Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1966 Ferrari 330 P3 Owner's Worst Decision

1966 Ferrari 330 P3 Owner's Worst Decision

Well not the condition I would take my vintage Ferrari out in, but everyone makes their own decisions. Apparently a guest driver crashed this car during a track day. As far as I know, the car will be repaired for quite a fee. Very little information about the crash at this time feel free to add whatever you have and if you were wondering official thread is on Fchat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

this car is owned by Harry Leventis and regularly (actually almost always) driven by Peter Hardman, (for instance at the Goodwood Festival of Speed recently). Peter was at the wheel when the crash happened. All of the body panels are not original (safely stored at home) but there is mechanical damage. If owners like Leventis would decide not to run the car, we would be deprived of a glorious sight on track. Let's cheer Harry for his decision to have the car out in anger.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Peter Hardman was not at the wheel; it was David Franklin. He is alright and apparently it was not a case of driver error.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Peter Hardman was not at the wheel; it was David Franklin. He is alright and apparently it was not a case of driver error.
    thanks for the correction, and for those not so familiar with David Franklin, he was the regular driver of the Ferrari 710 Canam, when still owned by Carlos Monteverde.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Don't you think that conditions were a bit harsh to track the car especially a car of such value? I understand that not tracking the car would have resulted in the car not being exposed as it should be, but was it really worth the cost of having to now repair the vehicle. If the vehicle was not hurt then people would say of course, but one is less likely to crash the car when the track is in good status.

i agree with viper on this one, i'm all for driving classics in anger, and an accident can happen under most conditions, but for a car like this maybe a bit of caution would have been wise?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

If you can afford a car like that, then you can afford the repairs...

But why go through the hassle of having to shell out loads of money when the simple decision of not having tracked the car in the rain would have saved the owner from this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007 View Post
    But why go through the hassle of having to shell out loads of money when the simple decision of not having tracked the car in the rain would have saved the owner from this problem?
    He likes his cars to be raced, rain or shine. When owning these cars, really is no issue.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax13 View Post
    If you can afford a car like that, then you can afford the repairs...
    yes he's going to bring it to proper condition
    12 cylinders or walk!

Crashes happen. Atleast they are repairable to with the same materials and techniques they where built with to keep originality. The same will not be possible with the carbon cars in a few years time.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    Crashes happen. Atleast they are repairable to with the same materials and techniques they where built with to keep originality. The same will not be possible with the carbon cars in a few years time.
    How come? I've seen carbon-fibre repaired before (very well I might add) by ACG (Advanced Composites Group) - the people that supply parts to the Subaru World Rally Team, Ferrari F1 team and Airbus for the A380, amongst others...I live only a few miles from them so when we got involved with an engineering project at school, they came in to give us talks on making our own CF parts. The stuff's amazing.
    Last edited by Clivey; 07-12-2007 at 03:35 AM.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

All depends on how much damage there is. Small sections can be patched, but if its a major impact and the whole tub needs replacing then the mould would have to be remade (most arn't kept) and there is also unlikely to be lay-up information available.

If both where accessible then it wouldn't be a problem, but a bent steel frame can be easily measured and rebuilt with very simple equipment
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    this car is owned by Harry Leventis and regularly (actually almost always) driven by Peter Hardman, (for instance at the Goodwood Festival of Speed recently). Peter was at the wheel when the crash happened. All of the body panels are not original (safely stored at home) but there is mechanical damage. If owners like Leventis would decide not to run the car, we would be deprived of a glorious sight on track. Let's cheer Harry for his decision to have the car out in anger.
    Safetly stored at home?? 330 Can Am Body so far as I know not 412P body.
    0844 is now a 412P. There are no P 3's existant.

Best

Quote Originally Posted by Napolis View Post
    Safetly stored at home?? 330 Can Am Body so far as I know not 412P body.
    0844 is now a 412P. There are no P 3's existant.

Best
    yep, I was already told about my mistake here

Thread Information