Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audi Q5 Snow = QUATTRO!

Audi Q5 Snow = QUATTRO!

Ferrer this one is for you!!

Although many people hate on Audi's handling and how they put their engines so far forward and all that nonsense, Audi's do one thing really well and that is drive in the snow. The Quattro system works really well. Back in December we had a Blizzard here in the tristate area that left us with 2 feet of snow totally unexpected so cleaning crews didn't accomandate properly. I happened to be with my family in Vermont at Stratton skiing and had to come back that day because my brother and sister had to go to work. The 4 hour drive turned into an 11 hour ordeal. It was crazy but the Audi performed extremely well and Quattro proved it's worth. Here's a thread I posted in an Audi forum:

I have Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires 235/60r18. It's an all season tire that performs exceptionally well. First time driving it in this much snow for this long.

I was skiing at Stratton w/ my family. 5 of us in the car. We left Stratton at around 330, my family back in Staten Island were telling us to leave because it's coming down. We got back to I-91 around 430 and ate in Brattleboro, VT. We got on the road around 5 and it was snowing but not too bad. Having driven the Q5 in snow before I had a good idea how it handled. I had my heated mirrors on, fogs, rear fogs and just moved it along, very smooth linear motions. I was passing everything on the road from Massachusetts through Connecticut. The only car to pass me were 2 Porsche Cayenne's. It became tough when you couldn't see the lines on the road because people would wander all over while trying to pass them. The car drives very solid on the snow and very well. Audi's are made for the snow I guess. If the left or right side of the car has traction it will pull you through whatever you need to get through. It really is amazing. When the car hit snow mounds it felt like puddles. The car would barely pull left or right and I always had control. I can only imagine how well it would be if I had proper snow tires on.

I had to drop my sister off in Greenwich CT. I-95 was pretty shut down so I got off and took Rt-1 to get through. I made it through those roads fine, they were pretty empty. She lives on a hilly street and Q5 just trudged up it with no problem at all. Just put your foot down and it goes it doesn't hesitate, it says ok and that 3.2 just sounds great doing it. The car doesn't slide around, it just goes. Her street wasn't even cleaned yet and I went straight down her street without a single issue. Got there around 930PM. Now off to Manhattan (REVIS ISLAND for your JETS fans!!!) Got back on I-95 and it was a parking lot. Managed to get off at exit 19 (Rye) and got back on Rt-1. I took that into the Bronx. The Bronx was hell. People were out, people were walking in the middle of street, could barely see them, no visibility. Buses were stuck, ambulances, cops, you name it and they were stuck. I was just going right around them. Move out of my way!!! The Q5 gets through the snow without any problem, it eats it up and does it so well. Its also very safe as I never ever lost control. At one point on a turn I ran into a huge snow drift, drivers side plowed into it and I was going right into a concrete barricade but before I could react the traction control light turned on and it straightened right out for me. AMAZING. The whole night my family was telling me to slow down but never once was speed a problem.

I did manage to get the Q5 stuck, 3 times. In the Bronx just trying to get out. Those stupid cabbies w. their crown vics and town cars. They skid all over and get stuck so easy. I ended up stuck because there was nowhere to go, when i found a path to go I ended up getting stuck in deep snow going up a hill. Tried rocking, nothing. traction off, nothing. My brother was spotting me and he said my rear wheels weren't turning but my fronts were. Forgot about Torsen doing that. We managed to get a shovel, a little digging and off we were. Continued dodging taxi's and stuck cars. I broke every light home. No need to stop. I managed to get into Manhattan via Morris ave and the 3rd ave bridge. The roads there were cleaned really well. FDR was perfect and i dropped my brother off at 34th st and lexington. This was around 1AM. Long day. Luckily I had enough gas to make it. The Brooklyn bridge ramp had stuck cars trying to get up. I took the tunnel and from then on it was clear. I had the same mentality, just pass everyone and be alone, its safer that way. I did just that and I passed every car I could. Just kept going. When I crossed the Verrazano Bridge, cars were stuck getting in and out the toll booth due to snow drifts. I was able to just cut right through. I passed plow trucks because they were going too slow. Didn't bother me because by now I knew I could handle just about anything Mother Nature could throw at me. I made it home somehow. My street had a big snow drift to turn in, I hit it hard and plowed right through it and then got stuck as I turned into my driveway. Uphill bricks will do that. My family dug me out and it was 2AM and I was home sweet home and safe. My cousins from Texas who have never seen snow like this muchless a Blizzard were amazed. The Q5 did really well and they were just as impressed as I was. I did talk to the car to help her get through this. Her and I were one together and we conquered!!!

This morning I had to pick my brother up from the ferry and I got stuck pulling out of my street, 2 feet of snow and a huge 3.5 foot snow drift, I high centered due to the plow hard packing the snow but I rocked her our and was on my way once again. The car had no issues stopping. When you turn hard right of left it doesn't slide on. None of that. The Quattro system works phenomenal and so does the traction control. Last night was like an obstacle course and the Q5 was king.

The Bronx was hell...oh did i mention the jackass in a BMW X6 who was going nowhere, just sliding cause his dumbass had aftermarket rims and summer tires on it....

I think she deserves some Blizzacks now haha too bad Tire Rack has em sold out for the season... Maybe some 20" summer shoes?

The Quattro setup does have a few flaws because the toresn center diff can go 75% front, 25% rear or 85% rear 15% front normally its set to 60% rear 40% rear. It has open diffs front and rear but Electronic Diff locks (EDL) which uses the ABS to brake a spinning wheel to vector the torque to the wheel that has traction. However the center diff can act as an open diff and send power to both fronts or both rears and not have enough left over to go there as well. If your fronts are stuck or rears are stuck you will have a problem. I hear Audi is working on fixing that with crown gears and clutches. the stability programming on the vehicle is excellent i must say. Yes I did get stuck but if i had winter tires i wouldn't have been stuck.

Quattro really shines when you're moving at speed through the snow. It sends the power where it needs to go instantly. Benefit of a fully mechanical system. No sliding, no pulling, just go go go! I love it!

Enjoy this story too! Some pics as well!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Audi Q5 Snow = QUATTRO!

I liked the Revis island bit. Gotta say though, I get the impression you drive like an asshole
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

LOL. I'm sorry but you have no idea how well a properly equiped and engineered vehicle handles in the snow. First off in these conditions you should have SNOW tires on your car. Would you go out in the snow wearing flip-flops? Considering tires are the only part of the car touching the ground and they cost 1/60th the price of your car, not to mention the cost of killing someone or losing the lives of someone in the car it's irresponsible and downright stupid to drive in poor winter conditions without snow tires.

Secondly, I had to laugh when reading about your FAKE awd car trying to get moving from a stop and only the front wheels were spinning. On top of that your fake limited slip diffs really are an engineering bandaid designed to save money.

Sorry to be shunning you from my high horse but after driving this winter with Blizzaks in an evo 10 with active yaw control (torque vectoring rear diff) and active center differential... plus a helical front diff I may as well be driving a wrc car compared to your q5.

People that live in states with ice and snow that don't buy winter tires blow my friggen mind.... hope you enjoy your $600-700 savings when you're in a casket.

Compared to the Subaru fan/driver I look like a nice person...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I liked the Revis island bit. Gotta say though, I get the impression you drive like an asshole
    Just a bit when I have to. When you just wanna get home and get your family home you do what you gotta do right? When everyone around you is stuck and you're trying to get through.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSubaruSTi View Post
    LOL. I'm sorry but you have no idea how well a properly equiped and engineered vehicle handles in the snow. First off in these conditions you should have SNOW tires on your car. Would you go out in the snow wearing flip-flops? Considering tires are the only part of the car touching the ground and they cost 1/60th the price of your car, not to mention the cost of killing someone or losing the lives of someone in the car it's irresponsible and downright stupid to drive in poor winter conditions without snow tires.

Secondly, I had to laugh when reading about your FAKE awd car trying to get moving from a stop and only the front wheels were spinning. On top of that your fake limited slip diffs really are an engineering bandaid designed to save money.

Sorry to be shunning you from my high horse but after driving this winter with Blizzaks in an evo 10 with active yaw control (torque vectoring rear diff) and active center differential... plus a helical front diff I may as well be driving a wrc car compared to your q5.

People that live in states with ice and snow that don't buy winter tires blow my friggen mind.... hope you enjoy your $600-700 savings when you're in a casket.

I'm glad you know you're on a high horse! As much as I'd love to drive around in a modded STI or EVO I just can't see myself with one for the rest of the year when the roads are dry and I want a vehicle that isn't loud, bump ride or screams KEN BLOCK POSER! (No offense, not saying that this is you) For me I was driving a luxury crossover family vehicle. A vehicle that seats 5 comfortably, is quiet and rides very smooth. It does not go off road not does it see much snow. I wish I had winter tires on it and after driving my 335d w/ winter rubber i see the difference it makes. It's a hassle to have 2 sets of rims and tires and store and switch. Does it make sense, yes. Can i get by without it yes as I have done for many years. I live in NYC, the streets here get cleaned very quickly, especially the major roads which makes the necessity of winter tires even less. One storm that dumps 2 feet of snow every couple of years doesn't warrant the need for winter tires. If i had summer tires on the Audi (if it were an S-Line model) I would be forced to get a second set of winters. I'm normally not driving through a blizzard anyway. Fake awd? I didn't know Quattro was the first lightweight consumer offered all wheel drive system. It's a great system that works really well especially when you are moving. It works really well in my opinion for what it does and what its packaged for.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Reading ur story gives me new appreciation for living in southern California, where we have the luxury of not worrying about needing a certain type of tire for each season. (ex. We can use summer tires year round here pretty much)
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

I'd like to say that as long as you don't drive like an idiot (keep safe following distance, brake early, don't drive fast) dedicated snow tires are not a necessity. My '93 Buick gets around just fine on all-seasons with no traction control or ABS. I'm not saying that snow tires aren't better just that they aren't an absolute necessity, and an extra 600-700 bucks is a big deal to me, a lowly (and poor) pharmacy school student!

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    Just a bit when I have to. When you just wanna get home and get your family home you do what you gotta do right? When everyone around you is stuck and you're trying to get through.
    I hear ya. I'm no saint when I drive either. Just sayin', be careful in the snow. Confidence can flip to disaster pretty quickly in snow/icy conditions. Plus doing a buck-40 on the highway isn't too smart. I've been in cars with friends that do that stuff and it's fun and all that. Thing is, time is literally flying and if you have to come to a stop for something random or unexpected, you're f'ed.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I think that winter tires are a great idea.

I thought that part of being a "car guy" was taking care to be safe and drive well - winter tires make a lot of sense. They are a few hundred bucks, but can they not last several years? I have seen some data on stopping distances with and without winter tires, and there is no comparison. No matter how safe you drive, there are certain things you can't anticipate and having winter tires in winter, when there can be a lot of snow... It is just the thing to do.

In fact, I have heard that AWD is nowhere near as beneficial as snow tires when it comes to winter driving safety.

I hear ya. I'm no saint when I drive either. Just sayin', be careful in the snow. Confidence can flip to disaster pretty quickly in snow/icy conditions. Plus doing a buck-40 on the highway isn't too smart. I've been in cars with friends that do that stuff and it's fun and all that. Thing is, time is literally flying and if you have to come to a stop for something random or unexpected, you're f'ed.
    Are any of us saints when we drive? especially when we love cars. Of course in the snow you throw everything about driving out the window because its a total different ball game. Especially in such adverse conditions such as the ones I was in. Snow is no joke but I've done the mall parking lot drift around and that really helped me understand what happens and how it happens, how to prevent it and what to do when you're in a situation. Luckily that night I never had to deal with any of that. Doing 140 aint smart you're right but we've all done it to see what our car is capable of. I wanted to hit the 155 limiter but everything is just so fast at those speeds. Everything passes quicker, bumps hit faster so i eased off as I was content with that speed and i resumed cruising. I checked to see it was a long open straight and there was no traffic on it just to be safe. In case you want a video of it, here you go!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM4TB6cj270"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM4TB6cj270[/ame]
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

This. Rude behaviour behind the wheel doesn't get you and your family home any quicker.
    Are any of us saints when we drive? especially when we love cars. Of course in the snow you throw everything about driving out the window because its a total different ball game.
    Competent and safe driving can include aggressive maneuvers when neccessary, but this is the most idiotic statement of the thread.
    On snow or ice, in high winds or heavy rain, everything (you think) you know about driving safely is REQUIRED.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    This. Rude behaviour behind the wheel doesn't get you and your family home any quicker.

Competent and safe driving can include aggressive maneuvers when neccessary, but this is the most idiotic statement of the thread.
    On snow or ice, in high winds or heavy rain, everything (you think) you know about driving safely is REQUIRED.
    well i guess my "rude" behavior did get me and my family home quicker and safe.

Too bad you totally misunderstood what you deem "the most idiotic statement of the thread" i drove very safely but there comes a time when driving through 2 feet of snow you have to muscle your way through. Where momentum is needed to keep you going. Like going up a hill to an intersection to turn? or getting through snow drifts.

It's funny because after the responses i got from members on this forum i quickly remembered why i check these boards less and less. It seems most of the posters think they're better than everyone else and know the best way and your way, which worked for you is wrong and such a bad idea. It's really not very welcoming and that could be why the popularity has been steadily declining. Also I feel like a lot of the posters are hypocrites.

oh well...
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I don't drive 145 mph, especially not in the winter.

I can say that that isn't such a great idea. It is one thing to be doing 70 in a 60, but 145, especially in winter... That is not a great idea.

I did a lot of dumb shit when I first got my license, but that was 7 odd years ago now. I realize that if I want to feel the sensation of speed, I will save it for a video game, track, or go kart. Going 230 km/h on public roads is not really ever safe - even less so when the posted limit is less than half of that.

After what I read you write in the other thread, I think it is fair to question your driving safety.

Whether or not we of UCP are being hypocrites, I do not know.

I am.

I drive an Audi.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

well i guess my "rude" behavior did get me and my family home quicker and safe.

Too bad you totally misunderstood what you deem "the most idiotic statement of the thread" i drove very safely but there comes a time when driving through 2 feet of snow you have to muscle your way through. Where momentum is needed to keep you going. Like going up a hill to an intersection to turn? or getting through snow drifts.
    Coolie chill out dude. No one here's calling you out, just saying that you gotta watch out in the winter. I'm in the same area. We're all iced up with snow-banks for streets. If duty calls I get that you needa do what's right. Not saying you'll crash or do something stupid, but pulling double the speed-limit in the dead of winter ain't smart. All it takes is one slip and you're sideways into a poll or car. Quattro's good and all but it's not superman's cape bro
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information