Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of the world...

As promised proper pictures.

And as a bonus a rubbish egg nog test where nothing can be seen. At all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Nice. BMW plans to release the hatches to America soon right?

Wonder if the diesels will come as well.

I know BMW's are meant to be great to drive but a friends Step-dad just swapped his 996 Carrera Cabrio for a 120d - Are they THAT good?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    I know BMW's are meant to be great to drive but a friends Step-dad just swapped his 996 Carrera Cabrio for a 120d - Are they THAT good?
    Altough the BMW is very good and haven't driven the Porsche I somewhat doubt it.

However in terms of fuel consumption he must have done an stunning gain.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think the only way you could make this car uglier is to paint it bright silver or white.

Other than that, kudos
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

These pictures make the 3-door 1-series look very small due to the proportions of the car; It must also look/feel strange to see a "small hatch" sideways.

By UK standards that's an unusual spec, Ferrer. I've never before seen one with Xenons but without foglights! Interesting, to say the least. Also, congrats on not ordering a primer-grey coloured car (they look terrible and mark you out as a sad accountant with no imagination ).
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    These pictures make the 3-door 1-series look very small due to the proportions of the car; It must also look/feel strange to see a "small hatch" sideways.

By UK standards that's an unusual spec, Ferrer. I've never before seen one with Xenons but without foglights! Interesting, to say the least. Also, congrats on not ordering a primer-grey coloured car (they look terrible and mark you out as a sad accountant with no imagination ).
    Well I usually drive at night and I find Xenons very important and useful.

Foglights on the other hand aren't as necessary here as they are in the UK therefore we saved some money.

About the color at first it was to be white, but I didn't quite like it and we ended up getting it in blue (Monacoblau to be precise).

PS. This may look small but compared to the Mini it's bloody huge...
    Visca Catalunya!

Over here, everyone tends to tick 'big wheels', 'sports bodykit' etc yet if you look inside you'll usually find cloth seats, TomToms, iPod Adapters and Handsfree Adapters glued everywhere, whereas go abroad, to say Germany you find everyone has small wheels, leather, bluetooth, built in AUX adapters, navigation, xenons etc.

It's all pissing contests and keeping up with the Jones' here

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well I usually drive at night and I find Xenons very important and useful.

Foglights on the other hand aren't as necessary here as they are in the UK therefore we saved some money.

About the color at first it was to be white, but I didn't quite like it and we ended up getting it in blue (Monacoblau to be precise).

PS. This may look small but compared to the Mini it's bloody huge...
    I have to say, white 1-series 3-doors look fantastic, with the M-Sport body styling pack anyway, only seen a 130i M-Sport 3dr in white. That 'monacoblau' looks fantasticm on yours. Nice and discreet.
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 01-02-2008 at 09:39 AM.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Over here, everyone tends to tick 'big wheels', 'sports bodykit' etc yet if you look inside you'll usually find cloth seats, TomToms, iPod Adapters and Handsfree Adapters glued everywhere, whereas go abroad, to say Germany you find everyone has small wheels, leather, bluetooth, built in AUX adapters, navigation, xenons etc.
    Careful, Tom: I have both an iPod adaptor and a TomTom* in my car.

*Reasons:

-Portable SatNavs are WAY better than standard automaker factory fit items. They're transferrable to other vehicles and can be used on foot, as well as being more reliable and having better updates + speed camera information etc. IMO the best option for the future would be for automakers to provide a central display screen in the dash with adaptors and sockets for SatNavs, iPods etc.

-The factory-fit SatNav system for the C4 uses the central screen (which I personally prefer to permanently display trip computer information) and deletes the storage compartment underneath it, which I use for my iPod. It's also incompatible with the Bluetooth system and makes it impossible to change the radio headunit later without losing SatNav abilities.

What I'd prefer to do later is fit a Pioneer flip-out screen with full iPod integration and Bluetooth, and keep my Satnav separate.

It's all pissing contests and keeping up with the Jones' here
    Troof. And it's pathetic. Take a look at this picture, taken from my bedroom window:

- Everyone on my street seems to be in a lame competition to see who can buy the best car. If family "X" buys a BMW 525i, family "Y" will buy a 530i just for bragging rights. And they're all the typical unimaginative colours!

Hence I went for something completely different and bought the Citroen in an interesting colour, saying a giant "Screw you!" to them in the process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

yeah - becuase a 5 series was on your feasability list

oh, and youd be surprised by how many people dont know the difference between a 525 and a 530. and whats more they probably dont care either.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    yeah - becuase a 5 series was on your feasability list
    Yeah, it was...the old model!

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    oh, and youd be surprised by how many people dont know the difference between a 525 and a 530. and whats more they probably dont care either.
    Oh, trust me: They do. Whenever I have a conversation with my neighbour (the one with the black 520i SE in the foreground of the above pic), he's aware and bitter that his 520i is "inferior" to the grey 523i but instead takes the rip out of the cloth seats etc. The M-Sport in the corner is also "just" the 520d - I checked it on the free AA vehicle checks, which I call the "Poser test", as it allows you to check-up on possibly BS'ing by car owners. And it's funny how the guy next to me has swapped his E46 320d for a (leased) Range Rover Sport to continue this silly game of "one-upmanship"...

Another reason I eventually want an Alfa is that it avoids those silly games, and I can have it in a colour that doesn't say "I'm a boring accountant and I'm trying to compensate!" - Alfa drivers are car enthusiasts.
    Last edited by Clivey; 01-08-2008 at 03:17 AM.

- Everyone on my street seems to be in a lame competition to see who can buy the best car. If family "X" buys a BMW 525i, family "Y" will buy a 530i just for bragging rights. And they're all the typical unimaginative colours!

Hence I went for something completely different and bought the Citroen in an interesting colour, saying a giant "Screw you!" to them in the process.
    What if someone buys an M5? Disaster...

Having said that a correctly specced 520d has to be one of the best affordable long distance cruisers currently on sale.
    Visca Catalunya!

What if someone buys an M5? Disaster...

Having said that a correctly specced 520d has to be one of the best affordable long distance cruisers currently on sale.
    C6 2.2Hdi would be greatly preferable as a long distance cruiser, (if you want to travel in real comfort...)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    C6 2.2Hdi would be greatly preferable as a long distance cruiser, (if you want to travel in real comfort...)
    Having sat in a 5-series with comfort seats I have to say it was amazingly comfortable. Couple that to good performance, big tank and an almost ridiculous fuel consumption and there you go.

The C6 may be very good too I'm not denying that, but correctly specced (I mean no stupid M thing malarkey and small wheels) the 5-series can be close in terms of road comfort with much better performance

(And yes I like the C6 very much, but I personally think it makes more sense as a six cylinder auto)
    Visca Catalunya!

Having sat in a 5-series with comfort seats I have to say it was amazingly comfortable. Couple that to good performance, big tank and an almost ridiculous fuel consumption and there you go.

The C6 may be very good too I'm not denying that, but correctly specced (I mean no stupid M thing malarkey and small wheels) the 5-series can be close in terms of road comfort with much better performance

(And yes I like the C6 very much, but I personally think it makes more sense as a six cylinder auto)
    have you driven a C6?

some figures I just found:
    Price in holland 520: 49500 C6 53200 (including many options that you have to buy extra from BMW, I think your are familair with their policy.)
    Mileage: Average ECE C6 6.6 l/100, 520 5.9/100 (the C6 weighs in 350 kg more), fuel tank C6 72 liter/520 70 liter...
    Last edited by henk4; 01-05-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information