines. I have to say I respect them thoroughly and I like them as machines, but they are not really for me. Also if I had one I'd be killed in a matter of hours.

As I said no hot hatches for me. The Fiat 124 could be interesting, especially if the rumours of a hardtop coupé arriving in 2017 turn out to be true.

I also am not a fan of the current cars from the German triumvirate.

If the Mustang is possibly not the most compact and agile car ever, I don't even want to know how the Challenger feels. Probably like a supertanker. I like the big Dodge, but it only make sense in America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimento View Post
Just to get this thread back on topic...

2016 Focus RS MK3 Drift Mode Epic Fail - YouTube

[Article]
I have never understood the inclusion of a drift mode in this car (or any other car for that matter). If you like going sideways (or rounding out corners with the throttle) buy a rear wheel drive car and disconnect the electronic nannies. If you have a four wheel drive car, use as it was intended to; effectively.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-10-2016, 07:58 AM
f6fhellcat13's Avatar
f6fhellcat13 f6fhellcat13 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,225
└A & Connecticlump
Send a message via AIM to f6fhellcat13 Send a message via MSN to f6fhellcat13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Well, in my current job the central theme are electric scooters; this means that there are mechanics and that many of them are serious bike riders with serious machines. I have to say I respect them thoroughly and I like them as machines, but they are not really for me. Also if I had one I'd be killed in a matter of hours.
I have a similar optimism... Every time I get off my bike, even after a slow ride through town, there is a certain exhilaration at having survived. I can understand why many people choose four wheels, but two have definitely sunk their fangs into me.

Quote:
I also am not a fan of the current cars from the German triumvirate.
The only people who seem to make cars in a similar genre are Jaguar; it's just a shame they match engines and gearboxes so poorly.

Quote:
If the Mustang is possibly not the most compact and agile car ever, I don't even want to know how the Challenger feels. Probably like a supertanker. I like the big Dodge, but it only make sense in America.
I've driven a Charger with the 5.7 and it provides the sort of warm, comfy recidivism that is surely the sign of an empire in decline. I highly recommend it.
__________________
"Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
"No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-10-2016, 09:19 AM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,617
East Coast of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
I understand where you are coming from; being from Europe a hot hatch is a natural choice. We have plenty of them available and pretty much all of them are afforadble, fast and pretty decent to drive.

But there's a problem and it is that I would like to go back to rear wheel drive. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of front drivers that drive very well but the driving dynamics that rear wheel drive gives you are just better.

So while a Seat Leon Cupra could be a good idea (well except maybe for utting 290bhp through the front wheels) all of the hot hatches are out of the question except for the BMW M140i.

As for the Alfa. The worst part is the dual clutch gearbox which is just stupid. There are other minor foibles, but the gearbox is what gets on my nerves.

I have never understood the inclusion of a drift mode in this car (or any other car for that matter). If you like going sideways (or rounding out corners with the throttle) buy a rear wheel drive car and disconnect the electronic nannies. If you have a four wheel drive car, use as it was intended to; effectively.
Maybe it's time to buy a Subaru or a Golf R and lop off the front differential.

From what I saw from the motoring press, the manual on the Alfa isn't all that great.

I'm surprised Ford was ok with a drift mode on the Focus RS, especially with the dumb people out there, I'm sure it's a liability issue.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-11-2016, 02:15 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
The only people who seem to make cars in a similar genre are Jaguar; it's just a shame they match engines and gearboxes so poorly.
It's the same story with the Giulia, quite a good contender but with mismatched drivetrain parts.

Also, having had one Alfa Romeo maybe it is time to move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
I've driven a Charger with the 5.7 and it provides the sort of warm, comfy recidivism that is surely the sign of an empire in decline. I highly recommend it.
Since I am from 1919 and I like to think of myself as a decadent old fart I think we would match each other perfectly. Damn it, I should move to Knoxville, Tennessee.

Probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
Maybe it's time to buy a Subaru or a Golf R and lop off the front differential.

From what I saw from the motoring press, the manual on the Alfa isn't all that great.

I'm surprised Ford was ok with a drift mode on the Focus RS, especially with the dumb people out there, I'm sure it's a liability issue.
The manual in the Alfa may not have been very good, but surely it wouldn't have been as bad as the dual clutch. Anyway, I don't think the Giulietta's strengths are in the drivetrain but rather in the chassis.

As for the drifting thing, well drifting is all about breaking traction and what four wheel drive gives you is more grip... hence the incongruity for me. Want a Ford to go sideways? Buy a Mustang.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-11-2016, 01:10 PM
f6fhellcat13's Avatar
f6fhellcat13 f6fhellcat13 is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,225
└A & Connecticlump
Send a message via AIM to f6fhellcat13 Send a message via MSN to f6fhellcat13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
Also, having had one Alfa Romeo maybe it is time to move on.
Is the magic gone?
Quote:
Since I am from 1919 and I like to think of myself as a decadent old fart I think we would match each other perfectly. Damn it, I should move to Knoxville, Tennessee.
There is something cool about driving the wrong car for your surroundings. A Mazda Scrum in Texas is far cooler than any of the manifold Silveradoes, Rams, and F-Series or a 1984 Pontiac Bonneville (or any other wretched Malaise car) in Tokyo is cooler than a Silvia or similar. Hell, the attached German loon (they do have a sense of humor!) was the coolest guy in that particular parking lot in Toulouse by a fair margin.
Quote:
As for the drifting thing, well drifting is all about breaking traction and what four wheel drive gives you is more grip... hence the incongruity for me.
Because the flatbrimmed crowd have guzzled several Red Bulls, Monsters, and Rockstars, have started acting slightly feral, and demand satisfaction? I would imagine that Ken Block has something to do with it.
Quote:
Want a Ford? Buy a V8 Mustang.
Fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9601.jpg (1.11 MB, 8 views)
__________________
"Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
"No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-12-2016, 02:16 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
Is the magic gone?
I don't think it is the case. I try not to look at cars through rose-tinted glasses (although there is something right about owning/driving an Alfa Romeo) and even if I have grown fed up of my car I still have nothing against the brand itself.

The thing is, do I really want to drive a mid-size family saloon with diesel engine? Even if said family car is quite possibly the best sports saloon currently on sale the answer is probably no.

I there is anything the Giulietta has taught me is that I'm not the sort of chap who goes off, buy a diesel hatchback, settles down and does what he is supposed to do. No, I'm the one that when all signs point to that buys the two seater sportscar then complains about how cramped and noisy it is.

I miss my Mazda dearly. I want to repeat that experience, but doing it better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
There is something cool about driving the wrong car for your surroundings. A Mazda Scrum in Texas is far cooler than any of the manifold Silveradoes, Rams, and F-Series or a 1984 Pontiac Bonneville (or any other wretched Malaise car) in Tokyo is cooler than a Silvia or similar. Hell, the attached German loon (they do have a sense of humor!) was the coolest guy in that particular parking lot in Toulouse by a fair margin.
I understand the appeal of left-field choices, but I like handling and I can (almost certainly) only have one car. Now, in America handling doesn't matter because it isn't of any use. Therefore cars like the Challenger can be enjoyed thoroughly. In Europe? I'm not so sure... (especially if you factor in running costs).
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-12-2016, 04:33 AM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,617
East Coast of the United States
Do you necessarily need to buy a new car though? It's hard, but I'm trying to think of older cars that might suit your purposes. Maybe a Jaguar XK? It certainly won't be cheap to maintain and own, but it might suit you a bit better.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-12-2016, 05:28 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,277
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
The thing that worries me about 2nd hand cars most of all is the reliability.

That and not knowing how it was driven prior to my purchase.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
focus rs, ford, hot hatch


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gran Turismo 5 Sauc3 Gaming 1020 05-19-2014 03:16 PM
Really useful performance listings... Egg Nog Technical forums 58 06-20-2013 10:45 PM
GT4 whole car list!!!! Mustang Gaming 247 07-07-2010 08:06 AM
Ford Focus (Mk I) 1998-2005 Revo Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 42 09-12-2007 01:41 PM
Dodge SRT4 vs Ford Focus RS lfb666 Car comparison 5 04-03-2004 12:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 PM.

 

© 1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com