Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FIAT near stake in Chrysler.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    "Fiat has for months been exploring ways to gain a foothold in North America, hunting for a partner that could manufacture its Fiat 500 mini model and re-launch its high-end Alfa Romeo brand in the U.S."
    Makes a little more sense there, but if they screw up, both of them will go under, and very quickly too.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    I definitely like this idea more than Chrysler merging with GM, which was the talk a few months ago.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    how is the Chrysler product quality?
    There isn't any.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    hooray alfas and fiats coming to america. next car=alfa gt, or abarth grande punto
    You won't be seeing the GT. Most probably you'll get the 159-family of cars, arguably the worse Alfas in decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I think Ferraris everywhere in the world are never sold through Fiat outlets. My wife's Stilo needs service in a couple of weeks and I'll ask whether I can trade it in for an F430.
    Just make sure to take a picture of the salesman when you do.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

melting Chrysler and Dodge into the America's Fiat version.
    SRT-10 Panda?
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    When GM called the shots at Fiat, it all went wrong...
    When Fiat is calling the shots at Chrysler, it may go right....
    Possibly. The question is can Fiat and Chrysler get back much of the talent that MB's terrible leadership chased away. I'm not sure what all Chrysler has anymore. The partnership has some logical justification. It gives each better access into their respective markets. Chrysler does have some large car expertise (assuming the experts haven't left already). Chrysler also has the truck and SUV experience which is still valuable in the NA market. Finally, the Jeep brand.

Fiat has the small car expertise and volume which could allow the partners to produce a decent small car for the US market that could also sell overseas. Historically it's hard for the domestics to compete in small cars because the UAW has made it hard to import the cars from markets where small cars have historically not been for those who are too cheap to spend much. At the same time the high cost of UAW labor made it hard to profit while selling small cars due to the relatively small profit margins.

The assembly quality in the US is dependent on the company. Honda and Toyota have done a good job with US assembly. Ford has also shown that it can be done well. There is nothing inherently magic about quality assembly, it just takes hard work and smart vehicle and assembly design work and a system that reacts to remove problems when they are discovered.

Overall I'm not sure this will work but I figure Chrysler was so badly depleted by MB that really they have little left. Unlike Ford they don't have a recent record of good quality and unlike GM and Ford they don't have much in the way of exciting or promising product. Of the cars the 300 platform is the only one that seems worth much and it's a lot of MB recycling (it however is not simply an old E class chassis). They better hope they have something good in the pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    They better hope they have something good in the pipes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    SRT-10 Panda?
    SRT-10 Panda. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    SRT-10 Panda. 'Nuff said.
    Kind of what I was thinking. That or see if they put a hemi in a 500 (since chrysler tries to put a hemi into everything else.) I'd buy it.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

500 R/T maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    Fiat has the small car expertise and volume which could allow the partners to produce a decent small car for the US market that could also sell overseas. Historically it's hard for the domestics to compete in small cars because the UAW has made it hard to import the cars from markets where small cars have historically not been for those who are too cheap to spend much. At the same time the high cost of UAW labor made it hard to profit while selling small cars due to the relatively small profit margins.
    small cars generates small profits even here, and even here the equivalent of
    UAW are expensive too, and considering about all the small cars from Fiat are pretty recent (apart from the Ypsilon, which is going to be replaced in a year or so), I suppose they would just rebadge/rebody one of those, and it could work too (perhaps using cars like the Bravo/Delta and so on, not the smaller ones.

They better hope they have something good in the pipes.
    see above
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I would be worried about the quality of those cute Alfas assembled in the US.
    IF they ended up making any cars in the US it would probably be for cars that are primarily sold to Americans (like BMW with the X5 which are assembled in South Carolina for instance).

Since there was no cash involved I don't see how Fiat loses and for us I would like to start seeing Alfas and Lancias in the US again.

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    IF they ended up making any cars in the US it would probably be for cars that are primarily sold to Americans (like BMW with the X5 which are assembled in South Carolina for instance).

Since there was no cash involved I don't see how Fiat loses and for us I would like to start seeing Alfas and Lancias in the US again.
    No issue with US manufacturing. Honda and Toyota have high quality US plants. Ford and GM also have US plants doing high quality work.

wait, so fiat only wants to use chrysler's dealer lots or something? or do they want chrysler to build their cars? that would be disaster.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    wait, so fiat only wants to use chrysler's dealer lots or something? or do they want chrysler to build their cars? that would be disaster.
    It's probably both.

I'd say thought that Chrysler's main problem isn't build quality, but design quality.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's probably both.

I'd say thought that Chrysler's main problem isn't build quality, but design quality.
    Yeah. They've come up with some good, well made stuff, then they turn out a bunch of crap designs. It's pretty annoying actually.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

chrysler can build stuff that stays together long enough to leave the dealership? news to me
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information