Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Mclaren F1 totalled...

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Is it really totalled?.

as long as the tub is not damaged, no.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The most important thing is Rowan Atkinson was not seriously hurt or killed.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Whatever happened to that silver F1 that burned up a few years ago in California?
    You mean this one?

Video: Rare $2 million McLaren F1 goes out in flames - rpmGo.com

Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Who knows?
    This guy does.

The car was chassis #067 and it was fully repaired by McLaren. The final chapter of the story didn't get nearly as much publicity as the flaming photos did but it was in an article printed in Sports Car Market Letter magazine back in October 2010. Here's the online reprint:

A McLaren F1’s Rise from the Ashes

An interesting read for sure.

>8^)
    ER

So is this the second one he totalled or is it the same one he totalled a few years ago? i dont recall him being on top gear except if its after season 17 episode 2
    Current - 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
    Current - 1998 Honda Civic 160i Luxline

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen_Ferio View Post
    So is this the second one he totalled or is it the same one he totalled a few years ago? i dont recall him being on top gear except if its after season 17 episode 2
    The previous crash wasn't a write-off, was it? It was more like a bit crashed at the front and that was it...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It definitely looked in once piece in that first photo. Guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
    #033 - crashed by its German owner on the Autobahn. He chose not to have McLaren repair the car and instead ordered a new one.
    A luxury the world no longer has.

That Mclaren story is fantastic. Ruthless efficiency. And the insurance company shared the same passion for restoring the car to best-possible condition.
    Last edited by TVR IS KING; 08-07-2011 at 01:51 AM.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen_Ferio View Post
    i dont recall him being on top gear except if its after season 17 episode 2
    He was just on Top Gear two weeks ago. Watch it here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UJ03t1_XEg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UJ03t1_XEg[/ame]

Clearly the man knows how to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The previous crash wasn't a write-off, was it? It was more like a bit crashed at the front and that was it...
    Not even close - mostly superficial damage to the bodywork in the nose. The car was put back together good-as-new that time for around £100,000. It wouldn't have even been that bad but the nose of his F1 ended up underneath the car he rear-ended.

>8^)
    ER

Like I said Ive only seen up to s17 e2 of top gear
    Current - 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
    Current - 1998 Honda Civic 160i Luxline

Not even close - mostly superficial damage to the bodywork in the nose. The car was put back together good-as-new that time for around £100,000.
    lol - theres nothing superficial in the cost when Mclaren cars are doing the repairs

just a clutch is a £ 7,000 peice of kit (good for how many miles again ? LOL)

This guy does.

The car was chassis #067 and it was fully repaired by McLaren. The final chapter of the story didn't get nearly as much publicity as the flaming photos did but it was in an article printed in Sports Car Market Letter magazine back in October 2010. Here's the online reprint:

A McLaren F1’s Rise from the Ashes

An interesting read for sure.

>8^)
    ER
    Haha, touche.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsight View Post
    lol - theres nothing superficial in the cost when Mclaren cars are doing the repairs
    I certainly get your sentiments, but most people looking at the photos showing damage from his first accident would think the entire front end is trashed. Rather, as you can see from this exploded drawing below, the bodywork on the nose that was most heavily damaged is just a clamshell that covers all the important bits. Anytime you do what was reported to be £100,000 worth of damage to something it is serious, but so far as the structure of the car was concerned this first incident wasn't a serious accident.

>8^)
    ER
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peloton25; 08-07-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: 'was' because

I certainly get your sentiments, but most people looking at the photos showing damage from his first accident would think the entire front end is trashed. Rather, as you can see from this exploded drawing below, the bodywork on the nose that was most heavily damaged is just a clamshell that covers all the important bits. Anytime you do what reported to be £100,000 worth of damage to something it is serious, but so far as the structure of the car was concerned this first incident wasn't a serious accident.

>8^)
    ER
    It appears to my untrained eye that Atkinson's F1 split apart EXACTLY as intended in your drawing. Great engineering on the part of McLaren! Let's hope he gets it back on the road.

Edit- Any truth to the story that there was a German owner who complained about fuel starvation issues to McLaren who found it happening at speeds of 200+mph?
    Last edited by kingofthering; 08-07-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I've not heard about the fuel starvation issue, but German banker, Dr Thomas Bscher who was also the one time President of Bugatti prior to the Veyron's release, did used to commute from his home in Cologne to his office in Frankfurt every morning at speeds over 200mph on the Autobahn. This evidence was uncovered during a service visit when McLaren downloaded the information from the ECU.

>8^)
    ER

Thread Information