Thread: All-new Toyota LMP1 racer and New York Auto Show round-up ...

All-new Toyota LMP1 racer and New York Auto Show round-up ...

Today, the FIA World Endurance Championship season kicked off with the official 'Prologue' test. Among the most highly anticipated new cars wheeled out this week was the Toyota TS050 Hybrid. Replacing the 2014 World Championship winning TS040, it features an all-new drivetrain, which was needed to keep up with the raw pace of, particularly, the Porsches. Gone is the naturally aspirated V8, replaced by a twin-turbo V6. This is complemented by front and rear mounted electric motors. A further substantial change is the switch from a super capacitor to lithium ion batteries to store the 8MJ of energy available. The combined, maximum output of the TS050 is a hefty 1,000 hp, which will hopefully bring the Japanese manufacturer back in contention for victories.
    On the other side of the Atlantic, the main event this week was the New York International Auto Show. In addition to the Coupe, announced last week, Chevrolet also showed the Convertible version of the new ZL1 Camaro. Another high performance Convertible on display was the Mercedes-AMG C 63 S Cabriolet. Its twin-turbo V8 is good for a hefty 510 hp in 'S' specification, while the 'standard' model boasts 476 hp. Hyundai's new high-end brand Genesis showed this New York Concept. Powered by a petrol-hybrid drivetrain, it is the first glimpse of a future luxury sedan.

Enjoy the links:

2016 Alpine A460 - Images, Specifications and Information

2016 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Convertible - Images, Specifications and Information

2016 Toyota TS050 Hybrid - Images, Specifications and Information

2016 Genesis New York Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2016 Mercedes-AMG C 63 S Cabriolet - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I don't keep track of endurance racing as much as I used to, but I see that Porsche went quickest today in the Prologue test (clever Gran Turismo marketing name tie up there I think).

Two things: will Audi and Toyota be able to bring it to Porsche this year? I would like to see Toyota win now that Porsche won after coming back. Second thing: why are all the LMP1 factory teams the same colour?

Can VW afford to keep both Audi and Porsche in Le Mans after Dieselgate or is the racing division separate?

Thread Information