Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Politically (in)correct

Politically (in)correct

These days being a car enthusiast is a hard task. For a start there's the ever increasing pressure from those who say they care about the environment. But there's more. The increasing number of speed cameras and speed bumps promoted by people who think that all speed of any sort kills. Then there are all sort of regulations which manufacturers must comply with, and most differ from country to country. For some reason we seem to be out of the law a bit, we don't seem to be welcomed at all. The fact that we are a small part of the world's population doesn't help either.

I like big engines. It's part of what makes cars so great. If that does bring us a high fuel consumption, so be it. I want to spent my hard earned money as I want, I don't care what others think. Those others, that buy hybrids because they pretend to be saving the world, don't realise that if they could see out of their small close-minded world there would be far better alternatives. But of course, actually saving the world has nothing to do with it.

I like the power. I like the speed. I don't care if people are concerned that because you drive a little bit faster than the others you may be having too much fun. And of course nowadays, if they can't have fun no one can. They say that the speed cameras and speed bumps and all those sorts of measures are there to save lives, but most of them aren't. Not when you have a large portion of those on well maintained roads and straight stretches and almost none on dangerous points.

I like the sound. I love the sound. I'm not bothered if that upsets the well to do people. I want my burbling V8s, high revving straight sixes, operatic V12s or whiny superchargers. I don't want them to be muted by some stupid regulation. I want them to sound like they should, I want them to sound raw and mechanical, because that's the way they were meant to be, and not cold and clinical.

I like a bit of danger. All cars should retain their characteristics and not all tamed and with the same behaviour. Is rear wheel drive difficult? Well, grow up, be a man. And if you can't then stay with your Honda, but please do not pretend ruining the good cars for all the others. Difference is where the spice of life is, this pretension of making everything the same is making most cars dull and boring, and ultimately irrelevant.

I like a bit of difficulty. Are traditional manual gearboxes a thing of the past? Maybe, but comparing them to modern dual clutches and then trying to argue that they aren't as efficient or as fast is simply completely missing the point. There's a pleasure to be had in mastering the controls of your car, in applying the brakes well at the correct time, in executing a good gear change or in matching the good line through a corner. Please don't make cars do that for us. We like driving, not playing the PlayStation.

I like the impracticality. I don't care if my car's only good for driving. I don't care if I can't give you a lift because the cabin is tiny or if I can't go and buy the groceries with my car because there's no boot to put them in the first place. Some cars are just meant to be driving machines and I'm in my perfect right to buy them if I want. And I'm not bothered at all if that upsets you.

I like everything the car represents for me. It's an element of freedom. An element of enjoyment. An element of fun. An element of distinction. The car sets me apart from you, and all the better for it. However, it seems we are losing this battle. All we like about cars seems to be disappearing from the radar. It's increasingly difficult, not only to justify yourself (something which actually we shouldn't have to do), but just go on with your passion without anyone annoying you and just leaving you alone. Being a car enthusiast has just become completely and utterly politically incorrect on all levels. And I love being politically incorrect.

Do you feel the same? Do you like cars? Are you politically incorrect?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

My two cents on the environmental park. I believe cars contribute less than 10% of all greenhouse gases emitted globally (I might be somewhat off on the %-age, but I know it's not as large as some people expect). Power plants, agriculture, horticulture and animal husbandry produce a vast majority of all greenhouses gases. However, since most people don't readily see that, they'll point the finger at the big block chevy as the culprit.

Most high output and sports cars aren't even driven as much, and to say that people who enjoy such machines are non-environmentalists is just plain false. We do the world a bigger favor by restoring old cars than having to waste resources on a new one.

I love cars just as much, and will not stop enjoying my hobby any less. I'll just point a finger at the landfill in my town and say: "maybe you should look at that first..."
    "It's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"
    - ...?

Without going into every aspect mentioned in post 1, the first thing that one should always realise is that a car is a means, not a purpose....It is supposed to get you from one point to another. The way the car does that is of secundary order and that is where the differences and preferences arise.
    I find the conditions that I apply to my personal choice of a car such sufficent space, an outstanding comfort, and a reasonable use of scarce natural resources, which are the common possession of mankind, are fully compatible to the regulations that are being imposed on us, in whatever country. Therefore, to answer your question, I like cars, but I am still considering myself to be politically correct.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I feel the same way Ferrer, and for that reason I've given up on looking to new vehicles for a raw fun time, because the older stuff is just so much more rewarding. I'm at peace with the issue at hand, because rather than count on any given manufacturer to keep producing cars the way they have in the past, I can just as easily go out and buy one from the past and be far happier with it. 9 times out of 10, new stuff looks like trash anyway, so who wants it?
    As for society and their impact on the fun we have, there isn't a whole lot we can do about it other than keep our heads down and leave the hooligan in us all at the track where he/she won't get us in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Without going into every aspect mentioned in post 1, the first thing that one should always realise is that a car is a means, not a purpose....It is supposed to get you from one point to another. The way the car does that is of secundary order and that is where the differences and preferences arise.
    I find the conditions that I apply to my personal choice of a car such sufficent space, an outstanding comfort, and a reasonable use of scarce natural resources, which are the common possession of mankind, are fully compatible to the regulations that are being imposed on us, in whatever country. Therefore, to answer your question, I like cars, but I am still considering myself to be politically correct.
    Have you never driven, just to drive without actually going nowhere in particular?
    Visca Catalunya!

In my opinion, all those eco hooligans fail when they label every car as totally evil. Cars aren't the major source of climate change or CO2 emission. Some of My neighbours are greenies, and they really don't like my car. They drive a Prius and act like this was the only acceptable way of driving. I ignore them most the time, but sometimes i think that they may have a point. But IMO that's no reason to demonize all sorts of cars that aren't totally built for saving fuel.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Have you never driven, just to drive without actually going nowhere in particular?
    My Chuck Berry days date from a VERY long time ago...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

One of the big questions that i always discussed with our testdriver at my internship:
    "Is driving a vehicle with a big engine in a lazy, low rev fashion really so much worse than driving a tiny, highly stressed engine?"
    We wanted to test this out on the dyno on my school but unfortunately it was fully booked. Perhaps in the future..

This point came to the discussion when we were having a coffee after a long drive to Southern France and back in a Clio RS, a 207 1.4, the C3 Picasso 1.4 and a MiTo. On our journey we scored a much better consumption in the Clio. Why? We think because the engine did not have to work so much as the others to get along in traffic.
    When we paid attention to it the same was the result in other tests.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    My Chuck Berry days date from a VERY long time ago...
    Those who know the reference get free entry to the "Old farts" section of UCP

I compete in hillclimbs, rallies and track.
    YES, it's not "green" to be doing those activities .. and I don't give a toss
    The impact from motorsport is miniscule compared to general motoring.
    Life has to be worth living and enjoyable.
    Some people like to climb mountains.... an activity that requires the rescue services to regularly fly helicopters and land rovers in emergencies and also in TRAINING. So NOTHING is "green" no matter how the eco-warriers want to put it. All of life is a trade-off.

I run my house cooler than most and do nothing except build it to have through air movement to keep cool in summer.

Cars aren't the culprit for the planet, our cultural life styles are .... and why some countries refused to sign the Tokyo agreement Interesting statistic thrown out there in an article on the gulf oil spill .... USA uses double the oil of Europe. ALL oil burning produces CO2, not just cars and so there are many other things needed to bring balance to the planet than stopping cars being an "enjoyment" -- one which COST utlimately limits anyway
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I absolutly agree, i said it to my wife the other day after Tesla promoted the roadster on the national news, i just went, 'dammit, i wish i had a 5.0 mustang with a kenne bell and flames coming out the back every time i shifted'.

Why should i carry the 'guilt' of not being 'green' and still have to see factorys every day pumping out all kinds of toxic gases, container ships that in one trip alone polute more than a million cars, open sewers, etc.

We now have a new car tax that focuses on CO2 levels, i have to pay a lot more to have a fun NEW car. I guess that's why new fun cars are on the way out and i'm forced to look at the used car market to find something that i would like to drive every day instead of the econobox everyone is trying to shove down our troats.

It just gets me mad that the car was chosen as the target of all this 'green' fashion.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    I absolutly agree, i said it to my wife the other day after Tesla promoted the roadster on the national news, i just went, 'dammit, i wish i had a 5.0 mustang with a kenne bell and flames coming out the back every time i shifted'.
    Thank you for actually sumarising my long post in a sentence...

In a way it's like we've got a bit the same situation the bikers used to have, or still do.
    Visca Catalunya!

The car was chosen simply because it's an easy target for city dwelling green types to vent their middle-class rage against. IE: bullshit.

The fact remains that there is no reason a car can't at once be a snarling beast and efficient. And rightly so - we are dealing with finite resources. But when you have ships that pump millions of tonnes of Co2 into the atmosphere to bring you that Macbook that you organise your green rallies on while wearing imported clothing, shoes and an iPod (forgive the mac hate, but for some reason it fits the image) it's not going to do much.

The innovation will be in producing efficiently, not efficiently producing Co2.

Having said that, Driving is a visceral thrill and it's unlikely to be killed any time soon - there is no real alternative.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Thank you for actually sumarising my long post in a sentence...

In a way it's like we've got a bit the same situation the bikers used to have, or still do.
    even shorter would have been: I like to show the finger to the world....(and there is an English expression that actually uses two words for that).

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    The car was chosen simply because it's an easy target for city dwelling green types to vent their middle-class rage against. IE: bullshit.

The fact remains that there is no reason a car can't at once be a snarling beast and efficient. And rightly so - we are dealing with finite resources. But when you have ships that pump millions of tonnes of Co2 into the atmosphere to bring you that Macbook that you organise your green rallies on while wearing imported clothing, shoes and an iPod (forgive the mac hate, but for some reason it fits the image) it's not going to do much.

The innovation will be in producing efficiently, not efficiently producing Co2.

Having said that, Driving is a visceral thrill and it's unlikely to be killed any time soon - there is no real alternative.
    In relative terms ships (consumption in relation to carrying performance) are VERY efficient, so that arguments sinks into the ocean.

Wasn't it trains that produced more CO2 per passenger and km than cars?

(At least under some circunstances that is)
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information